DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad mini-4 wifi only with Garmin Glo

Brett 21

Reactions
Help.Bought Glo and 128 gb mini 4 without cellular to avoid mobile hotspot with phone.Cant get it to work with Google maps or DJI go app(meaning it doesn't show up in map of where I'm at)while flying.Please don't tell me I need to purchase Navigon(Garmin)for 60 bucks just to see a continuous update of where I am.I thought shelling out 99 dinero for the Glo plus cost savings of wifi only ipad plus added subscription savings of additional data plan was good but I didn't research enough.Thought bluetooth thru Garmin would provide a "live" map in go app.

Help.Bought Glo and 128 gb mini 4 without cellular to avoid mobile hotspot with phone.Cant get it to work with Google maps or DJI go app(meaning it doesn't show up in map of where I'm at)while flying.Please don't tell me I need to purchase Navigon(Garmin)for 60 bucks just to see a continuous update of where I am.I thought shelling out 99 dinero for the Glo plus cost savings of wifi only ipad plus added subscription savings of additional data plan was good but I didn't research enough.Thought bluetooth thru Garmin would provide a "live" map in go app.
So are you caching the maps on WiFi before flying?

Reactions: Brett 21
Garmin Glo will provide GPS positioning, but it will not provide data, thus no "live" map.

As noted above, you can cache the maps in DJI Go 4 when you are connected to an source with Internet access before you go out.

And on Google Maps, you can download offline maps in the app. Again, you will need to do this when you are connected to the Internet.

Garmin Glo will provide GPS positioning, but it will not provide data, thus no "live" map.

As noted above, you can cache the maps in DJI Go 4 when you are connected to an source with Internet access before you go out.

And on Google Maps, you can download offline maps in the app. Again, you will need to do this when you are connected to the Internet.
So, there's really no need for the Glo ?

The Glo is just a GPS receiver.

Only usefull if you want to set homepoint to controller or use follow me mode.

That's it.
Exactly. The drone doesn't need to know where you are unless you are using one of those functions.

Otherwise, it just needs to know where IT is relative to where IT took off. The Garmin Glo (or any external GPS receiver) is not needed for the drone to do this.

One other thing. If you literally want to use Google Maps on your iPad with the GPS receiver to do something completely separate from your Mavic (ie navigation), then yes, coupled with offline maps, then the GPS receiver would be useful.

no need for anything other than a WiFi iPad and a internet connection to cache maps before you head out to fly. I use google maps app on my iPad mini 4 and just set up cache map in Go4 app settings. I zoom out so I get a good view and then zoom in to suit my needs. works great. No need for cellular iPad . And If I did need internet I can always hot spot my cell phone to the tablet to load maps if I’m away from home and forgot to load before I went out.

In that case can I get a gps garmin glo receiver that will work perfectly like the ipad mini 4? I need to use the follow rc position function

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929