DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad mini 4 for MAVIC question

marklyn

Reactions
I'm strongly considering using a small tablet instead of my phone on the controller and have always been an android fan *but* I went to the local Fry's and held an iPad mini 4, and even put it in the controller arms and it fit so darn nicely that I think I'm going to try to find one used.
Since I'm not familiar with Apple products, if I find an iPad mini on eB*y or Amazon resellers, are the "important" specs going to be the same for the wifi only version?
Can a 16gb version work or is there some specification on the CPU/GPU that I need to look for? With androids, each make/model may have different CPU's and GPU's so one really has to drill down into the innards to know what you're getting. I'm not sure if Apple is like that or not.
I'm seeing some listings of the iPad mini 4 as "3rd generation, 4th generation"... what is that?
Any suggestions or feedback on your use of your iPad mini 4 is appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: retiredwon
If budget isn't a concern get minimum 128 gig iPad Mini 4 w/cellular, you don't need to activate the cell service.

Budget is a big concern for me, hoping to get something under 250$

Budget is a big concern for me, hoping to get something under 250$
I am looking to do the same but from my research I have read that the GPS signal in the IPad or for that matter iPhone or Android Phone or tablet receives its GPS coordinates from the triangulation of "Cell Towers". It is NOT as accurate as a dedicated GPS like the "Garmin Glos" which costs $100 and links via Bluetooth. So for $350-400 you can get the "IPad Mini 4" w. 128 gigabytes then get the Garmin for $100 & you are into it for $450-500.
The Garmin fits into your pocket & can also be linked to your phone for GPS when you have no phone signal

Don't waste your time on any earlier versions like the "Mini 3" or 2
I would wait until I could afford the "4"
I'm only looking at the 4... one of my questions is basically is a mini 4 the same no matter what or are there different iterations (besides memory and wifi/cellular). I just want to be sure that if I'm buying a mini 4 that I'm not getting one that is the "oldest" and maybe the cpu/gpu power has been improved in newer builds of the mini 4 (if that makes sense).

Don't waste your time on any earlier versions like the "Mini 3" or 2
I would wait until I could afford the "4"

Mini 2 is just fine. Cell service only needed for follow me and moving home point (i.e. practically never - use phone if need to do that)

I'd say 32gb is better as can likely store the full 16gb cache in DJI GO4.

I have a 32gb mini 2 with cellular and works just great.

I'm only looking at the 4... one of my questions is basically is a mini 4 the same no matter what or are there different iterations (besides memory and wifi/cellular). I just want to be sure that if I'm buying a mini 4 that I'm not getting one that is the "oldest" and maybe the cpu/gpu power has been improved in newer builds of the mini 4 (if that makes sense).

Mini 4 is the mini 4 is the mini 4

HTH

I think someone just posted bestbuy was selling them on sale for 300$ iirc, mini 4 is absolutely the best way to go, so much better than a little phone, makes flying so much nicer to.

So do you have to have the wifi and cellular version? I want to get one but dint want to pay for cellular activation. Would I have to connect to wifi everytime before flying to cahe maps or will it do it without any internet service?

Reactions: EJay
I am looking to do the same but from my research I have read that the GPS signal in the IPad or for that matter iPhone or Android Phone or tablet receives its GPS coordinates from the triangulation of "Cell Towers". It is NOT as accurate as a dedicated GPS like the "Garmin Glos" which costs $100 and links via Bluetooth. So for $350-400 you can get the "IPad Mini 4" w. 128 gigabytes then get the Garmin for $100 & you are into it for $450-500.
The Garmin fits into your pocket & can also be linked to your phone for GPS when you have no phone signal

...and I thought I finally had reached the end of my accessory acquisition rage....sigh....:(

I am looking to do the same but from my research I have read that the GPS signal in the IPad or for that matter iPhone or Android Phone or tablet receives its GPS coordinates from the triangulation of "Cell Towers".

That's not true. Cell towers and wifi can be used to determine approximate location when indoors and can also speed up the process of locking onto the GPS satellites outdoors, but iPhones, Android phones, and iPads with cellular all have true GPS location with similar accuracy to standalone consumer GPS units.

Reactions: EJay
So do you have to have the wifi and cellular version? I want to get one but dint want to pay for cellular activation. Would I have to connect to wifi everytime before flying to cahe maps or will it do it without any internet service?
Cellular not required - You will have to cache the maps for the area you are going to fly (or hook it up to you mobile phone by setting your phone as a wifi hot spot [tethering]).

You will not be able to use the Follow Me mode and you wont be able to reset the home point if you move location (such as on a boat).

To tackle the latter I will be using a Garmin GLO GPS Bluetooth device (costs around £80 / $100) but most will not want/need one

All mini 4's are pretty old (around 2 years old) at this point, and only have about half the performance of an iPhone 7 or iPad Pro.

That's not true. Cell towers and wifi can be used to determine approximate location when indoors and can also speed up the process of locking onto the GPS satellites outdoors, but iPhones, Android phones, and iPads with cellular all have true GPS location with similar accuracy to standalone consumer GPS units.
That's not my experience. Out fishing in the northern Maine woods. No cell service & no gps. With "Garmin Glos" you will have GPS & because it also has Glosnet it WILL be more accurate.

That's not my experience. Out fishing in the northern Maine woods. No cell service & no gps. With "Garmin Glos" you will have GPS & because it also has Glosnet it WILL be more accurate.

I was only referring to GPS and not GLONASS. It's a myth that iPads with cellular capability don't have true GPS.

Here is a test where an iPad, iPhone, and a Moto Droid were all more accurate than a Garmin unit that they tested:

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...551d6ace501d/1409344133797/DeviceAccuracy.pdf

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11