DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPad Pro 11” vs Mini 5

Which one for Mavic 2 Pro?

• Total voters

Eldrvarya

Reactions
Looking to upgrade from the iPhone X. I like the SC, but 3rd party apps still aren’t where they need to be. So, if money wasn’t an option, the iPad Mini 5 or the 11” iPad Pro? I like both, just not sure which would be the better choice. Mini is compact and sticks with the compact design of the Mavic 2. Pro is more powerful with bigger screen, but will it end up seeming too big when I use it? I’d be mounting it to the RC, not an external tripod. Thanks for the advice.

I travel a lot. I like the iPad (I have a Mini 4). It attaches to the RC without need of a 3rd party mount (I have a mount, but ever use it). The Mini 4 fits into my Zadii hard case with the Mavic 2P, RC, 2 extra batts, 5-way simultaneous charger, sun shade, spare props, 6-pack ND filter kit, extra SD cards, and all cables. I can even fit in a folding landing pad, but it stretches the case a bit much.

A larger screen would be nice, but I'd rather not sacrifice compactness and portability.

The thing that would kill it for me would be the weight, not the dimensions. At some point, the 3rd party tablet mounts aren't going to support it. But it looks like the iPad Pro 11" isn't so bad -- it's the 12.9" that I would be worried about:

The lightest:
  • iPad Mini, either 0.66-.068 pound (300-308 grams), wifi only, or wifi + cellular

The middle:
  • iPad Air 2 (older model that I have): 0.96 pound , 437g
  • iPad Air (current): 1-1.02 lb, 456-464g
  • iPad Pro 11" (current): 1.03 lb, 468g

Heavy weight class:
  • iPad Pro 12.9" (current, wifi and/or cellular): ~1.4lb
If you're interested in screen hoods (and I highly recommend this), you might want to see what's available for the various tablets (outside dimensions).

There's another iPad model out on the Apple site that I didn't look into.

Chris

Not sure if you'd consider it a plus or minus, but the 11" pro takes a USB-C connector.

Mini 5.
I got an iPad 6th gen and found it too bulky.
It is now my son's iPad - lucky duck.

The iPad mini 5 is all you need. I like it better than my SC. It barely fits in the controller arms, but it makes it. That being said I still use my iPhone XS Max 90% of the time.

Reactions: pmshop

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme