DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Mini

Calhoun Ranger

Reactions
I know there are lots of threads on this, but if you don't mind, I'd kind of like a summation. I am sick and tired of my Note 4 Android giving bad video distortion. I am considering a dedicated iPad Mini.
Questions:
1. Mini 2 or Mini 4? Pros and cons of each?
2. Can I get the iPad set up and operate everything totally without SIM card? Cell service?
3. Mavic RC cable is short and barely accommodates my Note4. Will I need a longer cord?

Thanks! and I apologize for any duplication of threads.

• As far as you're concerned, at this point in time, no difference between Mini 2 and 4. 4 is a little faster, but won't be noticeable in DJI Go at this point.

• If you get a WiFi only model (2 or 4), your tablet won't have GPS (won't be able to use modes or functions that require a device with GPS). You can use the cellular version without a SIM and get the benefit of GPS.

• Yes, even if you decide to use the controller's arms to hold the tablet (which I found extremely uncomfortable, and opted for a tablet mount). You can use any Lightning cable with the iPads, since you use the bottom USB port instead of the side port (which must be unplugged).

Reactions: krnlueck
While both will be able to run DJI GO, the iPad Mini 4 is faster, thinner, lighter, and has a brighter screen.

Can I get the iPad set up and operate everything totally without SIM card? Cell service?
If you buy a Wi-Fi only version, you will not be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or reset the home point to your current location after taking off. Without cell service, you won't be able to use features that require an Internet connection (like downloading the maps in real-time). You could connect the iPad Mini to a mobile phone via a hotspot to share the Internet connection (if needed).

Mavic RC cable is short and barely accommodates my Note4. Will I need a longer cord?
A 10-12" Lightning cable like this one would be ideal. You can find some other good options here.

Last edited:
•You can use any Lightning cable with the iPads, since you use the bottom USB port instead of the side port (which must be unplugged).

According to Rick at Drone Valley, it's true that a second intelligent device installed into the RC's side port will interfere with use of the bottom USB port, However, a power bank will not interfere and can be used to continuously charge the RC while i flight.

1. I would really recommend the min4. I have both, and the mini2 overheats easily, and it turns into a slide show instead of video. Mini4 works flawlessly.

people already answered 2 and 3.

I've been using the Mini 4 for about 2 months now and I love it. Very clear video. Go into setting on the iPad and make sure your brightness is on max for the best experience.

I have been using the Mini 2 cellular without a SIM card for over a year now with no lag or glitches. It is a dedicated monitor so doesn't have loads of apps on it. My only gripe (although by no means a deal breaker) is the display isn't as bright as some other devices. If the Mini 4 is brighter and all else is equal, then go for that. I find having built in GPS a definite plus so would recommend the cellular version if you can afford it.

Thank you all so very much for your inputs!
Additional questions . . .
Many Apple products I have seen will not allow you to get past the "No SIM installed" screen without a SIM installed. Are the iPad minis different in this?
In the future, I hope to be able to feed the live video out; is the Mini 4 strong enough to handle that task, and what extra tools would I need to do that?

ALL cellular apple devices will show a no sim card error on first start up, BUT you can close that window and everything works OK. That message only shows up on power up.
I am not sure what you mean by "feed live video out" If you mean to a larger display, you can cast the display to an apple TV hooked to whatever display you want. if you are talking about feeding live over the internet, that will depend on connection speeds.

I know there are lots of threads on this, but if you don't mind, I'd kind of like a summation. I am sick and tired of my Note 4 Android giving bad video distortion. I am considering a dedicated iPad Mini.
Questions:
1. Mini 2 or Mini 4? Pros and cons of each?
2. Can I get the iPad set up and operate everything totally without SIM card? Cell service?
3. Mavic RC cable is short and barely accommodates my Note4. Will I need a longer cord?

Thanks! and I apologize for any duplication of threads.
I have the Samsung tab s3 it works and connects perfectly to the dji app. It's 9.7 inch display may be to large. But this tablet has the best display and supports 4k HDR.

Many Apple products I have seen will not allow you to get past the "No SIM installed" screen without a SIM installed. Are the iPad minis different in this?

The Mini 4 is one of the devices that includes an Apple SIM if you get the cellular version. Hubby got that one because he travels a lot and with the Apple SIM he can buy just the amount of data that he needs in over 180 countries. No need for a subscription and no need to change the SIM, according to Apple.

For the details: Apple SIM - Wikipedia

According to Rick at Drone Valley, it's true that a second intelligent device installed into the RC's side port will interfere with use of the bottom USB port, However, a power bank will not interfere and can be used to continuously charge the RC while i flight.

That is correct, but you can't use the original DJI micro USB cable (the one that connects to the device in the arms of the controller).

If the controller sees any of the original DJI USB cables (they're slightly modified micro USB on one end, to Lightning, micro USB or USB-C on the other) then it won't connect with the bottom port.

Any other USB-A to micro USB-A from power bank to remote (or even Mavic battery powerbank adapter) will work.

How important is the model number? For example, I see a lot of variations on model numbers like MK9G2LL/A.
Also, I have searched both eBay and Amazon, and the Mini 4 is hard to find. What is the best place to find a Mini 4 WiFi + Cellular? Anyone know any good reliable sources? For those that use this device, how important do you find the storage to be? I am thinking minimum of 32GB.

A little bit more guidance, please, because I am not familiar with iPad and Apple products. I see a lot of iPad Mini 4s advertised as WiFi+Cellular, and many others as WiFi+4G. For now, based on other feedback, I just want to ensure I have the GPS function on the iPad Mini 4. Also, I have one bad experience purchasing something advertised as "GSM Unlocked"; it is my Android Note4 on which I am not ever able to update the Android system.

So, I don't want unlocked. AT&T would be fine, just don't want to make a $600 dollar mistake.

WiFi+Cellular and WiFi+4G refer to the same thing in this instance. You must get one that is not WiFi only, since it lacks the GPS module.

A little bit more guidance, please, because I am not familiar with iPad and Apple products. I see a lot of iPad Mini 4s advertised as WiFi+Cellular, and many others as WiFi+4G. For now, based on other feedback, I just want to ensure I have the GPS function on the iPad Mini 4.

Here is my detailed post: Advantages of buying the iPad Mini 4 directly from Apple

Also, I have one bad experience purchasing something advertised as "GSM Unlocked"; it is my Android Note4 on which I am not ever able to update the Android system.

So, I don't want unlocked. AT&T would be fine, just don't want to make a $600 dollar mistake.

AT&T will require you to add a line and pay for data when all you want is "I just want to ensure I have the GPS function on the iPad Mini 4." Better to get the Mini 4 with the Apple SIM and then buy data only if ever you need it in over 180 countries. No need for any subscriptions and no need to change the SIM, according to Apple.

Be sure to also get Apple Care, which for 2 years covers not only the hardware and software but also accidents (drops, spills, etc.).

The saga continues . . .
Based on the tremendous feedback from many of you, I have purchased the Mini 4 Wifi+Cellular directly from Apple. It was available only in the 128GB storage level. The price was $566. So, I took a very big gulp and hit the BUY button.
Thank you all for your assistance!

The saga continues . . .
Based on the tremendous feedback from many of you, I have purchased the Mini 4 Wifi+Cellular directly from Apple. It was available only in the 128GB storage level. The price was $566. So, I took a very big gulp and hit the BUY button.
Thank you all for your assistance!

Please report back what're your impressions. Just curious, have you ever considered Crystal sky 5.5? Thanks.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters