DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad 12.9" 2021 Gen 5

Komatsu

Reactions
Happy New Year everyone, I've searched the forum and also utube and can't find the answer i am looking, apologies if this post is in the wrong place its my 1st post and not quite sure where stuff should go, does anyone use or have experience of the latest 12.9" iPad Generation 5 as a screen for flying there drone, or use it outside in general for perhaps reading, work or as tv screen etc, i am wanting to buy an iPad to use as my screen for flying as opposed to my iPhone 12 Pro Max, the latest 12.9" screen iPad boasts 1000 nits brightness and was hoping to get some real world feedback from people who have used one, and can they verify the screen stays bright in bright sunlight, days ago i was almost at point of buying the Tripltek 8" Pro purely for its screen brightness, but i'd much prefer an IO's device that will sync with all my other devices, thanks in advance for any replies.

Happy New Year everyone, I've searched the forum and also utube and can't find the answer i am looking, apologies if this post is in the wrong place its my 1st post and not quite sure where stuff should go, does anyone use or have experience of the latest 12.9" iPad Generation 5 as a screen for flying there drone, or use it outside in general for perhaps reading, work or as tv screen etc, i am wanting to buy an iPad to use as my screen for flying as opposed to my iPhone 12 Pro Max, the latest 12.9" screen iPad boasts 1000 nits brightness and was hoping to get some real world feedback from people who have used one, and can they verify the screen stays bright in bright sunlight, days ago i was almost at point of buying the Tripltek 8" Pro purely for its screen brightness, but i'd much prefer an IO's device that will sync with all my other devices, thanks in advance for any replies.
I use the original iPad Pro 12.9” model and it’s fabulous

Reactions: Komatsu
It is not 1000 nits sustained for drone apps or other apps, it is about 600 nits.

I use the original iPad Pro 12.9” model and it’s fabulous
I also need use the SC and slave my original iPad Pro that was left in a closet in one of my sons room. Love it. I CAN SEE. I have it on a tripod mount and made a rain hood for it and if “out and about” I take what looks like a small hoola-hoop in a bag that quickly turns into a 4x4x7 foot pop up tent. (backpacking bathroom tent from married days) to keep my other gear dry and safe and a shelter. I use the from unzipped flap of the tent door held up outside to allow for a canopy to stand under. 🤷🏻 It’s bright orange so people think I’m from the electric or gas company.

Reactions: Gagey52
I understand I would have to remove the accessories for repair. I went off on a tangent. I think I was on a roll and lack of sleep. Lmao. Sorry.

I understand I would have to remove the accessories for repair. I went off on a tangent. I think I was on a roll and lack of sleep. Lmao. Sorry.
That’s OK we have those moments, enjoyed the post.
Regards

It is not 1000 nits sustained for drone apps or other apps, it is about 600 nits.
Thank you for posting this video, so glad i didn't go the Tripltek route, look how tiny that screen is compared to the iPad, its barely bigger than my iPhone 12 Pro Max, the Tripltek is also 470g heavier than the iPad, to put that into context if you had an iPad 12.9" 2020 and iPad 11" 2021 and stuck them both together it would be the same weight as the Tripltek,. I'm not bashing Tripltek and if Tripltek is what you want then fair enough. Yes the screen ma be 1200 nits, but the cons out weigh the pros in my eyes, its to heavy, its to thick, problematic fitting in holders for drones, i've seen another utube video where the bloke had to design something special just to hold it in place better, and even then the tablet fell out when demonstrating how good/bad his design was, all this versus a screen that's maybe/maybe not bright in full sun ? i've read plenty of posts where people have sent Tripltek back because they fell for the hype and it didn't live up to expectations, i will stick with iPads.

Thank you for posting this video, so glad i didn't go the Tripltek route, look how tiny that screen is compared to the iPad, its barely bigger than my iPhone 12 Pro Max, the Tripltek is also 470g heavier than the iPad, to put that into context if you had an iPad 12.9" 2020 and iPad 11" 2021 and stuck them both together it would be the same weight as the Tripltek,. I'm not bashing Tripltek and if Tripltek is what you want then fair enough. Yes the screen ma be 1200 nits, but the cons out weigh the pros in my eyes, its to heavy, its to thick, problematic fitting in holders for drones, i've seen another utube video where the bloke had to design something special just to hold it in place better, and even then the tablet fell out when demonstrating how good/bad his design was, all this versus a screen that's maybe/maybe not bright in full sun ? i've read plenty of posts where people have sent Tripltek back because they fell for the hype and it didn't live up to expectations, i will stick with iPads.
It all depends on what you like. I think most of the Tripltek users are very happy with it, I am one of them. Here is a photo in comparison with my RC2 Pro that I am not using anymore because I like to fly more with the Triptlek. Once you fly with a 1200 nits screen you will not want to come back to anything less than that. Tripltek8vsRC2.jpeg

It all depends on what you like. I think most of the Tripltek users are very happy with it, I am one of them. Here is a photo in comparison with my RC2 Pro that I am not using anymore because I like to fly more with the Triptlek. Once you fly with a 1200 nits screen you will not want to come back to anything less than that. View attachment 141281
Nice 👍 i can see your point, both screens look really good, like i said previously i was almost at the point of hitting the Buy button on a Triplek 8 on there website, but traded 1200 bits for screen size of an iPad, is that the Mavic 3 in the background

I just tried the Mavic 3 with an iPad Pro M1 12,9" 2021 I just bought for that purpose but didn't like it at all. The transmitted image while flying looks much worse than on the smart controller. The screen is reflecting and by far not bright enough (600 nits) in the sun. Also lacking contrast. It might even be the quality of the transmitted signal which is optimised (occusync 3) in the smart controller. And on top of it all the dji fly app froze in the end with the Mavic 3 in the air. Wow! I will go back to the smart controller. It's just made fir the Mavic 3 and you cannot beat that combo. Happy flying! The Mavic 3 is pure genius though with the tracking functions!! Basically does the shoot for you:).

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett