DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iphone screen goes black during flight, possible disconnect?

GARealtor

Reactions
I'm trying to understand what happened during my flight today & hoping someone can help me. I've had my Mavic 2 Pro for two years and never had this issue. I was at 98 ft, 1.38 min into the flight, my iPhone 7 screen goes black and I was able to use the remote control to bring the drone back to me and hovered at 10 ft for 20 sec. It seemed to reconnect so I finished my flight. Looking at my flight logs on the go4app, I noticed that there were two flights...the first flight of 1.38 min stopped at 98 ft and the next flight log started at 80 ft. My battery was 93% and I had 17 satellites when I had the problem. I've looked at my flight logs and did not see any errors. Can anyone explain what happened and if this happens again, what is the best course of action? I don't want to lose my drone. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Seems that the GO app has restarted by itself for some reasons hence the splitting of the flight log. I have not experienced this myself but if it's just the video feed that is gone but the telemetry is still visible, I will try pressing the RTH button on the controller or manually bring the drone back. Otherwise, I will try killing the GO app and relaunch it. If it still fails, I will turn off the controller to force a real disconnection and trigger the drone to return to the home point by itself.

Reactions: GARealtor
Seems that the GO app has restarted by itself for some reasons hence the splitting of the flight log. I have not experienced this myself but if it's just the video feed that is gone but the telemetry is still visible, I will try pressing the RTH button on the controller or manually bring the drone back. Otherwise, I will try killing the GO app and relaunch it. If it still fails, I will turn off the controller to force a real disconnection and trigger the drone to return to the home point by itself.
Ok. Thanks for your help!

You don't need the app to fly or have GPS lock. You can fly back and RTH if you want to. But most of us just stop and hover in a safe place, then restart the app.

The phone runs on an operating system, and the Go 4 app is... an app. These things crash, unlike the fully dedicated software on a commercial plane/jet.

Usually, when Go 4 crashes on me, I'm left back on the device desktop. If your phone just turned off, it could be the phone just timed out. Was Go 4 running when you turned the phone back on?

Chris

Reactions: GARealtor
You don't need the app to fly or have GPS lock. You can fly back and RTH if you want to. But most of us just stop and hover in a safe place, then restart the app.

The phone runs on an operating system, and the Go 4 app is... an app. These things crash, unlike the fully dedicated software on a commercial plane/jet.

Usually, when Go 4 crashes on me, I'm left back on the device desktop. If your phone just turned off, it could be the phone just timed out. Was Go 4 running when you turned the phone back on?

Chris
Hi Chris. I think the app closed or crashed because I think I had to go back into the app when I turned my phone on because I was at my home screen. It's hard to remember exactly because it made my heart skip a beat. That had never happened before. I'm just trying to learn/understand to avoid any mishaps. It's great to have a forum like this to learn from. Thanks for your input!

You're welcome. It gave a shock the first time it happened, but now it's just an annoyance. Not that it happens often -- I've had it happen maybe 2 or 3 times since I've had the M2P (a couple of years).

But you could literally turn your phone off (as an experiment) to see that the remote still flies the aircraft and the RTH still works. The app is for all the telemetry and changing aircraft settings (and FPV visual), but the remotes all you need to fly.

Chris

Reactions: Camino Ken
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore