DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance in Australia

Hobbo

Reactions
Does anyone known of an insurer in Aust which offers cover for drones (similar perhaps to State Farm which a lot of owners seem to use in USA)? Thanks

I am not sure about Drone insurance as such, however some of the home and content insurance policies provide insurance for accidents damage etc. If you have home and content insurance, give them a bell and ask ... normally all of those policies have excess fees so may not be worth considering for a sub $1000 drone.. just found this on the net.. have a look, talks about phones and tablets leaving in the train.. so drone might be covered..

https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/home-contents-insurance/types/accidental-damage/

Every insurance company I ring about getting my drone insured, treat me like i'm asking to get insurance for a Sherman tank.
I've spoken to 3 people from my insurer {real} about adding my drone to my portable contents home insurance and get 3 different answers, they will readily insure a car that has a high chance of getting into a accident, but for a mavic drone which is unlikely to cause damage, the answer is no, wont insure drones.
I found 1 insurer that will only cover it for accidental damage and theft, only if I'm not using it at the time.
anyone know of a better deal in Australia that wont cost a fortune?
I know I could search for a answer, but I'm very lazy.
thanks in advance.

Every insurance company I ring about getting my drone insured, treat me like i'm asking to get insurance for a Sherman tank.
I've spoken to 3 people from my insurer {real} about adding my drone to my portable contents home insurance and get 3 different answers, they will readily insure a car that has a high chance of getting into a accident, but for a mavic drone which is unlikely to cause damage, the answer is no, wont insure drones.
I found 1 insurer that will only cover it for accidental damage and theft, only if I'm not using it at the time.
anyone know of a better deal in Australia that wont cost a fortune?
I know I could search for a answer, but I'm very lazy.
thanks in advance.

Lol, at least you are honest.. let me see if I can find anything.. wonder what the outcome of investigations from OP

There is a Broker in Cairns, Bill someone, but its not cheap for P/L etc...
Get a RePL and prices start to come down..

its very frustrating, the only dedicated drone insurers i can find , are for commercial only.
these new drones would be a safe bet to insure, they rarely crash compared to cars, so whys it so dam hard to get them insured.

Its just the nature of the beast...
To drive a car, you need a licence, I think now the kids need 100 hours of experiance??
Grab a mavic, from Hardly Normal, dont even charge it, just go fly over the Sydney Harbour bridge, and crash into a car on the bridge...
Carnage avoided, but barely..... (fact)
Hereby lies the reason why...

but in reality that doesn't happen, its more a what if this happens or what if that happens.
the general public are scared of drones and think, if u have a drone u are up to no good.

but in reality that doesn't happen, its more a what if this happens or what if that happens.
the general public are scared of drones and think, if u have a drone u are up to no good.
I agree... most people are responsible drone users. They do the right thing even no one is looking...
Yes people need a divers license to drive a car, however most accidents are a result of illegal activity be speeding or drink driving... I get both arguments, however we need to be pragmatic about things... hopefully some sort of regulation requiring registering drones will come up so they can track if something happen ? That would eliminate the phobia (hopefully)..

I'm a bit worried about the new year, have been seeing tons of adds for drones, me think there will b a lot more in the skys after Xmas, all it will take is a kid to get hit, and **** will hit the fan.

You are not wrong ... hopefully people who purchase them are responsible.. dr can only hope !

I was almost right!!

CASA has recently established a new Technical Working Group which has been tasked with developing policy for the imminent (in CASA timeframes) implementation of a drone registration and accreditation system.
The key terms and dates are laid out below.
KEY PRINCIPLES
The key principles that will be applied for the reform are the following:
• CASA intends to implement a mandatory drone registration system for all drones weighing more than 250 grams and used in Australia – registration may be completed by an organisation or a person;
• CASA intends to implement an accreditation system for all drone users operating recreationally or under the excluded RPA category – accreditation may only be completed by a person;
• Drone measures will be subject to cost recovery.
• Project launch and initial submissions: October 2018
• TWG meeting: November 2018
• Public consultation on detailed policy: December 2018 – February 2019
• Policy finalisation: March 2019
• Legislation drafting: April 2019
• Regulatory package to Department: May 2019

I was almost right!!

CASA has recently established a new Technical Working Group which has been tasked with developing policy for the imminent (in CASA timeframes) implementation of a drone registration and accreditation system.
The key terms and dates are laid out below.
KEY PRINCIPLES
The key principles that will be applied for the reform are the following:
• CASA intends to implement a mandatory drone registration system for all drones weighing more than 250 grams and used in Australia – registration may be completed by an organisation or a person;
• CASA intends to implement an accreditation system for all drone users operating recreationally or under the excluded RPA category – accreditation may only be completed by a person;
• Drone measures will be subject to cost recovery.
• Project launch and initial submissions: October 2018
• TWG meeting: November 2018
• Public consultation on detailed policy: December 2018 – February 2019
• Policy finalisation: March 2019
• Legislation drafting: April 2019
• Regulatory package to Department: May 2019
i hope they don't ban us from flying around beaches or any part of the coast line.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost