DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Iphone running hot, going dark

One thing I've found that helps, aside from putting phone in the fridge/cooler before using it, is this cell phone cooling fan I found on Amazon. It works surprisingly well. The downside is that it needs to be connected to power, USB-C so I keep a small battery bank on my pocket while flying. This one also connects to your phone via Bluetooth which gives more control over the fan speed. It clamps into the back of the phone and the arms operate independently, so it fits into the Mavic 2 controller well. I assume this could also fit into the Mavic Air 2 style controller as well.

There are more affordable ones on Amazon as well, but I can't speak to those as I haven't tried them myself.

Stay cool everyone ?

Reactions: hiflyer201
After a very few minutes my phone goes dark, useless. Phone is almost too hot to touch.
There seems to be a lot of reports of this lately...
  • New 'more powerful' phones
  • Bigger more power-hungry screens
  • Faster more power-hungry CPU/GPU's
  • The ubiquitous iOS 'upgrades'
  • And also, lately, Apple may even be accessing your phone in the background, looking through your photos to determine if you're a pedophile :D o_O

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: halifax and Jam0ne
Using iphone 11 to monitor my Mini2.
After a very few minutes my phone goes dark, useless. Phone is almost too hot to touch.
I feel this has to do with the latest software upgrade.
Has anyone else had this happen?
It happens to most phones, Iphone or not. You think, you're buying the best brightest phone for your drone, and it succumbs to heat and the screen dims. This also happens with tablets. Tripltek tablets don't do this. They start at 1200nits and stay at 1200 nits, even in the sun. I don't know about the smart controllers though.

Reactions: Jam0ne and MA2 317
My iphone 11 does this too. It's all about heat. Summer temps and demanding the brightest from your phone heats it up fast. I try to keep it cool immediately prior to flying, even putting it in the freezer for about 10 minutes when I can. It definitely helps.

My iphone 11 does this too. It's all about heat. Summer temps and demanding the brightest from your phone heats it up fast. I try to keep it cool immediately prior to flying, even putting it in the freezer for about 10 minutes when I can. It definitely helps.
This is nuts! There must be some other explanation, because there's no way I'm putting my phone in a freezer before/after/anytime just to fly. I have never seen this behavior using my iPhone 8, and hope that there is some setting in the newer phones (either in the OS or the app) that someone (including DJI) hasn't figured out yet.

Reactions: Jam0ne and umanbean
I have never seen this behavior using my iPhone 8
There's your 'secret' right there ;) It's the 'newer, better' phones that are more prone to overheat and lock up, or downright shut down!

Two things may help:
Set your controller to not charge your screen device whilst flying.
Don’t let the sun fall on your screen. Use a sunshade or hood, or turn away (if you can), and shade it with your body.

Two things may help:
Set your controller to not charge your screen device whilst flying.
Don’t let the sun fall on your screen. Use a sunshade or hood, or turn away (if you can), and shade it with your body.
Don't think you can do that. A note from DJI>..Hello there. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to say that the said phone charging on the said mobile device can not be turned off. The reason why your mobile device ( Tripltek ) is discharging your DJI remote controller. This is because the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you...........not as far as the monitor heating up. Why I went with the Tripltek.

Don't think you can do that. A note from DJI>..Hello there. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to say that the said phone charging on the said mobile device can not be turned off. The reason why your mobile device ( Tripltek ) is discharging your DJI remote controller. This is because the Android mobile device needs on-going 500ma to maintain the USB connection, so there is no option for the Android device to disable the charging mode, it is related to the android system and the communication protocol. This is regulated by the Android Open Accessory ( AOA ). Thank you...........not as far as the monitor heating up. Why I went with the Tripltek.
I'm using a tripltek also. No screen dimming. It was made to get hot or stay cool, either or. It just doesn't dim. I wonder if those 2000 nit Smart Controllers Dim when hot.

Reactions: JP_CACIKE
I never had this happen with ipad 5th gen but then again if its 20c in the uk its a scorcher lol.....where I live east coast its mostly cool and windy probably why ive never had any issues. iPhone though have always had a tendency to run hot .

Using iphone 11 to monitor my Mini2.
I feel this has to do with the latest software upgrade.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Many many threads on this subject. Do a search or look at "similar" threads at bottom of page to see them.

The latest Fly app update is a power hog. Getting worse each time instead of better. Sucks that the iPad mini 4 is now useless on Fly. CPU overload, performance will be affected, is an understatement!
My Moto Z Andriod will no longer run FlyApp for my Mini. Guess time to update the phone.

This is nuts! There must be some other explanation, because there's no way I'm putting my phone in a freezer before/after/anytime just to fly. I have never seen this behavior using my iPhone 8, and hope that there is some setting in the newer phones (either in the OS or the app) that someone (including DJI) hasn't figured out yet.
After happily flying all of last year with my Iphone 11 and my Ipad and now, experiencing what many of us are dealing with this 'dimming issue", I tried using my wife's IPhone 8 today. I flew in 93 degree weather with the sun directly overhead and after 5 minutes in the blazing sun, to my surprise, the IPhone 8 never dimmed. Thank you Stanton for helping out here, I just bought a used IPhone 8.

There is a way to stop the charging for Android devices. This guy made a cable to stop it

I'm glad I haven't updated mine yet. Let's see how long I can go without having to.

Reactions: Jam0ne
I don't know how you can put the phone in a freezer and use it anyway. Wouldn't the screen get all fogged up by humidity condensation, because it's cooler the the outside temp.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61