DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inverting the y axis

Ruuk Haviser

Reactions
Hi all.

I've played MS flight sims waaaaaaaaaay back when and I just can't get it out of my head. Push stick forward, the plane noses downward, back and you pull up. I've had to invert the y for all my FPS games even World of Tanks (a game in which I also need to invert the x axis as well when reversing the tank, but that's another story.)

I know how to get into custom stick mode and adjust things: I want the left stick for the usual forward and reverse, and "strafe" left and right (for lack of a better term right now). No problems there. But I want the right stick to KEEP the left yaw and right yaw as is and merely invert the y. I've moved the settings from one side to the other, but when I invert the y axis it inverts the x axis on the other side! For the life of me...

I know people will think I'm crazy but if I push both sticks up the aircraft should go forward and down. I can't help it. Thoughts?

I know what you mean as I flew flight sims since the first one came out for computers. I owned an airplane and flew others. I flew remote control planes since college. Now when I get in a tight spot I pull back, and...

You know what happens. It has taken a little bit to get over it. The only reason given to keep it factory setting of 2 is if you ever fly someone else's you will not have to re-set it up. I don't like it at all but that's what we have. I tried to change my settings but still could not figure out what you want to do either.

there is not any way to change the left stick response other than dismantling the RC and swapping the wires over on the left stick gimbal it is not a good idea really ,
the reason the stick response on a drone is different is because of the way it flies and what it does in response to the stick controls
the up movement of the left stick just speeds all the 4 motors up at the same time to overcome the weight of the drone and cause it to rise into the air ,and conversely to reduce the lift the down movement reduces the speed of all 4 motors so the drone descends

Reactions: Gagey52
there is not any way to change the left stick response other than dismantling the RC and swapping the wires over on the left stick gimbal it is not a good idea really ,
the reason the stick response on a drone is different is because of the way it flies and what it does in response to the stick controls
the up movement of the left stick just speeds all the 4 motors up at the same time to overcome the weight of the drone and cause it to rise into the air ,and conversely to reduce the lift the down movement reduces the speed of all 4 motors so the drone descends
Well, that makes sense. thx

Reactions: old man mavic
My Dad flew both fixed wings and helicopters, and I‘ve spent many hours in both types of aircraft. I always put my mind in helicopter mode when I’m flying my drone. Pull up on the collective in a helicopter, and it increases the lift of the rotor disc. And since the collective on a helicopter is the left hand control of the pilot, it equates pretty well to a drone. The right hand control on both a helicopter (the cyclic) and a drone control pitch and roll. The only difference, of course, is yaw (pedals on a helicopter, left stick on a drone), but for me that’s a pretty easy difference to grasp.

Last edited:
Don't fight it. It all becomes natural in quick order. Not saying you'll never zig when you'd rather zag but soon enough, you'll learn to make small enough corrections that you'll be able to see and correct.

Reactions: Wade L.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair