DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPad Mini vs Smart Controller

Availability of 3rd party apps. SC is Android based, iPad gets apps from Apple store.

1000 nits of brightness on the screen as well as not having to mess with setup of the tablet holder and cables. With the SC, you just turn it on and fly. For some, that is worth it, for others it isn't. I personally love my SC, but I fly almost every day.
Ditto! Brighter display and quicker setup. Love the SC.

I added a FeelWorld 2200 nit monitor as well. All camera feed goes to the monitor while the SC screen displays normal telemetry. It works really well for me.

Last edited:
All in one unit, no cable to connect or to break the socket off while trying to fit. Plus no overheating problems that are sometimes associated with the iPads. And size for storage. But just think, only having two things with you to be able to fly... nice. When thinking of the cost, remember if you take into account the cost of your original controller plus cables to attach to the iPad Mini and the cost of that iPad, then add those up and compare it to the cost of the smart controller. That is the real way to compare. then sell all your other parts and you will be much closers to just a small additional charge for using the SC after you have sold your other stuff, you once used. Nice long battery too with the SC.

Reactions: Gindra
If you fly in the cold of winter and the heat of summer, the SC will keep you up and running. The iPads blackout(shutdown) in less than extreme temperatures per my experience. The SC is well worth the investment.

Ditto! Brighter display and quicker setup. Love the SC.

I added a FeelWorld 2200 nit monitor as well. All camera feed goes to the monitor while the SC screen displays normal telemetry. It works really well for me.
I've got the same monitor and absolutely love it. I use it most of the time as well. The only problem with it is that it takes away one of the advantages of the SC over using an iPad....no wires or bracket to setup.

1000 nits is great, but 2200 is awesome! No other setup can really get you the same brightness so easily.

I've been looking at such a setup as well, but it all keeps adding up. Sure would be nice to have that 7 inch 2,200NIT screen though!

Smart Controller 100%. You are not subject to the same battery/performance issue as an iPad Mini, the screen is much brighter, and it will handle much colder temperatures without leaving you high and dry. Aside from that it's just a joy to use - it is much more solid than the basic controller and fits large hands very well. No more fiddling with cables and dongles. The custom fuction buttons are very useful and well positioned ergonomically. I have zero complaints after almost a year of use - hasn't caused me a single issue and I will never go back to a 'standard' controller so long as I have the option.

Reactions: Greenflash
As post #5 suggests, sell your regular controller and iPad Mini (if you already have it), and the cost of the SC drops significantly. The SC also has a brighter screen than an iPad and the all-in-one form factor is super convenient. Extreme temperature performance is also a plus, and the build quality is fantastic.

So I was wondering what the advantage is to using the Smart Controller over using an iPad Mini? I have the iPad...not anxious to drop $750 if the advantage is not really there.

I appreciate any advice on this.
convenience only. SC has a screen you see way better, it is not falling apart, easier to carry - but - it does not do anything that a combination of the stock radio with an ipad would not do.
essentially instead of spending 2-3 minutes to setup hardware for the flight you are ready in 15 sec.

convenience only. SC has a screen you see way better, it is not falling apart, easier to carry - but - it does not do anything that a combination of the stock radio with an ipad would not do.
essentially instead of spending 2-3 minutes to setup hardware for the flight you are ready in 15 sec.

It's more than just convenience. It will not shut off in cold temperatures like an iPad mini will - that is not convenience related IMHO, it's operational. It also has HDMI out and other features that are not possible with the stock remote. No doubt it is more convenient, but many of the advantages are operational/safety related.

Reactions: Greenflash
It's more than just convenience. It will not shut off in cold temperatures like an iPad mini will - that is not convenience related IMHO, it's operational. It also has HDMI out and other features that are not possible with the stock remote. No doubt it is more convenient, but many of the advantages are operational/safety related.
very true, i used hdmi output with my fatshark goggles several times now - it works amazingly well.
but asking almost $800 for the SC now is an overkill, IMHO.

So, I think everything was hit, like 3 times over. Brighter, compact meaning all in one, can expand. Has built in memory, as well SD card slot on remote, HDMI out if you want to add another screen, longer range (debatable), great in cold temps.. have not tried hot.. Super awesome unit hands down.. make me want to fly more.

As post #5 suggests, sell your regular controller and iPad Mini (if you already have it), and the cost of the SC drops significantly. The SC also has a brighter screen than an iPad and the all-in-one form factor is super convenient. Extreme temperature performance is also a plus, and the build quality is fantastic.

That assumes the iPad Mini is 100% dedicated to the Mavic otherwise that doesn't work since the smart controller cannot realistically be used as a standard tablet. I do like the idea of the smart controller but even putting aside the high price the screen is too small for me, I was using a 5.7in phone which I was finding too small and now I've changed to a 10in tablet I'm finding it much more useful.

Reactions: Tom25
In reality it’s an android tablet. You can load play store and use it for video editing and more. But, yes it’s not an iPad screen... that’s about the only good point of said item, it’s large screen, well IOS is awesome with the go 4 app, that too. Other wise, it’s technically a failure point, as is the cable it attaches to.
But, some love a big screen and a hood, I get it! To each is own! Enjoy!

All in one unit, no cable to connect or to break the socket off while trying to fit. Plus no overheating problems that are sometimes associated with the iPads. And size for storage. But just think, only having two things with you to be able to fly... nice. When thinking of the cost, remember if you take into account the cost of your original controller plus cables to attach to the iPad Mini and the cost of that iPad, then add those up and compare it to the cost of the smart controller. That is the real way to compare. then sell all your other parts and you will be much closers to just a small additional charge for using the SC after you have sold your other stuff, you once used. Nice long battery too with the SC.
Everyone mentions the cost for extra's in making the iPad Mini work.. the only things I needed was a cheap bracket for less than $10, plus the iPad as less than half the price of the Smart Controller. More importantly, the iPad mini does everything my iPhone does, but better. As for flying in direct sunlight, move to a shaded area to fly it from. Problem solved, and way more comfortable. But heck, all solutions work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo