DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Invalid Serial Number When Registering Drone with FAA

Cybernaut

Reactions
I went to the FAA site today to renew my Recreational Flyer license. The new rules for Remote ID require that each drone be registered and you have to register at least one "Device" before you can complete the renewal.

I tried to register my DJI Mavic Pro, but I cannot complete the registration because it keeps telling me "Invalid Serial Number." It is being entered correctly.

I have found other forums where users are running into the same problem, but thus far no one has a solution. Has anyone here run into this? Is there a simple solution.

I did notice that the Mavic Pro lists the model as M1P on the battery compartment label. I tried entering it both ways, but it still does not work. I am assuming that the make and Model of the drone qualifies the format for the serial number.

Last edited:
Are you checking yes for the question “Is your UAS or device equipped with remote identification capabilities?”?

That will cause the serial number to be rejected, because currently no UAVs are certified under that program.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I am checking that. From everything I've read, the Mavic Pro meets the requirements for Remote ID.

Leave it up to the FAA bureaucrats to include a legitimate question that disqualifies the registration. My recreational license does not actually expire for a while, so I will wait. I mistakenly made the assumption that the government has their act together.

Has there been an announcement about when the certified UAVs will be added to the site.?

Yes, I am checking that. From everything I've read, the Mavic Pro meets the requirements for Remote ID.

Leave it up to the FAA bureaucrats to include a legitimate question that disqualifies the registration. My recreational license does not actually expire for a while, (There is no such license, kind sir, at least at this point...thank goodness) So I will wait. I mistakenly made the assumption that the government has their act together. That is one of the best jokes I have ever heard, see below.
Has there been an announcement about when the certified UAVs will be added to the site.? First they (FAA) would have to identify and decide what a Certification would be and include such information to the general public let alone companies that actually manufacture, they haven't even come close to that info, and it looks to be several years until they can even get that far.
Your questions in red, responses in Blue :) I can find no "real" website that allows registration for remote ID at present, make sure you aren't going off FAA website and giving out data to a third party. I am a bit eyesight impaired at the moment, so if anyone can point to the web sight I would be appreciative. As the system isn't actually working, I myself can see no reason to sign up for anything at present..YMMV.

Last edited:

Leave it up to the FAA bureaucrats to include a legitimate question that disqualifies the registration. My recreational license does not actually expire for a while, so I will wait. I mistakenly made the assumption that the government has their act together.

Has there been an announcement about when the certified UAVs will be added to the site.?
The question is ambiguous, but so far no manufacturers have certificates of acceptance for remote ID, even though DJI has stated that most models will be able to be made compliant with a simple firmware update. So, as I said, you need to uncheck that box.

No aircraft "currently" meets RID because the standards are not even finalized yet.

Uncheck that box as @sar104 suggested and be sure to report on those other forums they are WRONG!!

I went to the FAA site today to renew my Recreational Flyer license. The new rules for Remote ID require that each drone be registered and you have to register at least one "Device" before you can complete the renewal.

I tried to register my DJI Mavic Pro, but I cannot complete the registration because it keeps telling me "Invalid Serial Number." It is being entered correctly.

I have found other forums where users are running into the same problem, but thus far no one has a solution. Has anyone here run into this? Is there a simple solution.

I did notice that the Mavic Pro lists the model as M1P on the battery compartment label. I tried entering it both ways, but it still does not work. I am assuming that the make and Model of the drone qualifies the format for the serial number.
If there is a zero (0) in the serial # make sure you are not typing (O).

Thanks for sharing!

If you are on the Official FAA site nothing could be easier. I admit that check box could be confusing but remember the the FAA deals with ALL models of aircraft. From the behemoth down to 250 grams. You're expected to know the specifics of the one you are flying.

This might help. Below is an email from FAA UAS Support Center:

Go back to the question regarding remote ID and answer "No."
Think of it this way...you have bought a car with a satellite radio, but you do not yet have your Sirius/XM connection.
Your DJI product has an inherent remote ID capability, but the FAA has not issued anyone a Declaration of Compliance. Once the FAA does so, DJI will push a firmware update to its customers to activate the capability.
As of today, no drones are remote ID compliant.
The manufacturer's compliance date is 16 Sep 2022; the operator's compliance date is 16 Sep 2023.
Steve

FAA UAS Support Center
844 FLY MY UA | 844-359-6982
Send us your questions!
Stay current on all things drone
Twitter | Facebook

Thanks for all the responses. That clarifies the issues.

To answer the questions:

Yes, I'm sure the serial number is correct.

Yes, I was at the FAA site, not a 3rd party. FAADroneZone I'm aware of the scams.

Here is what it says on the Recreational Flyer Dashboard

FAA Notice
On January 15, 2021, the FAA published a new rule for the Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft. The rule contains changes to the UAS registration requirements, including the requirement to provide a phone number, the UAS manufacturer and model, and a remote ID serial number for standard remote ID UAS and remote ID broadcast modules.

And on the Add Device page.

Recreational flyers must add manufacturer and model information for all UAS over 0.55 pounds that they own and operate. For standard remote identification UAS or broadcast modules, you’ll also be required to provide the serial number. Each broadcast module serial number may only be entered once to your inventory, even if shared with more than one recreational UAS.
To continue the registration process, you must have at least one active device in your inventory.

The way it is currently set up, if you answer Yes to the question "IS YOUR UAS OR DEVICE EQUIPPED WITH REMOTE IDENTIFICATION (REMOTE ID) CAPABILITIES?*" and you enter a serial number, you get the Invalid Serial Number error message. The renewal cannot be completed unless you can register at least one drone or remote ID module, which they are calling a Device on the FAA site.

It doesn't say anything anywhere that indicates you will will get an Invalid Serial Number error if you follow the instructions. :)

If the FAA comes up with some type of screwy requirements, I hope DJI will be able to fix the issue with a software update.

What surprises me is that none of the other drone sites I found when I searched for this issue had the answers that you guys have. I'll try it again when I get closer to the actual renewal date and report back here with results.

Thanks for all the responses. That clarifies the issues.

To answer the questions:

Yes, I'm sure the serial number is correct.

Yes, I was at the FAA site, not a 3rd party. FAADroneZone I'm aware of the scams.

Here is what it says on the Recreational Flyer Dashboard

FAA Notice
On January 15, 2021, the FAA published a new rule for the Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft. The rule contains changes to the UAS registration requirements, including the requirement to provide a phone number, the UAS manufacturer and model, and a remote ID serial number for standard remote ID UAS and remote ID broadcast modules.

And on the Add Device page.

Recreational flyers must add manufacturer and model information for all UAS over 0.55 pounds that they own and operate. For standard remote identification UAS or broadcast modules, you’ll also be required to provide the serial number. Each broadcast module serial number may only be entered once to your inventory, even if shared with more than one recreational UAS.
To continue the registration process, you must have at least one active device in your inventory.

The way it is currently set up, if you answer Yes to the question "IS YOUR UAS OR DEVICE EQUIPPED WITH REMOTE IDENTIFICATION (REMOTE ID) CAPABILITIES?*" and you enter a serial number, you get the Invalid Serial Number error message. The renewal cannot be completed unless you can register at least one drone or remote ID module, which they are calling a Device on the FAA site.

It doesn't say anything anywhere that indicates you will will get an Invalid Serial Number error if you follow the instructions. :)
But you didn't, technically, follow the instructions, because your aircraft is not equipped with remote identification capabilities. That will require a firmware update at least, and then for it to be listed on an FAA-accepted declaration of compliance. It has neither of those.
If the FAA comes up with some type of screwy requirements, I hope DJI will be able to fix the issue with a software update.

What surprises me is that none of the other drone sites I found when I searched for this issue had the answers that you guys have. I'll try it again when I get closer to the actual renewal date and report back here with results.
No need to report back, since there is no mystery here and the issue is well known. Provided that you don't check that box it will work just fine. I have no idea what kind of forums that you were searching where they didn't know about this.

I based my assumption that the Mavic Pro was compatible on a DJI.com article that said all their drones manufactured since 2017 included Remote ID. I can't find it now, so they may have taken it down while waiting for the final rules.

Then there is this:

I now know that all of this is premature.

Here is the current word from DJI for those who have not seen it.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll