DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad vs Samsun Tab A vs? What is too big?

WolfSpring

Reactions
I know a ton of people have asked this and there is a ton of posts on this, but what I can't find an answer to is what is too big? I've been flying a mini with my Galaxy S7 Edge and my two biggest problems is size(being able to indentify what i'm looking at) and charging from the controller. But I have ordered the Mavic Air 2 and am looking for something with a better picture. I HATE Apple with a passion, specifically anything that uses itunes, but after reading up the normal 32Gb Ipad is one of the best tablets to use for the price when flying with DJI, but looking at my daughters Ipad this thing is massive, I haven't tried it out yet(cable issue), but I'm going to try it out without flying and without any kind of mount just to see if I like the screen in the sun. I've also been looking at the 8 inch Tab A, but the chart that everyone references says that it is dimmer than my S7 and I haven't found a lot of info of how it does in sunlight and does it charge from the controller as well? I have a budget of $300 and am leaning to the Ipad, but I just want to know if anyone has any input about the size being worth it for casual flying on the beach. I want to film my family kayaking, paddleboarding and snorkeling and see if I can spot some fish, which with the S7 I can barely identify my family and can't see in the water. That said if I go with the smaller Tab A will the size be able to see that either? I have no issue getting another Ipad if that is what is the best, I won't be dealing with it much outside of flying.

I can't find an answer to is what is too big?
I HATE Apple with a passion, specifically anything that uses itunes, but after reading up the normal 32Gb Ipad is one of the best tablets to use for the price when flying with DJI
The ideal size is a matter of personal choice but many flyers go for the middle ground and fly with an 8" tablet.
That gives them good viewing area without being too cumbersome or heavy.
If you would rather not go with Apple, there are plenty of good Android tablets available.

Reactions: WolfSpring
The Ipad does good on battery better than my samsung, but it's also bigger. It sometimes decides not to charge when it assumes it doesn't need to, and may save the rc battery. It just drains the samsung when the screen is on. I've improved the battery life during standby :)
The Ipad does better than I thought it would on an inside comparison, the samsung looked brighter, but when I took it outside I was actually surprised that it did as well as it did with retina.
The Ipad is irritating for the most part and cumbersome to get around in. Apples Macintosh used to beat the snot out of early versions of Windows.
Apples are higher priced than Androids, and mostly for people who have no idea how to operate machinery. Most people don't even remember their Apple ID password for the AppStore.
Apparently with a jailbreak, the ipad will dual boot into Android (ARM processor) using checkra1n. Some talk about the exploit maybe not working with iOS/padOS 13.4.1?
But for flying the drone it gives me 2K on the Ipad but only 1080 on the samsung.
Some Tab As that I've looked at are only 720 screens. Won't matter much when you get far away since it'll drop down to 720, but having the 2K capability when it can be used is nice.

Reactions: WolfSpring
Thank you both, my hatred for Apple is based on my experience of them. We own several Iphones and Ipads, I am the only one with a samsung in my family of 5. I just played with my daughters Ipad in direct sunlight and love this thing, not a fan of the bulkiness, but considering my options I may just go with this and use my S7 when I need smaller.

Apple had tight connections with other vendors in the market in order to control their offerings to the point that some never complain about how it never needs rebooting.

I just played with my daughters Ipad in direct sunlight and love this thing, not a fan of the bulkiness
Unless you pay for a special high brightness screen, no phone or tablet gives good results in bright sunlight (not even iPads).
Compare the brightness ratings in this table:

If you do go for an iPad, they make iPad minis that are a handy 8" size.

Unless you pay for a special high brightness screen, no phone or tablet gives good results in bright sunlight (not even iPads).
Compare the brightness ratings in this table:

If you do go for an iPad, they make iPad minis that are a handy 8" size.

We were standing in pretty bright sunlight and it looked pretty good. For some stupid reason the 8" size is way more than the 10. I'm leaning back to the Tab A 8 inch right now for the expanded memory and GPS function, and half the price tag.

I can say that my Samsung struggles with the flight record. Maybe this is a problem with the app and/or Android. But the iPad goes along just smooth as can be.

The ideal size is a matter of personal choice but many flyers go for the middle ground and fly with an 8" tablet.
That gives them good viewing area without being too cumbersome or heavy.
If you would rather not go with Apple, there are plenty of good Android tablets available.
I just ordered the ipad mini (256 gig) and only use Mac computers...but my phone is an android because of how Apple likes to control things. Just curious why you do not like apple tablets? Thanks

Hi there, I'm using an old galaxy tab A sm-t550, the 9.7 inch model from 2016 I believe. It is a little bigger than I'd like but works fine so far. I have video caching turned off as to not push the CPU too much. I have the brightness turned most of the way up and it is decent, especially on semi cloudy days. However, I did just order a sunshade from Amazon so hopefully that makes it easier to see although it will be even bigger and unwieldy, but it sure beats looking a tiny phone screen to fly. Oh, and I'll add I'm using the USB 3.0 cable that came with my drone to connect the tablet to the remote via the controller's rear USB plug. I've read that using a non 3.0 cable can cause video lag and glitchiness.

I just ordered the ipad mini (256 gig) and only use Mac computers...but my phone is an android because of how Apple likes to control things. Just curious why you do not like apple tablets? Thanks
Same reason as you, it's what I'm used to and because there are Android options that work at least as well,

Reactions: Km5er
Thank you all for the input. I went for the 8 inch Tab A mainly off of price and the ability to put in an SD card. I don't see a lot of recording to my tablet from my mini or MA2, but maybe my tellos. I did like the iPad, but couldn't justify the price tag for 32G for only a little bit more brightness and I wouldn't be using it outside of flying for much at all and now that I have the tab A and I've compared it with my daughters iPad I very much prefer the size of the 8 inch and I can always use my daughters iPad if I really need bigger for something.

Reactions: Km5er
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair