DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad mini shade hood without separate mount

Jaysjob

Reactions
Hi! I wonder if anyone has had any luck finding an IPad mini shade/hood that can be used without a separate mount on the controller? I really like the way the mini fits into the controller but getting a bad glade sometimes. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysjob
Hi! I wonder if anyone has had any luck finding an IPad mini shade/hood that can be used without a separate mount on the controller? I really like the way the mini fits into the controller but getting a bad glade sometimes. Thanks!

I used the DJI sun hood with my iPad mini in the controller grips. Worked ok, really depended on where the sun was in the sky.

Since moved on to a hoodman with a mavmount for sunny days, although bulky and more of a pain to put on its great. I can shove my face into it and have a perfect view with very little glare.

I did an antenna mod and now the DJI one doesn't fit- if interested let me know!

I used the DJI sun hood with my iPad mini in the controller grips. Worked ok, really depended on where the sun was in the sky.

Since moved on to a hoodman with a mavmount for sunny days, although bulky and more of a pain to put on its great. I can shove my face into it and have a perfect view with very little glare.

I did an antenna mod and now the DJI one doesn't fit- if interested let me know!

Does it block the screen on the transmitter?

Does it block the screen on the transmitter?

Which one?

The mavmount kinda blocks the remote screen when using the iPad mini on the middle mount point of the grip (if that makes sense). But you can still see it, just tilt the remote.

If you use the bottom mount on the iPad mini grip arm then yes it blocks the remote screen. The hoodman doesn't really come into play on either setup on blocking the remote's screed.

The DJI shade does not at cover the remote's screen at all.

I have learned that I barely use the screen on the remote, so even though I initially never wanted to block it I don't really mind anymore. All the info is also displayed on the iPad.

Which one?

The mavmount kinda blocks the remote screen when using the iPad mini on the middle mount point of the grip (if that makes sense). But you can still see it, just tilt the remote.

If you use the bottom mount on the iPad mini grip arm then yes it blocks the remote screen. The hoodman doesn't really come into play on either setup on blocking the remote's screed.

The DJI shade does not at cover the remote's screen at all.

I have learned that I barely use the screen on the remote, so even though I initially never wanted to block it I don't really mind anymore. All the info is also displayed on the iPad.
Yeah my p3 never had a screen on the transmitter and all relevant info is on the ipads screen anyway. I never really found myself wondering how many rpm's the mavic is doing. I suppose id be ok with not seeing it.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
did u ever make one out of cardboard? if so, how did it turn out?

Yes. I made a few versions with the hope of going to a more solid medium like foam core board once I had a design I liked. But they were all just kind of ok.

The thumbs area to operate the joysticks keep getting in the way. The entire controller needs to be encompassed which also makes it tricky for attachment purposes. Making it longer so it would block more sun just got to a ridiculous length. And it has to bend toward you to block on the iPad but then you can't see the actual controller display.

I think a curved design might work instead of sharp corners for the top.

I had to put the project on hold while my life interrupted but I'm still working on it.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

70e3d19473938a3873a90ea760301e01.jpg

15e42a5f0be854e80f8f1fafb42baa10.jpg

Fashioned up one with a plastic GARAGE SALE sign I bought from Lowes, some duct tape and a $1 can of spray paint. Total cost was about $3.00.

You're right about the joysticks but i didnt find it too difficult to work around it.

Gonna try it for awhile to see how well it works. Initial flight wasnt bad.

70e3d19473938a3873a90ea760301e01.jpg

15e42a5f0be854e80f8f1fafb42baa10.jpg

Fashioned up one with a plastic GARAGE SALE sign I bought from Lowes, some duct tape and a $1 can of spray paint. Total cost was about $3.00.

You're right about the joysticks but i didnt find it too difficult to work around it.

Gonna try it for awhile to see how well it works. Initial flight wasnt bad.

Cool! The ones I made encompassed the controller too. It wasn't too bad but still didn't work very well.

I did however get an anti-glare screen protector from Walmart. $5.31 not tax as they shipped it to my local store in two days.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/36977600

It's just slightly darker than no protector but the glare is cut WAY down. It's been working well and didn't add any weight or weirdness to the controller. It's a good solution for me at the moment.

I bought a pgytech cover. It goes on in a minute and folds reasonably compact. I use it with a mavmount. But I think there is enough adjustment in the elastic straps for it to sit on the RC arms. The worry would be if it will stay securely in place on the uneven arm and ipad surfaces. Modifications to even out with either cut-outs or spacers may be possible.

I like my setup as the mini is closer to my face, but unless you have your face in the hood, you will still get glare from the sky behind you. That will happen with any shade cover. I've found the best solution is to stand in the shade of a tree. But if that isn't an option I put the cover on.

The other challenge is accessing the screen through the elastic slot can be tricky as I have larger, not very flexible hands. So in flight app changes aren't as easy as they could be.

https://www.riseabove.com.au/premium-tablet-sun-hood-kit-for-dji-drones-white

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000