DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Mini--without an adapter

dsd317

Reactions
If you need a slightly larger display, then using the ipad mini will work without having to purchase an adapter.

Reactions: Mahoosiv
If you need a slightly larger display, then using the ipad mini will work without having to purchase an adapter.

Thanks for sharing - was going to order one of the custom adaptors for my mini, but I think I'll wait and try this approach first!

Question for the experts here though - if my iPad mini is wifi-only, are there certain features I'd miss out on? I can tether it to my phone for internet, but are there any features that are dependent upon device GPS that I'd lose vs. just using my phone?

If you tether, you should be fine, since you will not be connecting to the Mavic or RC via wifi. You will be able to see the map and data, as well as the live streaming.

Reactions: wgharper
Well yeah that's giving the iPad data. My iPad is wifi only because I can tether and who wants to pay an extra fee for iPad data? Works well all the time. Even internationally (with a plan) tethering is a great choice.

Well yeah that's giving the iPad data. My iPad is wifi only because I can tether and who wants to pay an extra fee for iPad data? Works well all the time. Even internationally (with a plan) tethering is a great choice.

That's what I was saying, you would not lose any functionality by using a wifi only iPad and tethering to phone. The only time you could not do that would be if you were using the Mavic on WIFI mode, which would not allow you to tether to your phone.

if my iPad mini is wifi-only, are there certain features I'd miss out on?
You won't be able to use the Follow Me feature or reset the home point to your current location after takeoff.

If you have an iPhone, you can simply Wi-Fi connect to your iPhone as a hotspot.

Connecting to a hotspot will not share the GPS. It'll work for Internet access though.

Pretty slick...I like it. I'll be flying mine indoors exclusively for my work, so I won't need maps.

Looks cool but it looks like if you use any more force the gripping handles of the RC will snap. I've got a tablet holder 3D printed out and gonna mount it using the upside down method.

You do not need the data plan you just need a data capable Ipad mini, as you only need the GPS which the data capable Ipads have (wifi does not). Sell you wifi only and then buy a data capable ipad.

I popped the little mini slider out so it was not in the way. It is plastic and fits into a small track on the left mobile device clamp and holds the cable in place when connected to your phone. It will clip back in quite easily. My mini iPad 4 fits perfectly and sits right against the controller like a phone would. It is a tight fit but does not feel like it is stressing the mobile device clamps, just go slow. My iPad does not have a data plan, I tether it to my iPhone and don't seem to be having any data issues. I am connecting the iPad to the controller with a lightning/USB cable.
Pretty happy with the set up. I hold the controller with the palms of my hands against the mobile device clamps, 2 fingers under the iPad, one under the controller, and the index finger and thumb operate the joy sticks and buttons. Very comfortable, controls are all in easy reach.

IMG_0219.JPGIMG_0220.JPG

I popped the little mini slider out so it was not in the way. It is plastic and fits into a small track on the left mobile device clamp and holds the cable in place when connected to your phone. It will clip back in quite easily. My mini iPad 4 fits perfectly and sits right against the controller like a phone would. It is a tight fit but does not feel like it is stressing the mobile device clamps, just go slow. My iPad does not have a data plan, I tether it to my iPhone and don't seem to be having any data issues. I am connecting the iPad to the controller with a lightning/USB cable.
Pretty happy with the set up. I hold the controller with the palms of my hands against the mobile device clamps, 2 fingers under the iPad, one under the controller, and the index finger and thumb operate the joy sticks and buttons. Very comfortable, controls are all in easy reach.

View attachment 927View attachment 928
I second what he says. Works great

Z

Last edited:
Had anyone tried this with a mini? Looks like it could work, might be a bit tight but would be nice that it wouldn't dangle

Z

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580