DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iPhone 7+ Screen Dims During flight

SmileyGC

Reactions
I have a a Mavic 2 Zoom and use my iPhone 7+ (connected to the controller) to run DJI Go 4 app.
I am increasing seeing my phone dim within a minute or two into my flights. Yes the phone gets hot and I believe that is the reason for the screen dimming.
However, I don't understand why the phone is getting so overheated.
It was fine for the first few months of flying, but recently has started dimming. it does the same when using my Osmo Mobile 2. So it is a phone issue.
Now, I do live in Thailand and the temperature this morning was 32 celsius about 90+ F.
I have backed up the phone and then restoring it, to clear any SW issues, but that hasn't cured the problem.

Has anyone else experienced (& cured) this overheating and subsequent dimming of iPhone.

The dim screen can't be seen in daylight...

I don't want to fit a sun screen as that will just increase the overheating, I want to cure the overheating. The phone is used without a case.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Youtube MrSmileyGC

Last edited:
Do you have any other apps open on the phone when you fly? If so try closing them.

Have you gone into the phone settings and disabled screen dimming?

Just a couple of thoughts.
Long time apple user, but fly with a CS now.

Reactions: Former Member
Do you have any other apps open on the phone when you fly? If so try closing them.

Many

Many Thanks Thomas

I did disable auto screen dimming - I noticed, once the screen has dimmed it is at about 50% brightness - if I manually try to set the brightness I notice the slider has no affect once above the 50% mark.
Once the phone has called down, it works fine.

I checked for other apps in background, Facebook, radio app, bluetooth and WiFi were running. I will try again without them.

MrSmileyGC

I believe this is because when you insert the phone into the handles it covers the light sensor on the phone. I had the same issue with my iPhone 6s and my Mavic air controller. The sensor is to the left of the earpiece that you listen to while holding the phone to your head. Now I just **** the phone so that little sensor isn't covered by the controller handle. Hope that made sense.

I have a a Mavic 2 Zoom and use my iPhone 7+ (connected to the controller) to run DJI Go 4 app.
I am increasing seeing my phone dim within a minute or two into my flights. Yes the phone gets hot and I believe that is the reason for the screen dimming.
However, I don't understand why the phone is getting so overheated.
It was fine for the first few months of flying, but recently has started dimming. it does the same when using my Osmo Mobile 2. So it is a phone issue.
Now, I do live in Thailand and the temperature this morning was 32 celsius about 90+ F.
I have backed up the phone and then restoring it, to clear any SW issues, but that hasn't cured the problem.

Has anyone else experienced (& cured) this overheating and subsequent dimming of iPhone.

The dim screen can't be seen in daylight...

I don't want to fit a sun screen as that will just increase the overheating, I want to cure the overheating. The phone is used without a case.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Youtube MrSmileyGC
My Samsung Galaxy S9+ does the same, despite auto dimming or brightness control turned off and screen set at 100%. Yes it dims to about 50% and it's hard to see the screen. I have not figured out how to solve this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S