DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 13 Pro Max

jay2020

Reactions
I just ordered the iPhone 13 Pro Max and was wondering if anyone has this phone yet? If so, has anyone tried it with the Mavic Mini 2 or similar UAS? I was debating between a larger phone, such as the iPhone 13 Pro Max, or an iPad mini. I went with the iPhone as it serves two purposes and I believe the screen is 6.7" should be decent for flying the Mavic Mini 2 and beyond (hope to test part 107 sooner than later and get a larger UAS). I am new to the forum but have gained some valuable information and appreciate any input on this. I hope the standard phone holder on the controller with fit the 13 Pro Max and the software won't be an issue...thank you.

Stay safe!
Jay

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I fly with an iPad mini 4 wedged into the phone holders of my DJI controller. It's a tight'ish fit, but it works great. The iPad mini 5 is exactly the same dimensions as the iPad mini 4. The new iPad mini 6 is not quite as tall (long direction) as the iPad mini 4 & 5, so it should still fit within the holders of a DJI controller. However, the iPad mini 6 is very slightly thicker than the mini 4 & 5 and the mini 6 has flat side edges, not tapered edges (like the mini 4 & 5). Therefore, the iPad mini 6 might be a snugger fit within the jaws of the DJI holders. Too snug to fit? That seems doubtful, but I'd want to try a mini 6 in the holders of my controller before purchasing a mini 6.

One thing for sure, the iPad mini 4 & 5 are a PERFECT fit within the holders of the controller for my Mavic Pro Platinum. It's as if DJI designed the controller specifically to hold an iPad mini!

No way I'd switch to using any size of iPhone after having flown for years with an iPad mini as my view screen. It's perfect for me. Sometimes I need to find a shady spot to fly from so I can see the screen better but, for the most part, the iPad mini is the cat's pajamas.

Mark

Last edited:
Reactions: rp6 and jay2020
I fly with an iPad mini 4 wedged into the phone holders of my DJI controller. It's a tight'ish fit, but it works great. The iPad mini 5 is exactly the same dimensions as the iPad mini 4. The new iPad mini 6 is not quite as tall (long direction) as the iPad mini 4 & 5, so it should still fit within the holders of a DJI controller. However, the iPad mini 6 is very slightly thicker than the mini 4 & 5 and the mini 6 has flat side edges, not tapered edges (like the mini 4 & 5). Therefore, the iPad mini 6 might be a snugger fit within the jaws of the DJI holders. Too snug to fit? That seems doubtful, but I'd want to try a mini 6 in the holders of my controller before purchasing a mini 6.

One thing for sure, the iPad mini 4 & 5 are a PERFECT fit within the holders of the controller for my Mavic Pro Platinum. It's as if DJI designed the controller specifically to hold an iPad mini!

No way I'd switch to using any size of iPhone after having flowing for years with an iPad mini as my view screen. It's perfect for me. Sometimes I need to find a shady spot to fly from so I can see the screen better but, for the most part, the iPad mini is the cat's pajamas.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I figured the iPad would be awesome but the size for travel and added expense wasn’t worth it for me right now. I would consider upgrading to an iPad in the future though.

Reactions: dsrtrdr7

No way I'd switch to using any size of iPhone after having flown for years with an iPad mini as my view screen. It's perfect for me. Sometimes I need to find a shady spot to fly from so I can see the screen better but, for the most part, the iPad mini is the cat's pajamas.

Mark
thx for the info!
is your mini connected to cell phone service?

Reactions: jay2020 and Tel
thx for the info!
is your mini connected to cell phone service?

My iPad mini has a cellular modem and, for a long time, I had it on my cell plan. But as I flew less often, I decided to take the mini off of my cell plan and I just turn on hotspot on my iPhone and connect the iPad mini to the iPhone via WiFi. It saves me $10/month. Which isn't much until you call it $120 per year. :)

Mark

I just ordered the iPhone 13 Pro Max and was wondering if anyone has this phone yet? If so, has anyone tried it with the Mavic Mini 2 or similar UAS? I was debating between a larger phone, such as the iPhone 13 Pro Max, or an iPad mini. I went with the iPhone as it serves two purposes and I believe the screen is 6.7" should be decent for flying the Mavic Mini 2 and beyond (hope to test part 107 sooner than later and get a larger UAS). I am new to the forum but have gained some valuable information and appreciate any input on this. I hope the standard phone holder on the controller with fit the 13 Pro Max and the software won't be an issue...thank you.

Stay safe!
Jay
Apple doesn’t start shipping the 13 Pro Max until the end of September/early October. I just ordered yesterday and delivery is first week in October. I’m hoping the new phone will not suffer the dimming screen issue that my 12 pro max has. The 13 Pro Max has 1000 nits max brightness (typical); 1200 nits max brightness (HDR) … crossing my fingers in anticipation!

Mark
I use to use the iPad mini but since I started using the Tripltek tablet, there's no going back. Now I don't have to find a shade and hope to see the screen.

Stay safe!
Jay
I fly with an iPhone 12 Pro Max. It is the same size as the 13 Pro Max. The standard phone holder works fine, I recommend getting a hood.

Reactions: jay2020
I use to use the iPad mini but since I started using the Tripltek tablet, there's no going back. Now I don't have to find a shade and hope to see the screen.
Agree on the Mini 4 brightness.I bought a barely used Crystal Sky 7.9" a couple of years ago and love the brightness.The Tripletek is said to be similar.

I ordered the iPhone 13 Pro, I don't need the Max. I really wanted the LIDAR with the camera

It doesn't ship before the 24th, so...

But every new iPhone comes with a new OS.
I actually didn’t know that it doesn’t ship until the 24th. I just ordered it online and it said it would ship on the 24th so I just thought that was the shipping date. I just happened to be looking for a bigger phone and noticed the 13 so I got it, thought people had them already haha. That’s what happens when you have kids and work 60 hours a week - out of the loop!

I've had a 13 ProMax for around four days and have been using it to fly my Air2s with the DJI Fly app. The app itself is solid on the new model and is without issues. The screen on the 13 ProMax is appreciably brighter, however my 12 ProMax screen is more than fine, so I'll continue to use it full time as a monitor/controller with the Air2s. I have a Smart Controller, however I'm wary of using it, largely because of what I have read in forums. The iPhone 13 and the standard DJI Remote Controller is a perfect combination IMHO.

Safe flying.

Last edited:
I’ve been using a Ipad mini4 with DJI Go4 and Mavic Pro for years, and never had a problem. I recently got a Mini2 and the FLY app seems to be very laggy on the IPad mini 4 and I often get the CPU overloaded message as well. I always close all other apps so the Fly App is the only one running.
Anyone else seeing this?

My iPad mini has a cellular modem and, for a long time, I had it on my cell plan. But as I flew less often, I decided to take the mini off of my cell plan and I just turn on hotspot on my iPhone and connect the iPad mini to the iPhone via WiFi. It saves me $10/month. Which isn't much until you call it $120 per year. :)

Mark
I use the smart controller, and hot spot on my iPhone 12.

Triplek tablet user here also.
The person who is going to use the new iphone 13 pro is not goint to be happy when that 1000 nit or whatever screen starts
going dark after a few minutes of use when the phone heats up.
Used to use an older iphone, worked for a while .
i have the tripltek pro and use it with my mavic air 2,perfect setup.

Triplek tablet user here also.
The person who is going to use the new iphone 13 pro is not goint to be happy when that 1000 nit or whatever screen starts
going dark after a few minutes of use when the phone heats up.
Used to use an older iphone, worked for a while .
i have the tripltek pro and use it with my mavic air 2,perfect setup.
FYI, here's a happy person who is currently actually using the iPhone 13 ProMax with the controller and has done so for more almost a week. Never saw a screen going dark using my iPhone 12 ProMax and I'm sure not seeing it now on my iPhone 13 ProMax.

Reactions: B52-D and jay2020
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots