DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ipad

theevis a specific version that i need or every ipad 4 mini is good for mavic?
There are two key differences -- the available storage space and Wi-Fi only or cellular.

The smallest available iPad Minis will have plenty of storage space if you're only going to use it for flying your Mavic. If you plan on installing a bunch of other apps and/or are going to be using apps that you know store lots of data, then you should consider buying an iPad Mini that has more storage space.

The cellular iPad Minis contain a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver is active even if you don't activate the cellular service. With GPS, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off (which can be helpful if you move away from the home point after taking off). If you don't plan to use either of these features, then a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini would be an okay choice.

I started with a mini 2, and thanks to a tip I got here I used my new mini 4 for the first time yesterday. BIG DIFFERENCE!. Between brightness and processor speed I had zero glitches. Admittedly, my 2 was loaded with music apps and other non flying programs, but the 4 will be a dedicated Mavic screen. I also like the screen size better than the larger ones, and wrapped in an Otterbox my aftermarket clamp fits snugly. If you get the opportunity, go for the 4. Worth the upgrade.

Jake

I'm quoting U.S. prices here, but I imagine the pricing structure is similar around the world.

If you're buying new, the regular 9.7-inch iPad (not the iPad Pro) is only $30 more than the iPad Mini 4 for the same amount of storage (128GB), but the processor will be a generation newer (A8 for the Mini, A9 for the iPad). ($429 for the iPad, $399 for the Mini 4.)

The Mini 4 is only available with 128GB of storage. But if you're going to use it only for flying and can do with the entry-level storage on the iPad (32GB), it's $70 cheaper than the Mini ($329 for the iPad, $399 for the Mini).

If you need/want cellular/GPS, that adds $130 in the U.S.

There are two key differences -- the available storage space and Wi-Fi only or cellular.

The smallest available iPad Minis will have plenty of storage space if you're only going to use it for flying your Mavic. If you plan on installing a bunch of other apps and/or are going to be using apps that you know store lots of data, then you should consider buying an iPad Mini that has more storage space.

The cellular iPad Minis contain a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver is active even if you don't activate the cellular service. With GPS, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off (which can be helpful if you move away from the home point after taking off). If you don't plan to use either of these features, then a Wi-Fi only iPad Mini would be an okay choice.

If I use my iPhone as a hotspot, then all I’d need is a iPad mini with WiFi ?

If I use my iPhone as a hotspot, then all I’d need is a iPad mini with WiFi ?
You can only share the Internet connection with a hotspot (not GPS data).

You could connect a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like one of these) to a Wi-Fi only mobile device to add GPS.

This post should help you decide what's best for you ;)

Reactions: MQuinn
I would not recommend an iPad min2 of any version. Especially if you fly in warm climates. The mini 2 barely is serviceable and unusable when it is hot outside. Do yourself a favor and get a mini 4

What storage are we talking about?
The one for DJI GO4 data, right?

What storage are we talking about?
I was referring the storage on the Apple device. If you have more storage available, you can do things like cache more video, store more photos/video, and install more apps. The amount of storage space you need depends on what you plan to do with the Apple device.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje