DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad mini 4

Fergy

Reactions
G'day all,
Have and flown for about 4 years now, currently fly the MA2, my problem I believe is with my Mini 4 the last few flights that I have done the video seems to stop (lag) and re commences again after about 10 seconds, I have only ever used the Ipad for flying I have deleted any aps that I dont use and have streamlined it as best I can. I have had it since new about 4 years and was wondering if it may just be getting tired.

Any suggestions other than a new Ipad mini5.

thanks
John
Australia.

Hey there Fergy, I also use an iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. Recently I had a similar lag that I thought it was the video lagging as I flew. My controller showed full strength bars on the HD and the controller. I surely didn’t feel safe flying with this kind of lagging issues. Either way, I re-calibrated my controller and my Mavic 2 Pro seems flying fine now. Try it and see if this will help you as well.[emoji576][emoji41]

Reactions: Fergy
Hey there Fergy, I also use an iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. Recently I had a similar lag that I thought it was the video lagging as I flew. My controller showed full strength bars on the HD and the controller. I surely didn’t feel safe flying with this kind of lagging issues. Either way, I re-calibrated my controller and my Mavic 2 Pro seems flying fine now. Try it and see if this will help you as well.[emoji576][emoji41]
Thanks Kent will give it a try.

I had the same issue with my iPhone 12 yesterday.

By I had about 20 minutes trouble free flying in a green space.

I left the drone out with battery in and phone connected to controller... but both off.

When I turned it back on, the screen had totally frozen although I could control the drone.

I suspect it overheated in the sun.

Have you cleared the video cache?
Do you even have it switch on?
Switch off the video cache in the Go4 App and see if that improves the situation.

Video Cache
Three dots ... top right goes to General settings
Cache during video shooting (switch it off)
or leaver it on and set the maximum video cache size
and the clear cache automatically option.

Run iTunes and under File Sharing see what apps are gobbling up memory on your ipad (and/or/if) it is a memory issue.
You can also download the internal files of the Dji Go 4 App from here such as 'waypoints.db'.
The db files can be read and altered by SQLite if needs be.

Have you cleared the video cache?
Do you even have it switch on?
Switch off the video cache in the Go4 App and see if that improves the situation.

Video Cache
Three dots ... top right goes to General settings
Cache during video shooting (switch it off)
or leaver it on and set the maximum video cache size
and the clear cache automatically option.

Run iTunes and under File Sharing see what apps are gobbling up memory on your ipad (and/or/if) it is a memory issue.
You can also download the internal files of the Dji Go 4 App from here such as 'waypoints.db'.
The db files can be read and altered by SQLite if needs be.
Thanks for your reply, as I said I run the Ipad streamlined I have everything turned off that I dont require, I do not use the Go4 app I use the Gofly app with my MA2.

thanks

I also have been flying my air 2s with a streamlined iPad mini 4 and had screen freezing issues and lost my drone but was able to find it using find my drone, but will no longer be using the iPad mini 4 to fly with

G'day all,
Have and flown for about 4 years now, currently fly the MA2, my problem I believe is with my Mini 4 the last few flights that I have done the video seems to stop (lag) and re commences again after about 10 seconds, I have only ever used the Ipad for flying I have deleted any aps that I dont use and have streamlined it as best I can. I have had it since new about 4 years and was wondering if it may just be getting tired.

Any suggestions other than a new Ipad mini5.

thanks
John
Australia.
I have had a similar problem with my mini4. It used to work fine. I conclude upgrading the mini4 to iOS 14 caused the problem. I went back to using a mini2 with the same version of the Fly app. This mini has iOS 12. Works fine. Sadly Apple will not let you roll back the iOS so my mini4 is unsafe for flying. I found the video lag went through the roof if an audio alert was being issue. Prices of mini5 should be going down in the next few weeks as the mini6 is being released on the 24 of Sep.

I considered the mini iPad 5, but decided to go with a iPad version 6, more screen to see what going on while flying. I bought both used off Facebook market place with no problems. I also went with the cellular version, you don't have to pay for cellular service, but having that service you don't have to download maps, and also I believe has GPS and compass, that aid in flying.

I considered the mini iPad 5, but decided to go with a iPad version 6, more screen to see what going on while flying. I bought both used off Facebook market place with no problems. I also went with the cellular version, you don't have to pay for cellular service, but having that service you don't have to download maps, and also I believe has GPS and compass, that aid in flying.
My mini6 arrives Sep 27.

If you have an iPad Mini 4, don't update to iPadOS15 — it makes the DJI app (1.4.8) unusably laggy. iPadOS14 worked for me if I restarted the iPad mini immmediately before flight; no longer. Am rolling back to iPadOS14.8

If you have an iPad Mini 4, don't update to iPadOS15 — it makes the DJI app (1.4.8) unusably laggy. iPadOS14 worked for me if I restarted the iPad mini immmediately before flight; no longer. Am rolling back to iPadOS14.8
I am not technically savvy, how can I do this with my Ipad mini 4.

Unfortunately Apple closed the window for rolling back to 14.8 yesterday; I just tried. Deleting and reinstalling the DJI Fly app has helped a little bit — as an alternative.

Hello again John. Finally, my problem is solved. iOS15 had some weird bug and suddenly wiped the whole iPad Mini 4. I wasn't happy. But restoring everything from a backup cleared all of the lagginess. Not just DJI Fly, but all the apps now feel much faster. I suspect the storage on the iPad had become fragmented over time and too many updates.

Hello again John. Finally, my problem is solved. iOS15 had some weird bug and suddenly wiped the whole iPad Mini 4. I wasn't happy. But restoring everything from a backup cleared all of the lagginess. Not just DJI Fly, but all the apps now feel much faster. I suspect the storage on the iPad had become fragmented over time and too many updates.
I might try a factory reset and see if that helps.

I have the iPad mini 4 and I will also look for a used or refurbished iPad 6 with cellular.

Final outcome, I went and purchased the Tripletek 8 Pro, I am glad that I took the time to look at all the options out there in regards to devices, this is a great piece of kit.

Reactions: COffe
Final outcome, I went and purchased the Tripletek 8 Pro, I am glad that I took the time to look at all the options out there in regards to devices, this is a great piece of kit.
Any lag with it? Where did you buy it? $795?

Hi John,
I’ve been using Apple mini 4 (2015 vintage) for 1&1/2 years. It worked great initially, however recently have noticed issues that I believe are related to the operating speed of the mini 4. With all the DJI revisions and push updates over time, it puts an extra load on the mini 4, and I believe the mini is maxed out speed wise. I was considering upgrading to a mini 5 or 6 ($$) however my iPhone 6 needs upgrading so I ordered a new iPhone 13 pro max that has a large screen and I will use that for flying my drone in lieu of the mini 4.
B52-D
Blue Skys & Happy Contrails ➰

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty