DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inexpensive Mavic Mini Battery Tester

John_McF

Reactions
Hi,

I did a search of the forum before I posted this but couldn't see a previous post. I came across this Mavic Mini Battery Tester on Amazon for only $12.99. It arrived today and works perfectly. As you can see, not only does have bars indicating the approximate charge remaining, it displays a percentage value. This is much better than trying to estimate the charge based on the lights on the charger or inserting the battery into the drone and viewing the percentage using the app.

51DYWXPcxvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Cheers,

John

The behavior of the DJI Fly app is based on the battery telemetry it reads from the powered on drone, why would you want to rely on a battery reading outside the app ?

The behavior of the DJI Fly app is based on the battery telemetry it reads from the powered on drone, why would you want to rely on a battery reading outside the app ?
If the precise battery percentage is something you would like to know for your spare batteries, why wouldn't you use a gadget like this? It's not like it's trying to estimate the energy left with a huge uncertainty. Those are smart batteries that report their own level when asked correctly. The info you get is completely the same as the one the drone gets from the battery.
What I would like is to be able to simply discharge the battery to 60% for storage, without the need to babysit it. To simply know the percentage on it's own is not useful enough for me to get a gadget like this. Seems I'll have to build my own.

What I would like is to be able to simply discharge the battery to 60% for storage, without the need to babysit it. To simply know the percentage on it's own is not useful enough for me to get a gadget like this. Seems I'll have to build my own.

The Smart battery of the MA2 auto discharges to the optimum storage level

1599722864714.png

I don't have a MA2. Even though it's a cool feature I would actually prefer to be able to control it myself. A smart battery can't know if plan to fly in the next couple of days or not. It probably does not start discharging unless it's been sitting near full for maybe a week or more? What if it decides to discharge a day before I plan on using it? It's also has to carry additional discharge electronics (mosfet and discharge power resistor) that can fail and also do have additional mass (as small as that may be). The energy is dumped as heat while with external discharger you could use it for something useful.

I would like something external so that the drone doesn't have to be powered on everytime I wanted to check a battery.
Ideally I would like one of these Mavic Mini battery info but I think building one is beyond my capabilities/confidence, especially when it comes to being certain I get the correct bits etc.

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
Hi,

I have six Mavic Mini batteries. The only reason I purchased this was to get a better indication of the charge state of each so that I can determine the best order to charge them when using a QC 3.0 power bank in the field.

Cheers.

You can monitor your mavic mini batteries status by using an smart charger Imax B6 type.

Most difficult part is building a proper battery conector for mavic mini batteries.

I explain deeper in this video:

Hi,

I did a search of the forum before I posted this but couldn't see a previous post. I came across this Mavic Mini Battery Tester on Amazon for only $12.99. It arrived today and works perfectly. As you can see, not only does have bars indicating the approximate charge remaining, it displays a percentage value. This is much better than trying to estimate the charge based on the lights on the charger or inserting the battery into the drone and viewing the percentage using the app.

View attachment 112751

Cheers,

John
Thanks for the information. Sounds like a great addition. I'm always wondering what the percentage charge actually is rather than guessing from blinking lights on the charger. Just one more way of monitoring battery charge. I have one on order!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair