DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IPod Touch to feed super bright monitor

RobW01

Reactions
I’ve heard from a DJI dealer that he doesn’t believe either the Crystalsky or Smart Controller will be made compatible with the Fly app, despite what DJI has indicated. This doesn’t leave too many options if you want a super bright screen of reasonable size. But there are a number of battery powered 7 inch monitors out there with screens up to 2200 nits. They aren’t Android but can accept an HDMI feed. I know the latest model iPod Touch (7th gen) can run DJI Go and can output an HDMI signal via its Lightning port, using a converter cable. So, I’m wondering if it could run the Fly app. Anyone know?

I’ve heard from a DJI dealer that he doesn’t believe either the Crystalsky or Smart Controller will be made compatible with the Fly app, despite what DJI has indicated. This doesn’t leave too many options if you want a super bright screen of reasonable size. But there are a number of battery powered 7 inch monitors out there with screens up to 2200 nits. They aren’t Android but can accept an HDMI feed. I know the latest model iPod Touch (7th gen) can run DJI Go and can output an HDMI signal via its Lightning port, using a converter cable. So, I’m wondering if it could run the Fly app. Anyone know?

To be honest the 5.5in screen of the SC is pretty small in the scheme of things, DJI Fly is hard to read, a 8in or 10in 2000 nits unit would be much better.

How are you planning to connect the MA2 or MM remote controller to the Ipod Touch if the lightning port is being used for HDMI output ?

What you need is a tablet/phone with a separate dedicated HDMI output port, which then gives you a usb port to connect to the remote controller, but even this is not guaranteed to work.
There could be video feed latency if the cpu and gpu is not up to the requirements of DJI Fly.

The Dronelink app currently allows you to fly the Mavic Mini using the Crystal Sky, it's just not optimized for free flight and is designed more for autonomous missions.
When the Mavic Air 2 SDK is released by DJI, I'm sure Dronelink will make their app compatible

Last edited:
Reactions: RobW01
To be honest the 5.5in screen of the SC is pretty small in the scheme of things, DJI Fly is hard to read.

How are you planning to connect the MA2 or MM remote controller to the Ipod Touch if the lightning port is being used for HDMI output ?

What you need is a tablet/phone with a separate dedicated HDMI output port, which then gives you a usb port to connect to the remote controller, but even this is not guaranteed to work.
There could be video feed latency if the cpu and gpu is not up to the requirements of DJI Fly.

The Dronelink app currently allows you to fly the Mavic Mini using the Crystal Sky, it's just not optimized for free flight and is designed more for autonomous missions.
When the Mavic Air 2 SDK is released by DJI, I'm sure Dronelink will make their app compatible
To be honest the 5.5in screen of the SC is pretty small in the scheme of things, DJI Fly is hard to read, a 8in or 10in 2000 nits unit would be much better.

Attachments

• E512D690-58AF-4BC3-9243-2B12664690FC.jpeg
    E512D690-58AF-4BC3-9243-2B12664690FC.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 13

I believe the "lightning pass through" is only to allow the Iphone/ Ipod touch to be charged, I don't think you can use it to link to the remote controller for the DJI Fly video feed and telemetry data.

Reactions: RobW01
I believe the "lightning pass through" is only to allow the Iphone/ Ipod touch to be charged, I don't think you can use it to link to the remote controller for the DJI Fly video feed and telemetry data.

That’s correct, the OPs idea will not work.

The Fly app is 64 bit only so it is unlikely that will happen.
Perhaps something like this could work.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the new Samsung Android Note 20. It's listed per my dealers' instruction manual 1,500 nits.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu