DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad Pro 11" for the Mavic... Too big?

jeffk813

Reactions
When I first got my Phantom 3 Advanced a few years ago, I learned quickly that a phone just wasn't going to cut it for me. While I could see it fine (at that time) it wasn't helping me get a good view for photography / videography purposes. I decided to move up to an iPad. This fit in the holder and worked really well, though it was a little top-heavy. I eventually upgraded to a newer iPad Mini 4, which though smaller, was still pretty good for viewing the downlink imagery.

Then I got older. I had LASIK surgery in 2013 so I could ditch my glasses, and I now have 20/15 vision for distance. however as the doctor said would happen, as I get farther past 40, my up-close vision is getting to the point where I now need cheaters to read fine print up close.

With the new Mavics I recently got (the Mavic 2 pro and the Mavic Mini) I've been re-evaluating the iPad mini and I decided to upgrade it to a new iPad Pro 11" which I did a few days ago. I absolutely love the new tablet, and it's powerful enough and capable enough to do some on-tablet photo and video editing along with the newly added ability to manage a file structure and allow transfer of files to and from the tablet to an external drive. My only thought is that it might be TOO big. Currently I'm using an el-cheapo Skyreat mount into which it fits (barely) and seems to hold securely for the time being, but I may switch that out for a better mount soon. I worry that the added weight of the bigger tablet will loosen the quasi-ball mount over time. The only other concern is that for the small-ish Mavic controller, it's a lot more top-heavy than the iPad mini was. The Phantom controller had more bulk and weight to it so the full sized iPad worked on that, but this seems a little more sketchy.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I always fly with a neck strap (even when I fly regular R/C) but I wondered how many others were flying with a big tablet and what your thoughts on this were.

When I first got my Phantom 3 Advanced a few years ago, I learned quickly that a phone just wasn't going to cut it for me. While I could see it fine (at that time) it wasn't helping me get a good view for photography / videography purposes. I decided to move up to an iPad. This fit in the holder and worked really well, though it was a little top-heavy. I eventually upgraded to a newer iPad Mini 4, which though smaller, was still pretty good for viewing the downlink imagery.

Then I got older. I had LASIK surgery in 2013 so I could ditch my glasses, and I now have 20/15 vision for distance. however as the doctor said would happen, as I get farther past 40, my up-close vision is getting to the point where I now need cheaters to read fine print up close.

With the new Mavics I recently got (the Mavic 2 pro and the Mavic Mini) I've been re-evaluating the iPad mini and I decided to upgrade it to a new iPad Pro 11" which I did a few days ago. I absolutely love the new tablet, and it's powerful enough and capable enough to do some on-tablet photo and video editing along with the newly added ability to manage a file structure and allow transfer of files to and from the tablet to an external drive. My only thought is that it might be TOO big. Currently I'm using an el-cheapo Skyreat mount into which it fits (barely) and seems to hold securely for the time being, but I may switch that out for a better mount soon. I worry that the added weight of the bigger tablet will loosen the quasi-ball mount over time. The only other concern is that for the small-ish Mavic controller, it's a lot more top-heavy than the iPad mini was. The Phantom controller had more bulk and weight to it so the full sized iPad worked on that, but this seems a little more sketchy.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I always fly with a neck strap (even when I fly regular R/C) but I wondered how many others were flying with a big tablet and what your thoughts on this were.
have a look on the Thors Drone World web site they have some great mounts and support harnessing for holding i pads

Reactions: jeffk813
Get a mount with a hole to fit a neck strap, make sure the hole is in a place that will balance things out.
Takes the strain of holding it away.

I’ve flown exclusively with an iPad Pro 11” for the last 6 months or so. I love it! Bright screen, big viewable area and all the power you mentioned in our original post. Definitely not too big. Just grab a mount that makes it sturdy and comfortable enough for you and enjoy.

Something else you might try is flying from a seated position. When I head out, I take a comfy, folding lawn chair with me. I fold it out, have a seat and the controller, mount and iPad all rest nicely in my lap while I fly. Mine even has a foot rest I can elevate. Way more comfortable than when I fly coach. [emoji1]

Clear skies!

I have 2 flights with a new iPad Pro 11 that I jus bought today and I love it. Doesn’t feel heavy and I feel is the perfect size.

It was nice using the iPad Pro 12.9" in a "training" mode:
Screenshot 2019-12-14 at 10.08.11.jpg
We could both see the drone and both see the Mavic Air, shifting gaze when we needed to.

As with all iOS and Android devices (except perhaps the SC) the brightness is an issue. The iPad is in the shade, pointing away from the sun.

Okay I'm amazed (in a good way). After numerous recommendation both here and elsewhere, I decided to get myself a Lifthor Sif. They just released a new version compatible with the Mavic Mini. This one unit should do well for both my Mavic 2 Pro and my Mini so it was a slam dunk. I ordered it over the weekend. It shipped from Trondheim, Norway on Monday, and was delivered here in Ohio today (Wednesday)!!!!! Talk about fast shipping!

I'm thoroughly pleased with the mount and can't wait to get out and fly with it. It is definitely top-heavy with the iPad Pro but I fly with a lanyard anyway so it should be just fine.

Included in the box was a note saying that I had been upgraded to the soon-to-be-released Anniversary Limited Edition. :) It's a bit beefier than usual and has an additional red safety bracket to hold the controller in more securely.

Here are some pics...
lifthor.JPG

lifthor2.JPG

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio