DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inferior picture quality in 1080p than Phantom 4

Webcruise

Reactions
I am wondering why nobody is complaining about the inferior picture quality in 1080p in comparison to the Phantom 4.

The reason is because the Mavic uses the "pixel binning" method instead of the "super sampling" method of the Phantom 4.

For those who don´t know the advantages and disadvantages:
Pixel binning: chooses in downscaling a random pixel color of the surrounding four pixels but is much faster in sense of compute speed and reflects in a much better latency.

Super sampling: regards the surrounding pixels and chooses the best pixels to meet the best possible quality which needs more compute power but results in a higher latency.

Probably the reason could be because DJI will be publishing the goggle´s and would need a low latency video picture, which is fine to do so, but,

I would really wish that DJI would update their FW to use the super sampling method when flying without goggles to get the best possible video image on SD-card and pixel binning when low latency is required for goggles.

Usually I film in 4k and downsample on my own with final cut i.e.. But sometimes I really want high frame video (more than 25/30 pictures per second) to get a smoother video or to do slo-mo on post processing.

What do you think?

I am wondering why nobody is complaining about the inferior picture quality in 1080p in comparison to the Phantom 4.

The reason is because the Mavic uses the "pixel binning" method instead of the "super sampling" method of the Phantom 4.

For those who don´t know the advantages and disadvantages:
Pixel binning: chooses in downscaling a random pixel color of the surrounding four pixels but is much faster in sense of compute speed and reflects in a much better latency.

Super sampling: regards the surrounding pixels and chooses the best pixels to meet the best possible quality which needs more compute power but results in a higher latency.

Probably the reason could be because DJI will be publishing the goggle´s and would need a low latency video picture, which is fine to do so, but,

I would really wish that DJI would update their FW to use the super sampling method when flying without goggles to get the best possible video image on SD-card and pixel binning when low latency is required for goggles.

Usually I film in 4k and downsample on my own with final cut i.e.. But sometimes I really want high frame video (more than 25/30 pictures per second) to get a smoother video or to do slo-mo on post processing.

What do you think?
Old news.
Has been widely covered already

Old news, yes. But where is the outcome. I did not find any feedback on this here?

Best regards,
Alexander (Munich)

Because it's a known characteristic, people can and do read about it, are able to choose between the Mavic and other products based or whether it's something important for them, and they (hopefully) started to realize that acting like whiny kids won't change it. It's how it is, deal with it and make your choices accordingly.
60fps lovers can even go 4K with the new products if they like it that much now :)

Last edited:
Kilrah, I think you did not get the point. My question was related to how to improve this quadcopter, your post is less than helpful and makes no sense and brings no benefit to anyone.

I love it when peeps comparing the Mavic to the blah blah blah. I bought it for the portability. I would still buy it even if it put out 720 videos and 5Mpx pix, because thats all I need. For the 8K 120 fps I have my Red Dragon and about 10 huge Pelican cases of equipment to lift it up lol

I love it when peeps comparing the Mavic to the blah blah blah. I bought it for the portability. I would still buy it even if it put out 720 videos and 5Mpx pix, because thats all I need. For the 8K 120 fps I have my Red Dragon and about 10 huge Pelican cases of equipment to lift it up lol
As far as I'm aware, the Weapon (not Dragon) doesn't do 8K without Helium upgrade nor is it capable of 120fps even at 2.4:1

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku