DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Pro 10.5inch and Mavic Pro...

I typically use my iphone 8+, which works perfectly and is just about the biggest screen that you can fit into the controller. But when I am flying with friends/family and want them to see what I see, I use my 10.5" iPad Pro. It obviously doesn't fit into the controller, but works perfectly if you use the charging USB cable to connect into the back of the controller. The only thing I've noticed is that the cable that is plugged into the side of the controller has to be unplugged in order for the aircraft to connect to the iPad. Other than that, it makes for a fantastic way for multiple people to see what the pilot sees.

I've been using that model and it works great.

You'll probably want to buy a 12-inch Lightning cable so you don't have a bunch of cable hanging in the way.

Reactions: Akoztha
I've been using that model and it works great.

You'll probably want to buy a 12-inch Lightning cable so you don't have a bunch of cable hanging in the way.
Thanks! I'm trying to figure out all that I'll need to build the best setup. Do you use a particular controller mount for the iPad that you would recommend? Also, does the size of the 10.5 display ever seem to be too big...in the way?

For the cost of the Apple 10.5" iPad Pro I would purchase the high brightness Crystal Sky with the 7.8 inch screen or even the Ultra Brightness 2000 nit Crystal Sky. Perfectly view able in bright direct sunlight. The Apple 10.5" iPad Pro is 600 nits in brightness measurement and pales in comparison.

If you want a washed out larger image on a device that is not specifically made for DJI drones then thats your preference. The Crystal Sky Monitors now allow one to run other Android based applications like Lichti as well by sideloading them.

For the cost of the Apple 10.5" iPad Pro I would purchase the high brightness Crystal Sky with the 7.8 inch screen or even the Ultra Brightness 2000 nit Crystal Sky. Perfectly view able in bright direct sunlight. The Apple 10.5" iPad Pro is 600 nits in brightness measurement and pales in comparison.

If you want a washed out larger image on a device that is not specifically made for DJI drones then thats your preference. The Crystal Sky Monitors now allow one to run other Android based applications like Lichti as well by sideloading them.
I have never had any issue viewing my Ipad while flying. I was looking at the crystal sky but could not pull the trigger on something that can only be used for flying DJI. I also saw to many issues on other forums with the crystal sky freezing/ crashing. Though, I can say the same for ipads/phones also. If aerial photography was paying my bills than I guess I might have thought about the crystal sky differently. Since for me its a hobby I wanted to invest my money on a device with more than one purpose. (DJI states that the GO app is Optimized to run on Ipad/iPhone products)

Thanks! I'm trying to figure out all that I'll need to build the best setup. Do you use a particular controller mount for the iPad that you would recommend? Also, does the size of the 10.5 display ever seem to be too big...in the way?
I'm old enough that I appreciate having the bigger display, and the weight of the iPad isn't enough to make it burdensome, especially if you use a neck lanyard. Some people are obsessive about being able to see the screen on the controller, but all of that info is duplicated in the DJI Go app, so I don't mind it being blocked. If that's a big concern, you can look at the LifThor iPad mount.

I use this mount: https://www.amazon.com/SKYREAT-Acce...1516130089&sr=8-1&keywords=skyreat+ipad+mavic

Some people swear by the MavMount, which does look great. But it's expensive. The main reason I prefer the above mount is that it folds flat for storage in my bag.

I also use this sun shade: https://www.amazon.com/PGYTECH-Cont...8&qid=1516130193&sr=1-1&keywords=pgytech+l220

The L220 is the size you want for an iPad Pro 10.5-inch.

Spending $700-$850 for a display dedicated just to flying your drone is a tall order for most people. It's fine if you're wealthy with money to burn, or you're making your living from drone flying.

But for most people, at least an iPad Pro is a good multi-purpose device. And with even a cheap sunshade the 600 nits is more than enough brightness. It isn't "washed out" at all.

I have never had any issue viewing my Ipad while flying. I was looking at the crystal sky but could not pull the trigger on something that can only be used for flying DJI. I also saw to many issues on other forums with the crystal sky freezing/ crashing. Though, I can say the same for ipads/phones also. If aerial photography was paying my bills than I guess I might have thought about the crystal sky differently. Since for me its a hobby I wanted to invest my money on a device with more than one purpose. (DJI states that the GO app is Optimized to run on Ipad/iPhone products)

I had some problems with Android so I went to an IPAD Air 2 and it works perfectly with the 9.7 inch display

I have my ipad pro 10.5 with a mavmount and love it. as other have said get the 12 in cable and it will avoid the excess cable.

I sometimes use my 10.5 ipad too. I have the same mount mr salty linked, Mine came with a lanyard that clips to the mount so the remote control / ipad assembly can just hang around my neck. Works perfect.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11