DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad hood suggestion

alopeznj

Reactions
Ok, Fellow pilots. Flew today and using an IPAD 9" WITH MAVMOUNT . Problem is I cannot see a darn thing even when ipad is at full brightness in the sun.

Any suggestions ? I know they make a hood but what do you recommend.

Mavic pro with mavmount.

Reactions: Dedal
I've never really liked the idea of screen shades / hoods.

Not discounting how they would work shading the screen, but it'd be hard to access screen for touch control, menus etc.
I have trouble with the arms sometimes encroaching on various devices like the phone and mini4 in the corners and edges, let alone a deep screen shade.

In general, I try and fly mostly in the early or late daylight, best for video and photos anyway . . . if I fly during the middle parts of the day, I try and do it from a shady spot, or keep my back to the sun and wear a broad brimmed hat.

Have you considered . . .

92011-600x700.jpg

Ok, Fellow pilots. Flew today and using an IPAD 9" WITH MAVMOUNT . Problem is I cannot see a darn thing even when ipad is at full brightness in the sun.

Mavic pro with mavmount.
The problem with the lower brightness (nits) normally found with tablets is not only screen reflections but because your eye pupil contracts in the bright outdoors and makes the screen seem dimmer. The reflections can be reduced by a hood and brimmed hat blocking some sky reflections and wearing a dark shirt to limit reflections off of it. Your eye iris (like a camera lens aperture) will adjust (open) somewhat in shade/car etc. If you eliminate most of the ambient light from your view so all you are seeing is the screen with long hood that extends up to your face to meet your eyes, your eyes will now adjust to the screen brightness. A towel over your head will help.

Great for shooting video if you have a spotter who is watching the drone. If by yourself the trouble is going back and forth looking up at the bright sky and back down to the hood as it will take a few seconds for your eyes to readjust.

I used the Mavemount hood for awhile and now only occasionally. I found it will create a dark space (tunnel) to view your tablet, but it felt awkward, got hot when I placed my face on the cover to look at tablet. It even has a slot so you can reach in and make on screen adjustments. Quality is good, folds up compact and only takes a moment to setup, I just found I was using it less and less. Like others, I found shade (ie. tree, umbrella, truck), time of day, direction of sun, anti-glare screen protectors to be helpful. I also fly with a Samsung Note 8, that has 1000 nits, that works just fine in the sunlight. Yep, so I have the sunshade in my case, if I am in that situation using a tablet and unable to mitigate sun exposure to the face of the tablet. Just my thoughts.

I used the Mavemount hood for awhile and now only occasionally. I found it will create a dark space (tunnel) to view your tablet, but it felt awkward, got hot when I placed my face on the cover to look at tablet. It even has a slot so you can reach in and make on screen adjustments. Quality is good, folds up compact and only takes a moment to setup, I just found I was using it less and less. Like others, I found shade (ie. tree, umbrella, truck), time of day, direction of sun, anti-glare screen protectors to be helpful. I also fly with a Samsung Note 8, that has 1000 nits, that works just fine in the sunlight. Yep, so I have the sunshade in my case, if I am in that situation using a tablet and unable to mitigate sun exposure to the face of the tablet. Just my thoughts.
Good point , I can try moving to a dark side. But in most occasions im in the middle of a large green field like a Golf Course. I picked up a shade for 20 bucks. Lets see how that works. Could also be that I wear transition prescription glasses that darken in the Sun.

Mavic pro with mavmount.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton, Ohio! THIS HOOD is a pretty popular one, the L200 model is the one you would want I believe. Fly safe and have fun!

Aerial... I got a Hoodman cheap. Prob like other pilots said. I need to place myself better. I forget that I do not need to be 3 feet from the Drone to take off ! I can go under a tree or or something.
Guess i'm a helicopter parent with my drone :) . IF I dont like it i'll return it. Already have so much junk i'l need my own airport.

Thanks again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S