DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad 9.7 or larger + tablet holder on Mavic is possibly causing interference?

nismoz

Reactions
I have been using my iPad 9.7 for a month now. I don't fly far like I used to but I flew my drone out to the point where my drone was out of range yesterday. I noticed that my drone did not get as far as it used to.

If I fly with my phone on the tablet holder, I normally get about 2600m in city. I could go further if I really push it. With the iPad sitting on the tablet holder and its huge aluminum case facing the 2 antenna at an angle (back of the antennas), I get around 2300m and I got a grayed out screen and the drone returned home. I suspect that the aluminum case is causing some sort of interference to the signal.

The drone is losing 300m+ distance and that is a noticeable decrease in performance.

Have anyone experienced this same situation? I am thinking about getting the iPad mini now since it will fit right into the Mavic mount, thus, nothing will be on the way of the antennas.

Can't say that I've noticed a difference in range when flying with my iPhone 6 and my iPad Pro 9.7. I use the Mavmount and have the iPad in airplane mode and in the same position as you do.

Theo

Just so you are aware the one edge of the iPad models has a magnetic Edge for accessories which has been brought up as an issue in the past. Many have suspected interference to the antennas

Just so you are aware the one edge of the iPad models has a magnetic Edge for accessories which has been brought up as an issue in the past. Many have suspected interference to the antennas

Interesting! I like to have the usb cable on my right with the iPad in landscape mode. That would put the magnetic edge behind the antennas rather that right above them.

Give that a try, nismoz, and let us know.

Theo

Thanks for the input guys.

It's interesting to know that new iPad models have magnetic edges.

I always have the USB cable on my right as well. I believe that the aluminum case is acting the same way as the windsurfer boosters do. In fact, I've found that windsurfers decrease performance on my Mavic and cause my Mavic to loose signal frequently so I don't use it. Now, the aluminum case is either absorbing or bouncing the signal to the wrong direction.

Same experience when I fly in mountain area where there is absolutely no interference from anything. My cell signal was also out so there is no cell towers in the area. LOS is miles out. With phone in Mavic mount, I was able to get 2 miles out and the signal bars were still full. With the iPad, I also was able to get to 2 miles but the signal was only 2-3 bars.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost