DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Min 4 Wifi non-cellular GPS?

Gary

Reactions
I bought a new Ipad Mini 4 WIFI 128GB. I ran the Antutu performance test and was pleasantly surprised. It listed both GPS chips! I wondered if this was somehow wrong, so I took the Ipad Mini 4 Wifi with me in the car. Using a cached Google Maps, it accurately showed my position. Interesting. I am wondering if the Ipad Mini 4 128gb has been upgraded or they are using the cellular board in the current version?

I bought a new Ipad Mini 4 WIFI 128GB. I ran the Antutu performance test and was pleasantly surprised. It listed both GPS chips! I wondered if this was somehow wrong, so I took the Ipad Mini 4 Wifi with me in the car. Using a cached Google Maps, it accurately showed my position. Interesting. I am wondering if the Ipad Mini 4 128gb has been upgraded or they are using th e cellular board in the current version?

Did you get your thru the Best Buy Memorial Day sale??

I bought it directly through Apple, I tried to buy the Best Buy deal, but was unsuccessful.

I had my Iphone with me. In the Ipad Mini 4 /Settings/Location Services/Share My Location/ it is set to "From This Device". My Iphone is listed under, but not set to the Iphone. I will try it without the Iphone in the car to make sure it isn't using the Iphones location. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Try follow me mode. That will truly test if it matters whether you have wifi only or cellular.

Yes i would like to know this as well. Im in the market in buy an ipad mini for using my Mavic. If i dont need cellular then that would be better.

Reactions: Wersh
I have an iPad mini 4 128 GB WiFi (Non-cellular). When I try to update the homepoint with the controller location, it gives an error...

I want to post my results so there are no questions as to whether the Mini 4 wifi has GPS. I further tested the mini with bluetooth and wifi turned off while driving in my car and it stopped where wifi and bluetooth were turned off. My conclusion, the Mini 4 Wifi does not have any GPS. The Antutu App was incorrect. I have not tried follow me, but after the test I see no point. It was interesting to me that Antutu showed my Mini 2 as not having GPS, both Mini 2 and 4 running IOS 10.3.2, that's why my question to begin with. Thanks all for the posts.

On Apple devices with WiFi only, you can still get some location information through WiFi signals in the air. If you are within range of identifiable WiFi systems (pretty much every public WiFi and then some), then it can give you a best guess location based on that.

Anecdotal: You might be able to also get navigation or even location information based on the accelerometer in your device using certain apps. I have not verified this myself, but people tell me that they were able to use Google Maps to get directions in rural areas where there are no detectable WiFi in the air (or any other humans for that matter) for miles.

General flying yes but not all intelligent flight modes like follow me

Exactly, even when tethered to the phone, the iPad is not getting GPS data, so nothing for the Go app to work with...

Are you talking about active track on the Mavic, it's going to get location regardless because your phone that you have your iPad tethered to will use the phones location and as long as you have your phone on you it'll work

Are you talking about active track on the Mavic, it's going to get location regardless because your phone that you have your iPad tethered to will use the phones location and as long as you have your phone on you it'll work

Active Track uses vision, it has nothing to do with GPS.

The follow mode uses GPS and no, it won't get GPS data from a tethered phone.

Reactions: kiwi flyer
No big deal, I'll mess around with it. I get the feeling active track is more stable than follow me unless your camouflage to the terrain

No big deal, I'll mess around with it. I get the feeling active track is more stable than follow me unless your camouflage to the terrain

They are correct in a sense, but I think they are being too literal, yes it is correct the iPad does not have GPS, however if you are tethered to your phone which does then the iPad will function when running the Go4 app just as it would if it did have GPS because it uses the GPS from the phone. In fact I never even thought about it before reading this topic. I always went out and flew and everything functioned on my iPad just as it does when using my phone because my iPad is always tethered to my phone. I've always had maps and GPS without any issues. Now I'll have to turn off the wifi connection and see what happens, although I'm sure the others are correct and I won't have GPS information.

Now I will add this to clear up my previous post, I cannot confirm "follow me mode" because I've never used it with or without the iPad.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada