DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini 4 vs. 5?

Flyhigh1

Reactions
I just flew my Air 2S for the first time with a my iPad mini 4 and when I was flying pretty fast I noticed quite a bit of lag on the transmission. Has anyone flown the Air 2S with the iPad mini 5? I know the processor is faster but does it really make a difference or is there still lag?

As I mentioned in previous posts, the larger, more complex capabilities of the newer revisions of DJI Fly request more processing from the iPad Mini 4, than it is capable to handle without disruption of function.

I currently use the Mini 6 in my business, but my Mini 5 did everything we required at the time. We went with the Mini 6, predicting that the Fly app would eventually exceed the Mini 5’s capabilities in the future. It is difficult to predict, when or even if, this might occur. Other than larger memory options, the A12 processor doesn’t break a sweat with the Fly app, compared to the A8 of the Mini 4.

Reactions: Capt KO and AVLJMA
I agree with @15PSI. I had the Mini 4 and was getting messages that appeared to indicate the processor could not handle the DJI App properly. My Mini 5 took care of that.
I would get the latest model you can get.

As I mentioned in previous posts, the larger, more complex capabilities of the newer revisions of DJI Fly request more processing from the iPad Mini 4, than it is capable to handle without disruption of function.

I currently use the Mini 6 in my business, but my Mini 5 did everything we required at the time. We went with the Mini 6, predicting that the Fly app would eventually exceed the Mini 5’s capabilities in the future. It is difficult to predict, when or even if, this might occur. Other than larger memory options, the A12 processor doesn’t break a sweat with the Fly app, compared to the A8 of the Mini 4.
Thank you for replying to my thread. I was also looking at the mini 6 and that seems to be the one to go with for the extra hundred dollar price difference. What is your opinion on the brightness of the screen as using it as a display in the sun? I was watching a couple reviews on YouTube and people are saying that the screen should be a little brighter in their opinion. Trying to decide if the 6 is a good fit for a dedicated display or wait until the new one comes out in the future in hopes that the screen might be brighter? thanks again for your time.

The mini 5 is a reasonably priced option, I use now. The most useful addition is a sun shield or mini screen not very visible in full sun.

The mini 5 is a reasonably priced option, I use now. The most useful addition is a sun shield or mini screen not very visible in full sun.
True. And I have noticed that it can get hot and start to become a darker screen. But that has happened only on the hottest of days.

True. And I have noticed that it can get hot and start to become a darker screen. But that has happened only on the hottest of days.
With the sun shield I don't have the overheat problem anymore in Florida sun. Not yet anyhow with mini 5. Flying today on the beach 😎

…Trying to decide if the 6 is a good fit for a dedicated display or wait until the new one comes out in the future in hopes that the screen might be brighter? thanks again for your time.
I’d not wait for the next iPad Mini - a brighter display is unlikely, in my opinion, as Apple has not focused on this through multiple generations of multiple iPad lines.

Happy here with an iPad Mini 5 64GB! I do use this sun shield in size L168 (link) as needed, but that isn’t often in the Pacific Northwest. I’m sure I’d feel differently about screen brightness if I lived in the desert Southwest or regularly flew over sand/snow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121