DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 6s plus battery from 75% to 0 & switch off in 10 mins arrrr

Lui

Reactions
First proper flights with my new mavic yesterday & quick question on my iPhone 6s Plus battery went from 75% to 0 & switch off phone within 10 mins of flight any ideas why of unbelievably quick draining of phone battery ???
Very disappointed with this action any ideas ???

Reactions: Matisse13
First proper flights with my new mavic yesterday & quick question on my iPhone 6s Plus battery went from 75% to 0 & switch off phone within 10 mins of flight any ideas why of unbelievably quick draining of phone battery ???
Very disappointed with this action any ideas ???

What was the temperature?

There is actually a known defect for some iPhone 6s batteries. Apple even has a replacement program in place. Maybe your phone is affected by this issue. Have you noticed it losing power suddenly before?

Reactions: Kilrah
There is actually a known defect for some iPhone 6s batteries. Apple even has a replacement program in place. Maybe your phone is affected by this issue. Have you noticed it losing power suddenly before?

I have even when using the phone normally will call apple tomorrow to sort out battery I think [emoji108]

About 6 degrees outside today

If you mean 6F then it's the temperature. Even a replacement battery won't solve this. This has been an issue with many iPhones going back to the 4S, they do not like cold. Apple doesn't see it as an issue though, it's a safety feature.

If you mean 6F then it's the temperature. Even a replacement battery won't solve this. This has been an issue with many iPhones going back to the 4S, they do not like cold. Apple doesn't see it as an issue though, it's a safety feature.

The iPhone 6S has a lower operating range of 0degC so getting goose to it. My phone shuts off if used for a prolonged period at or below freezing.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I had this problem which I only noticed when I got my mavic. Had the battery replaced free of charge using the above link and haven't had any problems since!

Had the same problem which is due to cold temperature. However I also noticed that the Mavic drains the iphone battery quite heavily in normal use. Its likely the iphone battery up will not last the controller and three flights (with three batteries). My solution was to use the Apple iPhone 6 case that houses the extra battery as this both protects and warms the phone whilst also providing a full extra charge through the Apple lightening connection. It also still fits into the controller arms and helpfully makes the phone home button easily accessible.
iPhone 6 / 6s Smart Battery Case - Charcoal Grey

Reactions: wirayudha
turn off your WiFi during flights... I have a 6S+ and WiFi during a flight would eat 12% of my battery with every flight... I turned off the WiFi and my battery consumption dropped to 4% battery use per 20 min flight.

There is definitely a problem with the Mavic Go4 app and battery consumption on the iPhone. I've had this happen twice now in the last three flights. I'm still trying to narrow down the cause. It's not temperature related IMO as today was warmer and I've never experienced my phone losing charge in any other related temperature activities. I'm using an iPhone 6 not the 6S and I've also checked to make sure it isn't an Apple call back problem with the phone. On both occasions the phone rapidly loses (perceived charge) until it dies. However when you plug it in later it shows half charge. Today I was also using the iPhone battery case as well, so that's two complete charges down in two battery flights on the Mavic I should have kept track of the phone consumption during the two flights which I'll do next time. On both occasions when the phone died I had been trialling the active mode 'point of interest'. I've got to try without this to see it's the cause. Fortunately RTH works from the controller as it's hard to judge direction and bearing without the camera when it's a dot in the distance. On neither occasion did I switch off wi fi, which another forum member has said may be the cause. So more flights later to try and pin down the reason. On the plus side, the Mavic is just awesome to fly and once you've got the hang of the camera/video/gimbal/controls settings it's a fantastic camera and fun aircraft to have by your side. Today was a good example. Driving about and had the Mavic with me (as it's so portable). Sun came out near a beautiful village and rolling hills so just stopped and put it in the air. One battery taking some scenic tripod shots and the other in sport mode having fun and trying to home my manouvering skills. It just brightens my day!! Would be really interested to hear from anyone else experiencing the battery problems on iPhone 6.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

If you microwave your phone before each flight you'll get a quick charge and the phone will be warm enough that the battery won't experience the rapid discharge in cold temperatures problem.

Edit: I kid, please don't try this. But if you do, record. For science ;)

Reactions: temptation
There are numerous posts regarding problems with the battery on the iPhone 6 series. I had my iPhone for 2+ years, just long enough to have my AppleCare warranty expire by 6 weeks or so. I started having problems with the battery a few weeks before receiving my Mavic. It would read something like 58%, then suddenly drop to 8%. I'd immediately plug it in and it would bounce back to something like 38% within a minute or less.

I got the Mavic and the same thing was happening on an iPhone with 100% charge....10-12 minutes into the flight, the battery would have a significant drop. I didn't want to chance a Mavic flyaway so I set up an appointment at the Apple Store Genius Bar and watched the Tech troubleshoot the issue. She first ran a diagnostic and saw that my battery was within the normal operating state which meant it did not require a battery change per the diagnostic. She then asked a series of questions including if I noticed that the phone felt warm. I didn't because I had a case on it. She then physically examined the phone and notice some slight swelling in the upper center area where the battery is located. She also noted that the screen would wash out when you pressed a finger in the area of the battery as compared to other areas. All said, she felt that the battery was defective and may have started to swell.

The fix was to give me a remanufactured replacement iPhone 6 for the cost of a battery swap....so for $79 I received a replacement iPhone with a new battery, case and screen. We had to go through the process of restoring my backup on the new phone, but when I left the store I had my apps back in place and was good to go. I've had the phone for about three weeks and the faulty readings/battery issues have not returned. I typical 15-20 minute flight uses about 20-25% of the iPhone juice.

So my advice is to get the iPhone checkd. I think they can do some of the diagnostics over the phone, but it was worth the trip to the Apple Store to get it fixed. At first, I thought this may have been linked to an iOS 10.2, but the new phone is working flawlessly on all apps. I also bought an iPad Mini (well worth the cost) as a dedicated unit for the Mavic and it is running the same version of iOS without problems.

Hope this adds t the thread.

My iPhone 6S plus was made in the exact timeframe where the non-plus 6S models get free battery replacements. I have not seen between 30 and 0 percent battery in a while. My phone dies suddenly too. They really should open up the program for plus too, but alas, we pay the battery replacement cost

My iPhone 6S plus was made in the exact timeframe where the non-plus 6S models get free battery replacements. I have not seen between 30 and 0 percent battery in a while. My phone dies suddenly too. They really should open up the program for plus too, but alas, we pay the battery replacement cost

You should not! When I took mine in there was a girl next to me where the exact same thing happened to her 6s+ They replaced the battery for free. Apple have already admitted that the issue is more wide-spread than they initially thought (numerous tech sites) even though they have not stated so on the replacement program web-page. Make an appointment, take it in and argue your case, they will replace it for free :)

You can do what I did. Get a hand warmer and put it on the bottom of the iPhone. It works and keeps the phone reasonably warm. You have to remember that the screen is on ALL of the time during a flight and this kills the battery. I was flying in -8 C and had not problems at all.

You can do what I did. Get a hand warmer and put it on the bottom of the iPhone. It works and keeps the phone reasonably warm. You have to remember that the screen is on ALL of the time during a flight and this kills the battery. I was flying in -8 C and had not problems at all.

I also use a small strip of duct tape to attach a hand warmer pad to my iPhone 6 I have no battery issues even at -20

Resolved my IPhone 6 battery fault. It was the phone, not the Mavic App. Interesting that after using the Mavic and experiencing a false dead phone shutdown when flying, the same thing started happening to the phone in normal use. It may have been coincidence but it might also be that the power hungry Mavic app crashes already weak or faulty batteries. Either way I took the plunge and upgrade to an Iphone 7 Plus which has been awesome for flying and also holds its charge easily. The slightly larger screen is perfect. Like everyone else has been saying, if you experience this problem check for a faulty battery in the iphone first.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost