DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Input Requested -- FPV Transition Guide

Chaosrider

Reactions
To put this in context, I've been a technical writer for 100 years, and I decided that I'm going to put together a formal guide for transitioning to the DJI FPV. I very much wanted a document like this one when I started flying FPV, and not finding one, I made up my own training plan, which worked well.

I had exactly one training accident during my transition to Manual Mode. I managed to kill one of the batteries, but other than that, the damage was minor. I replaced one prop, put in a new battery, and I was back in the air immediately.

I got into a discussion with DJI about the event, and they suggested that I send the drone, with the battery, in for diagnostics, and replace the battery if needed. Since the aircraft was flying, I was reluctant to do that, but when I started to notice what seemed to be a slow response when I "punched out" to go back to Normal mode, I decided it was worth getting that diagnostic done to see if anything else had gotten dinged up in the process.

I got my replacement FPV and new battery back Wednesday. Thursday I finally managed to get all of the components linked up again (a bit of an ordeal), and I did a quick flight in Normal mode as a systems check. Today I've done a couple of Sport Mode Flights, and tomorrow, I'll be making the step back up to Manual Mode.

One of my motivations for writing this is to try to reduce the fear and intimidation factor for people who might be interested in trying out the FPV. To de-mystify the transition process. FPV flying isn't for everyone, but I think more people would buy one and enjoy it, if they could get an idea of what it would take to learn to fly it, before they buy it.

Today I'm requesting input of two different kinds:

1) Suggestions from existing FPV pilots about what worked for them, what didn't, and what they think beginning FPV pilots should know and do.
2) Questions from people who are interested in FPV flying, but haven't flown an FPV yet.

The initial draft is attached. I very much look forward to your comments!

:cool:

Attachments

• 22-07-22 DJI Mini-2 to FPV Transition Guide.pdf
    9.9 KB · Views: 14
Just got my DJI FPV yesterday and am reading the manuals. Based on your table of contents I would really benefit from such document. I have been flying a M2P several years, so am indeed undergoing a transition and, from what I can see, FPV will be great for video and for putting me in the pilot's seat.

Thank you for working on this.

Just got my DJI FPV yesterday and am reading the manuals. Based on your table of contents I would really benefit from such document. I have been flying a M2P several years, so am indeed undergoing a transition and, from what I can see, FPV will be great for video and for putting me in the pilot's seat.

Thank you for working on this.
The video output from the FPV isn't anything special, about on a par with the Mini-2.

But it can't be beaten for putting you in the pilot's seat! That was what I was looking for from the moment I first flew a drone last year, and the DJI FPV completely delivers!

It will probably take me a couple of weeks to put the Transition Guide together. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions you have, here or in a private message.

The first thing to do is to read the manual cover-to-cover, which you're already doing. The second thing...and I think you'll find this helpful...is to watch the FREE "FPV Deep Dive" course at Pilot Institute. It's an excellent overview of the numerous systems and features of the FPV.

When you start flying it, leave it in Normal mode for a while. In Normal mode, it's basically a big, fat, powerful Mini-2, although not quite as graceful. I spent the first two weeks just in Normal mode, which was probably excessive, but I'm not rich, and I very seriously didn't want to lose it.

I'm not sure how fast your M2P is. In Normal mode, the biggest difference between the Mini-2 and the FPV is the speed. At my elevation (5200 ft MSL), the best I can get out of my Mini-2s is 22 mph, flat out straight and level. The FPV in Normal mode gets about 32 mph. If you're flying in a wide open field, that might not matter much, but when you're flying along the uneven rocky edge of a canyon wall at relatively low elevation, as I do, you definitely need to get used to the higher speed.

Once you've flown the FPV for a while, you'll find yourself wanting to fly it rather than any other drones you have. I still fly all my Minis pretty regularly, but not nearly as much as I did before I got the FPV!

Enjoy your new Beast, and please keep us posted on your progress with it!

:cool:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS