DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

International Travel with a drone from India - Need help

Devansh88

Reactions
So here's a pickle.

New Drone laws have passed in March 2021, that ban the use, sale, purchase or import of drones not certified by DGCA's DigitalSky Platform. While nano-drones are exempt from license and UIN, they still need to be registered. Now I own Mavic Mini, which is legal to be carried and used under 50 feet altitude in India.

However, there is no provision for those who already own these drones from before to carry them outside India and get them back without the risk of getting confiscated, esp for those in nano category.

As of today, I have not been able to enroll my drone on the digital sky platform to get my Ownership Acknowledgement Number (OAN) or Drone Acknowledgement Number (DAN) as the stupid platform is not generating OTPs.
Not to mention there is still no guarantee that it would stop customs from declaring my drone as prohibited.

Anyone travelled internationally with a drone and has any experiences to share with the community? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Has anyone enlisted their drones recently (March 2021 or later) and got their OAN and DAN, or faced issues with the OTP?

Just want to figure out if this is a temporary issue, or the platform has gone kaput.

So here's a pickle.

New Drone laws have passed in March 2021, that ban the use, sale, purchase or import of drones not certified by DGCA's DigitalSky Platform. While nano-drones are exempt from license and UIN, they still need to be registered. Now I own Mavic Mini, which is legal to be carried and used under 50 feet altitude in India.

However, there is no provision for those who already own these drones from before to carry them outside India and get them back without the risk of getting confiscated, esp for those in nano category.

As of today, I have not been able to enroll my drone on the digital sky platform to get my Ownership Acknowledgement Number (OAN) or Drone Acknowledgement Number (DAN) as the stupid platform is not generating OTPs.
Not to mention there is still no guarantee that it would stop customs from declaring my drone as prohibited.

Anyone travelled internationally with a drone and has any experiences to share with the community? Thanks in advance!
I've taken my Mavic Pro on several trips abroad to Indonesia, South Africa and Zimbabwe with no problems. The only issue I have is that the so-called governmental "experts" in different countries have different views on what are drone safety measures, such as safe heights to fly at to avoid manned aircraft etc. In UK it's 120metres, Indonesia 150 metres, South Africa 45 metres, but India I understand is 15 metres! Are they kidding? Not worth flying there IMO, so I won't be paying a visit there any time soon, despite the fact both my elder brother and sister were born there and I would've enjoyed the chance to visit their places of birth! The sooner they agree on an international standard the better, but I won't hold my breath as the authorities have more important issues on their plate.

I've taken my Mavic Pro on several trips abroad to Indonesia, South Africa and Zimbabwe with no problems. The only issue I have is that the so-called governmental "experts" in different countries have different views on what are drone safety measures, such as safe heights to fly at to avoid manned aircraft etc. In UK it's 120metres, Indonesia 150 metres, South Africa 45 metres, but India I understand is 15 metres! Are they kidding? Not worth flying there IMO, so I won't be paying a visit there any time soon, despite the fact both my elder brother and sister were born there and I would've enjoyed the chance to visit their places of birth! The sooner they agree on an international standard the better, but I won't hold my breath as the authorities have more important issues on their plate.
To be fair, that is the limit for unregistered drones flown by unlicensed pilots. A licensed pilot can fly it to the maximum allowable limit as per the zone.

However, it is a pain to live under that limit for us amateur pilots flying for fun. Doesn't make sense to pay the license fee annually for non-commercial purposes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa