DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance? Needed it not?

Tamustian

Reactions
Hey guys,

Recently purchased a Mavic Air for recreational use. Curious about everyone’s thoughts on insurance? What type (if any) coverage do you have? Is it really necessary?

There are two types of coverage where are completely different.... 1st party coverage to address damage to the drone itself and 3rd party coverage (liability) coverage that protects you from damage you cause to others with the drone. Which one are you speaking about?

There are two types of coverage where are completely different.... 1st party coverage to address damage to the drone itself and 3rd party coverage (liability) coverage that protects you from damage you cause to others with the drone. Which one are you speaking about?
Both really

I'd say Liability is essential, unless you're very rich or ... very poor and wouldn't mind going bankrupt after a big damage claim.

I'd say Liability is essential, unless you're very rich or ... very poor and wouldn't mind going bankrupt after a big damage claim.
Do you have liability insurance? If so, what is the coverage, the premium, and carrier?

I know that pros carry it. I know one individual has $1M coverage at a cost of $70/month, but I don't know the carrier.

There are apps that will give you 'instant' coverage for $10/hour of flight, which is sufficient.

My concern is around the carrier finding some violation of the flight that voids the coverage.

On this forum, I asked if anyone has ever had a liability claim. It's been a couple of weeks, but I don't recall anyone responding.

There are 3 types of insurance that you can get for your drone (not including DJI Refresh)
1. Personal Liability: covers damage, injuries, etc. to property, people etc. while you're flying for hobby purposes. I am a member of the AMA and $75/yr gets you $2.5 million liability coverage.
www.modelaircraft.org

2. Commercial Liability: same as above but for flying drones for commercial purposes. There are several pay as you go apps (Verifly, Skywatch, etc.) that you pay in chunks of time, location, etc. You can also get a policy that covers you all the time but that can get pretty expensive.

These two USUALLY do not cover your actual drone

3. Personal property: covers your drone in case of damage, loss, theft, etc. I have State Farm and for something like $60/yr, I am covered for full replacement cost of any of my drones. I crashed my Typhoon H in the summer and filed a claim and I was paid without any problems.

Are there any Australians reading this thread? If so...what's available in Oz please.

There are 3 types of insurance that you can get for your drone (not including DJI Refresh)
1. Personal Liability: covers damage, injuries, etc. to property, people etc. while you're flying for hobby purposes. I am a member of the AMA and $75/yr gets you $2.5 million liability coverage.
www.modelaircraft.org

2. Commercial Liability: same as above but for flying drones for commercial purposes. There are several pay as you go apps (Verifly, Skywatch, etc.) that you pay in chunks of time, location, etc. You can also get a policy that covers you all the time but that can get pretty expensive.

3. Personal property: covers your drone in case of damage, loss, theft, etc. I have State Farm and for something like $60/yr, I am covered for full replacement cost of any of my drones. I crashed my Typhoon H in the summer and filed a claim and I was paid without any problems.

I live in Maryland and just bought personal property coverage from State Farm. $60 is the minimum annual payment for coverage although the drone (fly more package) costs less. What I was advised is that I could add other pieces of equipment under the policy up the $60 coverage amount - e.g. my DSLR bodies and lenses.

According to my State Farm agent, my home owners policy will cover liability when flying for fun. For commercial flights, I use Verifly. With Verifly, you buy it by the hour.
As for loss and damage insurance on the drone itself, I have State Farm PAP.

www.modelaircraft.org

I’ve spoken with two State Farm agencies here in the L.A. CA area and neither of them have heard of this $60/yr Personal Property policy. Could this policy not be valid in the state of California?

I’ve spoken with two State Farm agencies here in the L.A. CA area and neither of them have heard of this $60/yr Personal Property policy. Could this policy not be valid in the state of California?
Nope I couldn't get that plan from my State Farm agent in California. It was the first thing I checked into when I got my MP a year ago. That's a good deal at 60 bucks so I hope somebody will make a change.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851