DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 2 or android tablet as Mavic Air display?

Silverspirit

Reactions
Hi everyone.

I'm a new pilot and currently use my Samsung Galaxy S8+ as the display for my Mavic Air. I find some of the controls such as RTH difficult to touch when mounted to the controller (the hand grips make it really difficult to use the on screen buttons). I would also like a bigger screen.

My sister has a second hand iPad mini 2 she's willing to sell me. I've heard they're ok but there's some issue with whether it has GPS fitted? Alternatively I prefer Android tablets but I've heard they're not compatible with DJI Go 4?

Any advice would be greatly received!

I am also an android fan , but DJI go 4 does work better with apple devices. you will need at least ipad mini 4.
the ipad mini 2 might work if you use it in airplane mode and disable local video cache on the app.
also don't use screen recorder on ipad. This is just my opinion. use it with grain of salt.

FYI - MacRumors - expecting iPad Mini 5 first half of 2019, in case you want the latest and greatest.

FYI - MacRumors - expecting iPad Mini 5 first half of 2019, in case you want the latest and greatest.

Is there any (drone) benefit for the latest and greatest? I know not all people do, but seems like many use dedicated devices so a leap to a mini 5 would seem like a waste of money if that is all you use it for.

Is there any (drone) benefit for the latest and greatest? I know not all people do, but seems like many use dedicated devices so a leap to a mini 5 would seem like a waste of money if that is all you use it for.
You could certainly save some money by getting a mini4, especially as their prices will go down when the mini5 comes out. I'm planning on waiting and getting a mini5 though, as I'll use it not only with my Mavic 2 Controller but also to replace my older iPad at home which has a broken screen. Now if I can just avoid dropping the mini5 when I get it...

My sister has a second hand iPad mini 2 she's willing to sell me. I've heard they're ok but there's some issue with whether it has GPS fitted? Alternatively I prefer Android tablets but I've heard they're not compatible with DJI Go 4?
The iPad 2 does not have a fast enough processor to run the DJI Go 4 app well.
Whether it has GPS or not makes very little difference.
The only two things that can use GPS data from the tablet/phone are:
1. Follow-me flight (Active track works better and doesn't need GPS from the phone/tablet).
2. Resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller. (used if flying from a moving boat or car but resetting to the drone's current location works just as well in most cases)

Alternatively I prefer Android tablets but I've heard they're not compatible with DJI Go 4?
That's one of the myths you'll hear and there's no truth in it at all.
The app runs just as well (or poorly) on Apple or Android.
If the device has a fast processor and enough RAM, it will run well.
If you were looking for a good Android tablet, the Huawei M3 or M5 8 inch tablets are probably the best flying tablets available.

The iPad 2 does not have a fast enough processor to run the DJI Go 4 app well.
Whether it has GPS or not makes very little difference.
The only two things that can use GPS data from the tablet/phone are:
1. Follow-me flight (Active track works better and doesn't need GPS from the phone/tablet).
2. Resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller. (used if flying from a moving boat or car but resetting to the drone's current location works just as well in most cases)

That's one of the myths you'll hear and there's no truth in it at all.
The app runs just as well (or poorly) on Apple or Android.
If the device has a fast processor and enough RAM, it will run well.
If you were looking for a good Android tablet, the Huawei M3 or M5 8 inch tablets are probably the best flying tablets available.

I don't know about "well", but it does run on the Mini 2 I have. I have replaced that with an 1st gen Air which runs it as well.

I've tried my iPhone 8, iPad (2018) and iPad Mini 2. The Mini is the perfect size and shape, but the 2 is grossly under-powered for the GO 4 - I had processor overload and overheating messages galore, and corrupted downlink video. No technical problems using either the iPhone or the iPad, though the iPad 9.7" bit too big (IMO), and the iPhone is a bit small.

To me, a Mini 5, with current hardware under the hood, would be a fantastic choice, unless you MUST have it now.

Wait until the mini5 comes out, and then buy an iPad Mini4 when the prices go down. I’m running a Mini4 right now between several birds, but I’m going to buy another 4 when prices go down. This time more than a 32G....

I've tried my iPhone 8, iPad (2018) and iPad Mini 2. The Mini is the perfect size and shape, but the 2 is grossly under-powered for the GO 4 - I had processor overload and overheating messages galore, and corrupted downlink video. No technical problems using either the iPhone or the iPad, though the iPad 9.7" bit too big (IMO), and the iPhone is a bit small.

To me, a Mini 5, with current hardware under the hood, would be a fantastic choice, unless you MUST have it now.

I love the full size iPad for drone flying. Since there is nothing you need to see on the controller for the Air (or the Spark), give me all that real estate. Might be these old eyes, but I did have the mini for a bit, but after having the chance to try it with a full sized one I'll never go back.

I am also an android fan , but DJI go 4 does work better with apple devices.

For the record this is not true, but over time it has become more clear how misinformation like this get perpetuated. Even DJI chooses Android to run their own App whenever possible. I run it on both Apple and Android devices in tandem and anecdotally speaking I have only ever had issues with the iOS devices, but sample size is tiny. Performance otherwise is identical, other than certain things being easier to do on Android (like FCC hack), and you have access to better/brighter/bigger screens.

As long as you have similar hardware power, the app runs just as well on either operating system. This is where the disconnect seems to be for most people. What I find happens most often is people go out and buy the cheapest Android tablet they can find (you can buy 8" tablets for $80 or less), ignoring DJI's recommendations, only to find out it's much to slow to run the app properly and blame Android. You don't have to pay Apple prices to get a fast tablet, but you can't buy just any old tablet either - you are going to have to pay up to a certain degree for good hardware regardless of who makes it.

iPad Mini's right now are hilariously overpriced and are a joke from a hardware standpoint, the Mini 4 is still sporting 2014 hardware (yes, 5 year old hardware) and costs more than a 2018 full size iPad 9.7". The iPad Mini 5 will be out soon and all rumors point to much better internals and a massive price reduction to bring things back down to earth. The iPad Mini 2 is not fast enough to run Dji GO4 smoothly and reliably, nor does DJI recommend you use it.

People talking about Apple only thing different is usually dji updates the apple app sooner talking about weeks no big deal if you use Samsung stick with Android why not?

Any tablet with a fast enough processor and sufficient RAM should work fine. I’m using the iPad mini 4 WiFi (exclusively for flying my drones) and have no complaints. Also used the Huawei Mate 7 which worked quite admirably too. The only issue i’ve had with both is lack of screen brightness which is problematic outdoors in the sun but I guess that applies to all tabs and phones with the exception of the DJICrystalsky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+