DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Air 2 Barometer: using Autopilot

zaboaa

Reactions
Little confused on whats going on with this. When I launch a moving Follow operation via Autopilot it asks to confirm the altimeter pressure. It always shows it with VERY low pressure
( i.e. 29.58) when the actual pressure is maybe 30.01. I know this is getting the info from the iPad because when I launch a 3rd party app to check it, the altimeter pressure matches what Autopilot shows.

I have a couple questions on this:

- Is there a way to set the Autopilot AND/or the iPad to the actual correct pressure setting?

- The Flight School talks about calibrating the Altimeter, but I can't find how to do that anywhere?

Any insight on this subject and how it interacts with autopilot appreciated.

The altimeter readings that you take from the app on the iPad is telling you your actual altitude as it reads the barometer and this can vary from the reported pressure depending on where you are (indoor, outdoor, what's your actual elevation from the see level) the reported pressure published by the weather channels or websites is giving you the barometer reading of the whole area where you live at see level so if you are living in a multiple story building the you are already elevated from see level so you will never have a reading as same as reported
So, what is your reference when you are comparing the iPad reading with the actual barometer reading of a whole city?

Little confused on whats going on with this. When I launch a moving Follow operation via Autopilot it asks to confirm the altimeter pressure. It always shows it with VERY low pressure
( i.e. 29.58) when the actual pressure is maybe 30.01. I know this is getting the info from the iPad because when I launch a 3rd party app to check it, the altimeter pressure matches what Autopilot shows.

I have a couple questions on this:

- Is there a way to set the Autopilot AND/or the iPad to the actual correct pressure setting?

- The Flight School talks about calibrating the Altimeter, but I can't find how to do that anywhere?

Any insight on this subject and how it interacts with autopilot appreciated.

I don't think it is important for the pressure to be the same as the one reported in your area. For Autopilot the pressure reading is only a reference value to understand if you are climbing or descending.

Reactions: zaboaa
The altimeter readings that you take from the app on the iPad is telling you your actual altitude as it reads the barometer and this can vary from the reported pressure depending on where you are (indoor, outdoor, what's your actual elevation from the see level) the reported pressure published by the weather channels or websites is giving you the barometer reading of the whole area where you live at see level so if you are living in a multiple story building the you are already elevated from see level so you will never have a reading as same as reported
So, what is your reference when you are comparing the iPad reading with the actual barometer reading of a whole city?

Yes what the local airport is. I have been a professional pilot for 30 years, there is NO way that the airport that is 5 miles from my house has a a pressure reading of 30.05 and my house has 25.84. That is huge discrepancy. BTW measured outside, not in.

I don't think it is important for the pressure to be the same as the one reported in your area. For Autopilot the pressure reading is only a reference value to understand if you are climbing or descending.
I'm surprised it would be that in accurate.

I am undecided between Litchi and autopilot .. is the barometer meaning that I could use follow me over different levels of terrain a deal maker/breaker .. I'm new to drones and am erring towards Litchi but not sure if I need this feature or not .. or if it may anyways be added into a future Litchi update .. thoughts please ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada