DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Info on camera chip used in Mavic Pro

woolvie

Reactions
Explains why if you use 1080p mode you should shoot at 30fps and not 60. The 60 fps at 1080 is really for FPV when the goggles become available.
This was posted by DJI on another forum. I assume its ok to post here.

Attachments

• Mavic Pro 1080p60.pdf
    454.7 KB · Views: 117
Explains why if you use 1080p mode you should shoot at 30fps and not 60. The 60 fps at 1080 is really for FPV when the goggles become available.
Appears the 1080p 60/96 is unusable.
Yet another indication that DJI are totally clueless in designing camera systems!

I suspect many will shoot at 4k or 2.7k (better choice considering the bit rates) and if needed, down sample to 1080. That usually provides a better 1080 video. The Mavic Pro's camera was not intended for professional level video. I'm sure the limitations of cost, size and weight all played in to it. For the use it was designed, it's not a bad camera system. As noted the 1080@60fps was designed for FPV.

I suspect many will shoot at 4k or 2.7k (better choice considering the bit rates) and if needed, down sample to 1080. That usually provides a better 1080 video. The Mavic Pro's camera was not intended for professional level video. I'm sure the limitations of cost, size and weight all played in to it. For the use it was designed, it's not a bad camera system. As noted the 1080@60fps was designed for FPV.
Yes, but many don't really understand why they are shooting in 4k or have a target for final delivery.
The higher frame rates are preferable in some instances for temporal motion/resolution and utilising binning means we are stuck with crap 1080.

I always shoot at 4k on my pro equipment but don't consider the Mavic pro to be any where near a pro level video system. I'll shoot the Mavic at 2.7k. and while I would prefer to have a usable 60fps, for this level of chip and lens 30 will be ok. If you really need the 60fps get (or keep)
the P4. The Mavic Pro is not designed too be a replacement for the Phantom series.

I always shoot at 4k on my pro equipment but don't consider the Mavic pro to be any where near a pro level video system. I'll shoot the Mavic at 2.7k. and while I would prefer to have a usable 60fps, for this level of chip and lens 30 will be ok. If you really need the 60fps get (or keep)
the P4. The Mavic Pro is not designed too be a replacement for the Phantom series.
I'm fine as I have two Inspires but for portability I just wished the Mavic could do half decent 60fps.
Oh well, it will only be a throw away platform so I shall have to make do with what it can produce.

I'm fine as I have two Inspires but for portability I just wished the Mavic could do half decent 60fps.
Oh well, it will only be a throw away platform so I shall have to make do with what it can produce.
I sold an Inspire for the very reason of portability. It's a great platform but portable it is not. I'm afraid I will be tempted by the Inspire II though. The Mavic should be fun if nothing else.

Thanks for posting this. Interesting.

Appears the 1080p 60/96 is unusable.
Yet another indication that DJI are totally clueless in designing camera systems!
Good quality slow motion is very hard to achieve, even on Panasonic GH4, one of the best consumers camera for video, 96 fps at 100 mbps is unusable.

Wow, and I always thought the Mavic camera had the same sensor as the P4 except with a different lens.
Looks like the sweet spot is 2.7K @ 30FPS = 60mbs.
4K isn't 100mbs = too much compression.
1080p@60fps = too much moire (softening fixes this to a certain extent).

Last edited:
Wow, and I always thought the Mavic camera had the same sensor as the P4 except with a different lens.
Looks like the sweet spot is 2.7K @ 30FPS = 60mbs.
4K isn't 100mbs = too much compression.
1080p@60fps = too much moire (softening fixes this to a certain extent).
Yea, I agree.

I've seen a Youtuber suggest getting a dedicated device to use when flying the spark. I currently use my daily Pixel XL and it is always a hassle to turn off mobile data then connect via WIFI to the RC. Also, the cache stores takes up tons of room. Wondering if anyone else uses a dedicated device. Considering buying something cheap (Under $100) should I go Android or iOS (ipod touch?)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54