DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Information on Cuban Customs

endamcguane

Reactions
Hi,

It's my first time ever posting anything on any online forum but I think when it comes to possibly losing your drone any information is helpful and I hope this post helps anyone who found themselves in the position I was in just a few days ago. (Nov 2019)

I'm on a round the world trip with girlfriend and Cuba was our first stop. At the airport in Havana they scan and check all bags coming through. My drone was seized and over the course of 2 hours or so I was brought from official to official to see what was to be done.

Long story short I left the airport but my drone was taken into a white cotton sack and secured with blue cable ties. It was put in a wooden crate behind a desk.

I was also given a document (in Spanish naturally) which said it would be kept in Retention for 30 days, after which it is available to collect (if deemed safe) for a 30 day window if you have proof you are leaving the country. All of this, it turns out, is completely made up.

Cubans I met and spoke to told me to go to the airport early on the day we leave and be mad as hell. Start showing your passport and asking for a manager. Demand your property back and state that you will speak to your embassy etc.

All that goes against my better nature and I would rather avoid an argument and a show, but we did it....and it worked!

Arrived 6 hours early. Couldn't speak to customs until 3hours or so before flight when you are checked in. The customs people are where you walk through the body scanner at the airport. That seems to be their office.

I didn't raise my voice or anything but I was stern. I showed my document and they just said to come back in an hour. I went to grab my document again and insisted that they get my property immediately. They can be very slow to do anything, so I stood there and waited until they picked up the phone and rang the "office". I was told there was no one answering so I just said to ring again. It went on like this for an hour. I hovered around and just stayed there all the time.

Umpteen times I was told the drone was lost, it was on its way, wait 5 more minutes, it's coming, it's lost...I had 30 minutes before my flight left so I started giving them the embassy talk, disgrace talk, showing my passport and saying this was theft. I even started gesturing and clapping loudly at them for them to ring again...embarrassing, I know.

Then, with 20 minutes to go...the white sack with the blue cable ties turns up. I signed some form, paid a fee (35CUC - about 35EUR) and hopped onto my plane.

If going to Cuba only, leave the drone at home.
If travelling onwards, see can you send it to a hotel, hostel or friend in another country you're visiting rather than bringing it to Cuba.
If bringing it to Cuba, it will probably be seized. You will get it back, but do not lose the document you get when they take it from you, show up early on your departure date and be firm, cross and not accepting of excuses. Even if that goes against your nature.

Note,
I met with customs on departure at 4am. So it's 24hr.

Customs officials are all young and look like they don't want to be there. They don't. Most are doing this as part of their 2 years civil service. It's an assigned job and they are not allowed to quit.

Also, I landed in one terminal (2) but then flew out from another (3). So don't worry about that if that happens to you.

If you are in Cuba and your drone is seized, enjoy Cuba! Great place, great people. But know that you have work to do on departure. It will be annoying, but you'll get it!!

Last edited:
Hi. I made an account just to reply on your message. I am happy you have your drone back. I think this is very helpful information. I am going on a 8 month trip next year with my girl as well, through north and south america. I really want to bring a drone (probably the mavic mini for it being light to travel with and less restrictions in some foreign countries), but i was (and still am) hesitating, only because of Cuba. Cuba is a country i really like to visit, but is also pretty much the only country on our travel list that has banned drones. I would really be disappointed if i cant bring a drone on our 8 month trip, only because Cuba (where we will be 3 weeks i guess) prohibits it. I will have to find a way, maybe your tip of sending it to the next hotel is good to look in to. I think Mexico will be the next stop after Cuba for us.

Can you tell me what drone you were travelling with? Do you think they will notice and confiscate mini drones like the mavic mini, since there is obviously a huge size difference between the phantoms for instance...?

In the end, i'd be happy to pay 35 EUR if that guarantees customs giving me my drone back after a couple of weeks, but your story doesn't really reassure me.

Reactions: endamcguane
Can You disassemble the drone into parts and leave it in different pieces of luggage? Maybe that’s a bad idea, but possibly worth a try... mix it in with a few other odds and ends too.

Reactions: endamcguane
Hi. I made an account just to reply on your message. I am happy you have your drone back. I think this is very helpful information. I am going on a 8 month trip next year with my girl as well, through north and south america. I really want to bring a drone (probably the mavic mini for it being light to travel with and less restrictions in some foreign countries), but i was (and still am) hesitating, only because of Cuba. Cuba is a country i really like to visit, but is also pretty much the only country on our travel list that has banned drones. I would really be disappointed if i cant bring a drone on our 8 month trip, only because Cuba (where we will be 3 weeks i guess) prohibits it. I will have to find a way, maybe your tip of sending it to the next hotel is good to look in to. I think Mexico will be the next stop after Cuba for us.

Can you tell me what drone you were travelling with? Do you think they will notice and confiscate mini drones like the mavic mini, since there is obviously a huge size difference between the phantoms for instance...?

In the end, i'd be happy to pay 35 EUR if that guarantees customs giving me my drone back after a couple of weeks, but your story doesn't really reassure me.

Glad to hear you're more informed.

Yeah, very same. 6 months with my girlfriend and have arrived in Mexico now after 2 weeks in Cuba. I've brought my Mavic Air for the exact reasons you suggest. Honestly, if I were you, for 100% peace of mind, send it by courier or reliable mail to your hostel or maybe hotel in mexico. Just to be sure.

For instance, I had to stand at the customs office and demand they answer a ringing phone in case it was someone ringing about my drone. It was that bad. And every 5 minutes I was asking the manager "what's happening now??". You have to keep on top of them.

Again, for peace of mind, look into having it delivered to you by courier in Mexico.

You should get it back, but if someone at the airport decided not to bother answering their phone they night I might have a different story. Besides, you can't fly it there. I read of an Australian guy who was imprisoned for flying one, could be an urban myth but not worth risking.

Can You disassemble the drone into parts and leave it in different pieces of luggage? Maybe that’s a bad idea, but possibly worth a try... mix it in with a few other odds and ends too.

Not worth the drama I think. It may get through but you can't fly it with any peace of mind.

Apparently attitudes are relaxing in Cuba regarding drones etc, but as of right now I'd be hesitant. Just to be sure...

I have been looking into sending a drone by mail from for instance USA to Mexico, but Mexican mail also seems very unreliable. I read about delivery times of more then 1 month... Maybe i have to look into a more reliable carrier, as i do still think that is a better way then leaving it at customs...

I have absolutely no intention to fly in Cuba as it is prohibited, so that is not the reason i would like to bring a drone. I would just like to bring it on the entire 8 month trip, and Cuba could be a deal breaker. I will be going next July for Canada and USA first, so fingers crossed Cuban government has lifted the ban on drones this time next year...

How's the trip? I fly in 7 days to cuba, from cuba i fly to Panama and Costa Rica. Want to take the MM... but reading all the horrible stories...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots