DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Interpreting OpenSky For South East Brisbane?

eva2000

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Still deciding which DJI drone to buy Mini SE or Mini 2 for use for inspecting my roof before/after repair/fixes to prep for solar installation. But I checked OpenSky for my area and from screenshot below, I'd be limited to venturing outside of my area right? I should be fine for roof inspections etc?

opensky-01.png

Hi George.
If you’re in that orange zone where the pin is, no problems to fly.
It’s marked a danger area being on the fringe of the red no fly zone (Archerfield controlled airport), but otherwise no other warnings.
In the red zone your drone possibly won’t even start up (geo fencing).
The DJI airsafe map zones MIGHT give you some grief, you might have to unlock to fly.
See this thread . . .

I guess you will have to try a flight before knowing if you do need to go through the unlock process to fly.

Just checked the flysafe map, it appears ok where your pin is.
Just.

Reactions: 4006448 and eva2000
Hi George.
If you’re in that orange zone where the pin is, no problems to fly.
It’s marked a danger area being on the fringe of the red no fly zone (Archerfield controlled airport), but otherwise no other warnings.
In the red zone your drone possibly won’t even start up (geo fencing).
The DJI airsafe map zones MIGHT give you some grief, you might have to unlock to fly.
Cheers thanks for that info the DJI Fly Safe Geo Zone Maps are useful!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
hmm looks like even visiting my sister in Sydney would be problematic according to OpenSky LOL

opensky-sydney-01.png

hmm looks like even visiting my sister in Sydney would be problematic according to OpenSky LOL

View attachment 150153

Sydney is pretty heavily restricted for sure.Buuuut . . . you as getting the mini (2 most likely), so . . .

You might have clicked the link to the thread above I posted (unlocking), post #6 asks about the mini having less restrictions, and it does . . .

NFZ encounters / Unlocking DJI restrictions

If you set up and try the unlock in blue zones, you'll probably have more places around Sydney metro you can fly.

Reactions: eva2000
Sydney is pretty heavily restricted for sure.Buuuut . . . you as getting the mini (2 most likely), so . . .

You might have clicked the link to the thread above I posted (unlocking), post #6 asks about the mini having less restrictions, and it does . . .

NFZ encounters / Unlocking DJI restrictions

If you set up and try the unlock in blue zones, you'll probably have more places around Sydney metro you can fly.
Cheers re-read that post #6 :)

Lots to learn!

On DJI Geo Zone Fly safe site in Sydney that area is marked by Authorization zone and Altitude and Restricted zones

Restricted Zones. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI App, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented. If you believe you have the authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact [email protected] or Online Unlocking.

Altitude Zones: Altitude zones will appear in gray on the map. Users receive warnings in DJI App, or DJI App and flight altitude is limited.

Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear blue in the DJI App, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.

Cheers re-read that post #6 :)

Lots to learn!

On DJI Geo Zone Fly safe site in Sydney that area is marked by Authorization zone and Altitude and Restricted zones

Yes I’ve noticed where one can fly close to airport boundaries, thee I’d often an altitude restricts below the usual 120m.
Rarely do I fly metro though, prefer heading away from people and busy locations.

Reactions: eva2000
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143