DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Mini 5, cell and wifi? Or just wifi?

xpane22

Reactions
Was wondering what you guys's thoughts on using a Ipad Mini 5 for flying, do I need cell, or will plain wifi work?

Last edited:
do I need cell, or will plain wife work?
Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad Mini models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to activate the cell service in order to use the GPS.

The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Apple device when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off. If you're going to use a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you could attach a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to add GPS later if needed.

All of the other GPS related features (like return to home) use data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver. Those features work even if you're using a Wi-Fi only mobile device.

Reactions: brett8883
Thank you for the quick response on a long searched question. Watched many youtube vids but this was never mentioned. Will check out the bt gps.

Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad Mini models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to activate the cell service in order to use the GPS.

The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Apple device when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off. If you're going to use a Wi-Fi only Apple device, you could attach a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to add GPS later if needed.

All of the other GPS related features (like return to home) use data from the Mavic's internal GPS receiver. Those features work even if you're using a Wi-Fi only mobile device.

Thanks for the very clear explanation. I’ve been using a iPad mini 4 with success but I tether to my iPhone so I get refreshed maps. I’ve been assuming it’s safer for me to fly with a tethered connection. Not because I might use follow me mode. But I’m about to by a IPad mini 5, and have the choice of WiFi only or cell. I do not need or want a cell contract for general iPad use. As you point out, cell access not needed to fly Mavic and iPad GPS is used for some functions. But are there any advantages to flying with internet connection (Ipad tethered to iPhone) over Ipad cell model (but no internet connection)? Still trying to decide if I should buy cell or WiFi. Thanks

As you point out, cell access not needed to fly Mavic and iPad GPS is used for some functions. But are there any advantages to flying with internet connection (Ipad tethered to iPhone) over Ipad cell model (but no internet connection)?
A Wi-Fi only iPad tethered to an iPhone will not allow you to use Follow Me or reset the home point to your current location if that's what you're asking.

Reactions: Nszasz
A Wi-Fi only iPad tethered to an iPhone will not allow you to use Follow Me or reset the home point to your current location if that's what you're asking.
Thanks for reply. I’ll try my question again. Assuming Internet connection via tethering to both an iPad with cellular capabilities and an iPad with Wi-Fi only. Does the cellular capable iPad have and advantage over the WiFi iPad? If I get an iPad with cellular support, I won’t be getting a carrier contract. Instead, I’ll tether to my iPhone. Any advantage to do so, compared to tethering to a WiFi only unit?

Tethering will allow you to use functions that require an Internet connection. Since all mobile devices have Wi-Fi and only Wi-Fi is needed to connect to a Wi-Fi network (which is what you're using when tethering), the fact that your device is also cellular enabled won't be beneficial.

As I noted above, the cellular capable iPad models do have an advantage over Wi-Fi iPad models. They contain a GPS receiver.

Reactions: Nszasz
I think this answers the question of whether the GPS module in the ipad is essential for the follow me or revised home point, and thus I purchased the Cellular model.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett