DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seaplanepilot

Reactions
Hello Everyone!
I have been flying drones for about 3 years purely as a hobbyist and now invested in a small machine good for traveling. Question: Has anyone compiled a 'Directory for foreign countries Rules & Regulations' on drone flights from either local populace or visitors? A great project maybe if not already available? ( I flew floats for over 20 yrs and there is a Directory for that hence the question here!)
Thanks for any input!

I have been trying to understand Airspace regulations and use the KittyHawk and Airspace apps to see if I am or am not allowed to fly in a certain area (in the USA). I came across this thread and the link to UAVCoach from Thomas B above ( Master List of Drone Laws (Organized by State / Country) l UAV Coach), and after following some more links, I got excited when I read that there are places in San Antonio (where I live) that could be fun and legal to fly as a Rec User.
The 5 Best Places to Fly a Drone in San Antonio | UAV Coach

Cool. Let me compare the sites they reference in that article with what I see in AirMap and KittyHawk, since this is what I have been relying on to find out where I can / cannot fly with ought authorization. It seems that a lot of places I look at are outside of the bounds of the LAANC gridlines and I cannot seek authorization, but then this article seems to say I do not need to get prior authorization. Please bear with me as I go through the steps I took and where I get confused:

Let's take the 1st example:
Travis Park at 301 E Travis St, San Antonio, TX 78205.
GPS: 29.427803, -98.489710

The UAVCoach Article above says it is GLASS G - UNCONTROLLED airspace and so I do not need prior authorization to fly here. And when I look at this site on AirMap (see screenshot below), it seems to show it is in a clear, white area of the map, near (but outside of) a small yellow warning area, but also outside the gridlines normally associated with LAANC authorization request zones. So this seems to me to say I can go ahead and fly here without prior authorization like the article says:

Airmap Screenshot:
AirMap - Travis Park.jpg

Now let's look at this same area with KittyHawk. See this screenshot:

KIttyHawk Screenshot:
KittyHawk - Travis Park.jpg
Now this exact same location is in a much larger Yellow circular area, but still outside the region of the LAANC gridlines, so it seems to suggest a restricted airspace, but I cannot obtain LAANC approval since it is outside of the UAS LAANC Gridlines. So can I fly here or not without authorization? I think KittyHawk says no, but AirMap says yes, and the article for UAVCoach says yes.

I am so confused! Can someone confirm if I am interpreting this all correctly and where I must be misunderstanding what I am looking at? Is there really a difference in what AirMap and KittyHawk are saying, or am I misinterpreting what these sites are telling me?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom