DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad 7 or iPad Mini 5 to use with my Mavic Air 2?

thesotman

Reactions
Hi,
I'm not sure which iPad to buy to use with my Mavic Air 2.
iPad 7 or iPad Mini 5
Do you need a cellular iPad to fly the MA2?

Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm not sure which iPad to buy to use with my Mavic Air 2.
iPad 7 or iPad Mini 5
Do you need a cellular iPad to fly the MA2?

Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

Size is the important question to you..also WiFi only iPads do not have GPS internal, only the 4G LTE ones (Does not need any service to use it). I had updated from a mini to iPad Pro for future harware requirements of DJI Apps. The mini 5 is more powerful than my "old" Pro.

Also the resale of 4G models is much better had that time come. You don't "need" cellular per say..but as mentioned you might want it (It allows various functions depending on which aircraft). The iPad mini 5 is running a "12" chip while 7th gen iPad is running a old "10" you make the call, both will run the Fly App fine (At present) :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl
In the other hands, the iPad Pro has 100 more nitts (600 in total) than the IPad mini 5gen (500 nitts)

I'm using an Ipad Mini 5 with both my MA2 and my mini. Works well with both. I have wifi only, so don't have maps unless I have my cell phone in my pocket (and have cell reception) and set it up as a hotspot. As an old guy I get a senior discount with unlimited data on the phone plan. This is my first entry into the Apple world, so have things to learn about the Ipad.

In my opinion the iPad mini is the perfect size balanced from a large screen and a constable size to manage on top of the controller. Personally i have the iPad pro 11 and for be honest is too bulky. Also the iPad mini fit in the Mavic 2 controller without adapter that make a plus. This is my personal opinion only.

I have been using a mini4 for the last few years . I load maps before going out and the mini has worked fine for the last 3 drones

Reactions: zeusfl
I have the iPad 7 because I wanted a large screen, cost was an issue and it will only be used as a controller. I wanted GPS and found it on sale for about $380 a couple months back. I'm sure that will come down now that Apple is releasing a new iPad. It works for my needs but is definitely on the heavy side.

In my case in Florida my iPad in the sun gave me error for overheating and shut off the screen. God bless the RTH bottom on the controller.
The Smart Controller do not have that problem. I am not sure if the sunshade will help with the overheating problem.

In my case in Florida my iPad in the sun gave me error for overheating and shut off the screen. God bless the RTH bottom on the controller.
The Smart Controller do not have that problem. I am not sure if the sunshade will help with the overheating problem.
It's for clarity. I would not be flying my drone if it was so hot my ipad was shutting down.

It's for clarity. I would not be flying my drone if it was so hot my ipad was shutting down.
Then I wouldn't fly my drone hardly ever. Florida be like that.

Thanks for the input @zeusfl ... Looks like I'll be going for the SC instead of a tablet.

I use the S20ultra for now, and even it dims after about 5 minutes.

Reactions: floridabeachbum
Flying in high temps is a risk no matter what you do, there is a strain on the display device, as well as the drone itself, as it gets warm even in cooler temps while flying.. and as noted, if you want to fly and your in those environments that are routinely extremely warm, your chances of a failure are higher..

But your options are limited, you fly early, if its cooler, or later if it cools down. Course any time you head up, its a risk, but the results and enjoyment are usually worth it..

Size is the important question to you..also WiFi only iPads do not have GPS internal, only the 4G LTE ones (Does not need any service to use it). I had updated from a mini to iPad Pro for future harware requirements of DJI Apps. The mini 5 is more powerful than my "old" Pro.

Also the resale of 4G models is much better had that time come. You don't "need" cellular per say..but as mentioned you might want it (It allows various functions depending on which aircraft). The iPad mini 5 is running a "12" chip while 7th gen iPad is running a old "10" you make the call, both will run the Fly App fine (At present) :)
Hi i really confused i want a bigger screen than a phone but i also want to use the active track or follow me mode,i have a mavic air two it works for my phone but does it work on an i pad wifi only ipad mini two i also want to use the maps as well does it support that or do i need a cellular i pad or do i have to for k out for an ipad mini five or are the bigger versions ie ten inch i pads that will do all this sorry to hi jack your post but i cant find any answers any where thanks regards graham

Hi i really confused i want a bigger screen than a phone but i also want to use the active track or follow me mode,i have a mavic air two it works for my phone but does it work on an i pad wifi only ipad mini two i also want to use the maps as well does it support that or do i need a cellular i pad or do i have to for k out for an ipad mini five or are the bigger versions ie ten inch i pads that will do all this sorry to hi jack your post but i cant find any answers any where thanks regards graham
The only advantage of owning an iPad with cellular capability but no cellular subscription is you will get a built in working GPS. You will find out quickly that for drone usage however having a GPS in a tablet and no cellular service offers limited value over a wifi only iPad. Most users are fine with wifi only iPads for drone use.

Active Track will work fine with a wifi only iPad because it uses the drone's cameras to track objects not the phone or tablet sensors.

The maps can loaded to the wifi only iPad by viewing the location in advance while connected to wifi at home or by wifi tethering the iPad to a cellphone while in the field. The wifi only iPad will know where the drone is because it gets this information from the GPS in the drone.

This topic has been covered numerous times. If you are only going to use the iPad for your drone or when you will have a wifi signal you can typically save $100 or more by buying a wifi only iPad.

Reactions: Crash_Davis
⁹Hi i really confused i want a bigger screen than a phone but i also want to use the active track or follow me mode,i have a mavic air two it works for my phone but does it work on an i pad wifi only ipad mini two i also want to use the maps as well does it support that or do i need a cellular i pad or do i have to for k out for an ipad mini five or are the bigger versions ie ten inch i pads that will do all this sorry to hi jack your post but i cant find any answers any where thanks regards graham
The only advantage of owning an iPad with cellular capability but no cellular subscription is you will get a built in working GPS. You will find out quickly that for drone usage however having a GPS in a tablet and no cellular service offers limited value over a wifi only iPad. Most users are fine with wifi only iPads for drone use.

Active Track will work fine with a wifi only iPad because it uses the drone's cameras to track objects not the phone or tablet sensors.

The maps can loaded to the wifi only iPad by viewing the location in advance while connected to wifi at home or by wifi tethering the iPad to a cellphone while in the field. The wifi only iPad will know where the drone is because it gets this information from the GPS in the drone.

This topic has been covered numerous times. If you are only going to use the iPad for your drone or when you will have a wifi signal you can typically save $100 or more by buying a wifi.

The iPad mini is significantly lighter than the 10.2 inch iPad which makes holding the controller much, much easier. You really need a lanyard when using the larger heavier iPad.

This topic has been covered numerous times. If you are only going to use the iPad for your drone or when you will have a wifi signal you can typically save $100 or more by buying a wifi.

The iPad mini is significantly lighter than the 10.2 inch iPad which makes holding the controller much, much easier. You really need a lanyard when using the larger heavier iPad.
Thank you for your help much appreciated, just need to decide what i pad now i like a bigger screen so might go for the 10.2 inch just what one ha the bet screen..

Thank you for your help much appreciated, just need to decide what i pad now i like a bigger screen so might go for the 10.2 inch just what one ha the bet screen..
You can compare all specifications here: iPad - Compare Models

It appears they have the same brightness which is probably the most important aspect. In general both these models aren't very bright and therefore can benefit by using a shade

You can compare all specifications here: iPad - Compare Models

It appears they have the same brightness which is probably the most important aspect. In general both these models aren't very bright and therefore can benefit by using a shade
so what would be the brightest if those two are not too bright as im 57 and not got briliant eyes lol i need the 10 inch really

My recommendation would be to get the iPad mini 5 along with a tablet mount, sunshade, lanyard and longer lightning cable. I'm 56 myself and have no problems seeing the screen except when the sun is glaring down directly on the screen.

If you can afford it, skip the tablet all together and buy the Smart Controller. It has the best display but will set you back something like $800

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie