DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Invasion of Privacy on a photo shoot

dougiefresh27

Reactions
Conditions were perfect, calm, sun had been up for a few hours basking the front of the house in a warm glow.
I was taking real estate photos for my portfolio. I show up, dressed professionally, clearly not hiding myself or intentions.
I get several key shots and the neighbor from across the street comes out and very sharply says, "What are you doing there sir?"
Once I established that my craft was in a safe place to hover I turned around and calmly said, "I'm a commercial pilot taking photos of the house for XXX (I named the owners)"
She replied, still sharp but slightly subdued, "Well, I didn't want you invading anyones privacy".
I thanked her for asking and continued on my process.

I chose not to educate her on my legality to do what I'm doing, controlled air space and that she did not control the air above her own home and that I'm taking photos of a house, not in the bathroom window.

I thought I handled that well and will try and be prepared for more encounters.
What do you think?
What experiences have you had and how did they go?DJI_0050.JPG

Actually since your job likely required you to hover around one house, the neighbor's reaction is understandable.
I certainly would have appreciated a neighbor looking out for my house and questioning anyone appearing to be casing it. I was questioned by a passer by early one morning while I was observing a lunar eclipse. I could see from their point of view that I might be a prowler.

She was probably just looking out for her neighbour (and the neighbourhood as a whole). Your polite reply was all that was needed to put her concerns to rest. By the way, nice picture of the house. It's amazing how a little bit of elevation makes the shot look so much more interesting!

She was probably just looking out for her neighbour (and the neighbourhood as a whole). Your polite reply was all that was needed to put her concerns to rest. By the way, nice picture of the house. It's amazing how a little bit of elevation makes the shot look so much more interesting!
Thanks! I figured I did my job at being Not confrontational and polite. I think she was being a good neighbor too. Just a little rough around the edges

Reactions: SpitFire and E90RAW
There's no educating the uninformed when they've already decided drones are only used for spying, especially when flying a drone! Your response was perfect!
Yup, that's why I didn't try. Perhaps if I'm over there again another day and she is inquisitive I can share some of my knowledge. It's a learning curve for all of us at all times especially during these times.

Conditions were perfect, calm, sun had been up for a few hours basking the front of the house in a warm glow.
I was taking real estate photos for my portfolio. I show up, dressed professionally, clearly not hiding myself or intentions.
I get several key shots and the neighbor from across the street comes out and very sharply says, "What are you doing there sir?"
Once I established that my craft was in a safe place to hover I turned around and calmly said, "I'm a commercial pilot taking photos of the house for XXX (I named the owners)"
She replied, still sharp but slightly subdued, "Well, I didn't want you invading anyones privacy".

I chose not to educate her on my legality to do what I'm doing, controlled air space and that she did not control the air above her own home and that I'm taking photos of a house, not in the bathroom window.

What do you think?
What experiences have you had and how did they go?View attachment 101116
Received my first complaint:

gents, this is XXXXX's husband. we’re sitting on the back patio, trying to enjoy the lovely evening. it’s a little difficult with a neighbor’s drone buzzing the golf course. of course, there still are players on the course, too.
this certainly isn’t the first time this has happened. i’m not sure if there are HOA restrictions on drones, but there should be some restrictions on annoying your neighbors.
i don’t know the man’s name, but i do know he lives at XXXXXX.
is this behavior tolerated? i realize drones are fun, but there are times and places to enjoy them.

I am on the HOA Board. Not sure how to respond or even if I should. I make sure I never fly over houses and stay over the golf area. 100 feet up is the limit due to nearby airport. Sadly I am now "a man". I feel much younger than that.

gents, this is XXXXX's husband. we’re sitting on the back patio, trying to enjoy the lovely evening. it’s a little difficult with a neighbor’s drone buzzing the golf course. of course, there still are players on the course, too.
this certainly isn’t the first time this has happened. i’m not sure if there are HOA restrictions on drones, but there should be some restrictions on annoying your neighbors.
is this behavior tolerated? i realize drones are fun, but there are times and places to enjoy them.

I am on the HOA Board. Not sure how to respond or even if I should. I make sure I never fly over houses and stay over the golf area. 100 feet up is the limit due to nearby airport. Sadly I am now "a man". I feel much younger than that.
In my case I was shooting commercially, short and sweet and over no one elses property.
In your case it sounds like some limits might need to be set.
Especially if that person isn't following the drone rules/laws.
I know I would be annoyed if there were FPV fliers around my house.
Keep educating when you can!

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
I was flying near our commercial port last week, which is a restricted air zone, and had a nice but stern port cop also wonder what I was up to. She was patient enough to let me explain that I couldn't even fly into the port area if I wanted to and then showed her I was doing a hyperlapse in the opposite direction, which is an ocean marine preserve. She then wondered about the price of drones and by the end of it I think she was sold on a new Mavic Air 2. I gave her my details & website as my card was in the car and all went well. A little courtesy and even some education on what my drone could and could not actually do went a long way in letting a pleasant flying experience remain a pleasant flying experience. At the end, I was even able to show her the hyperlapse. I think you handled it well and hopefully put the neighbor at ease. A few proper answers is much better than a combative response. This all took place on a beach and I think she stayed around just to be outside. We were both happy to be out of quarantine for a while.HYPERLAPSE_0359.jpg

Last edited:

"due to a nearby airport" ??? Wouldn't that class the surrounding area as a NFZ?

Assume you're the required distance away from people and houses, the noise can't be that loud surely?

What do you think?
What experiences have you had and how did they go?

Several commercial flyers I know who do real estate videos and roof inspections have a printed flyer that explains it all and giving their details/registrations etc This normally solves all the problems and often gets them extra work.
Also some of them put the leaflets through the doors of the adjacent properties with a printed note to say. Please be aware that we are working at number 10 tomorrow/today between 13:00 and 14:00 etc. That says :"We are officail, professional, qualified, registered and working for your neighbour." apparently it stops 99% of problems before they start. And often gets them more work.

However there will always be one who knows you are spying for the NSA/China/CIA/Moscow/Freemasons/Illuminati etc

What do you think?
Great shot.
I think you handled that very well and I think she was probably just being curious.

I was flying near our commercial port last week, which is a restricted air zone, and had a nice but stern port cop also wonder what I was up to. She was patient enough to let me explain that I couldn't even fly into the port area if I wanted to and then showed her I was doing a hyperlapse in the opposite direction, which is an ocean marine preserve. She then wondered about the price of drones and by the end of it I think she was sold on a new Mavic Air 2. I gave her my details & website as my card was in the car and all went well. A little courtesy and even some education on what my drone could and could not actually do went a long way in letting a pleasant flying experience remain a pleasant flying experience. At the end, I was even able to show her the hyperlapse. I think you handled it well and hopefully put the neighbor at ease. A few proper answers is much better than a combative response. This all took place on a beach and I think she stayed around just to be outside. We were both happy to be out of quarantine for a while.View attachment 101190
Fantastic picture

What do you think?
I had a similar experience. The neighbor across the street approached me and ask what I was doing. I told her I was taking photos of the house which is going up for sale. She was satisfied with my explanation and went back inside.

What do you think?
In North Carolina I do believe a home owner has rights if you are flying over their home, even if they don't 'own' the airspace. The Department of Transportation has a mandatory exam for NC commercial remote pilots and this is one of the major issues covered. It is my understanding that you must have their permission to photograph/video their home. Here, you were taking images for a client of their home....so that's cool. I would guess the laws might vary from state to state about the privacy issues...I only know this little bit because I just took the FAA 107 and then had to take the NC DOT exam and apply for a permit to fly commercially.

"due to a nearby airport" ??? Wouldn't that class the surrounding area as a NFZ?

Assume you're the required distance away from people and houses, the noise can't be that loud surely?
I am in a LAANC zone and can get automated OK for 100 feet up. I make sure I dont fly over anyone's house and the golf course is pretty big. As quiet as the drones are reported, I think they are pretty loud still. At 100 feet you can hear them pretty well. My wife thinks they sound like a bee hive coming at you. Wait until UPS/Amazon/FED EX start using drones, I wonder how people will react.

I am in a LAANC zone and can get automated OK for 100 feet up. I make sure I dont fly over anyone's house and the golf course is pretty big. As quiet as the drones are reported, I think they are pretty loud still. At 100 feet you can hear them pretty well. My wife thinks they sound like a bee hive coming at you. Wait until UPS/Amazon/FED EX start using drones, I wonder how people will react.

I wouldn't mind if deliveries started coming by drone. People would become accustom to the sound and not get all wound up when the hear a drone!

I wouldn't mind if deliveries started coming by drone. People would become accustom to the sound and not get all wound up when the hear a drone!

When commercial deliveries start and they put Drone Delivery Lanes in to residential areas they will become NO FLY ZONES for everyone other than registered delivery drones from the big companies. So you won't be able to fly in residential areas at all!!!! It will be like trying to fly in an airport runway approach zone.

I was on a local golf course at the weekend and lost VLOS when I looked at something else- couldn't see or hear the drone and it was only maybe 80m up and less than 400m away.

Thought I'd be clever and find myself without needing to look at the GPS- spun the gimbal down and had a whole screen of bunkers and greens and absolutely no idea which one I was stood next to !!! Suffice to say I didn't feel smart then but took advantage of the opportunity and started loosely flying a S&R grid until I heard that familiar buzzing!

When commercial deliveries start and they put Drone Delivery Lanes in to residential areas they will become NO FLY ZONES for everyone other than registered delivery drones from the big companies. So you won't be able to fly in residential areas at all!!!! It will be like trying to fly in an airport runway approach zone.

If/when they start that, I can't imagine there will be much airspace left for us :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada