DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is 500 meters normal?

My Mavic Mini drops signal before 500 meters. Is that normal?
all depends on where you are flying and at what altitude and how much other traffic is on the wifi frequencies that the drone is using

all depends on where you are flying and at what altitude and how much other traffic is on the wifi frequencies that the drone is using
Thanks for the reply, I have been using in SE Michigan which is mostly flat with lots of cell towers and WIFI. I drove out into the country yesterday and still had the same results. I thought it would be better.

I'm having similar issues. At the beach, it doesn't seem to be a problem as I can get out to about 1,000m but in the residential areas, I lose signal around 150m. Is there any way to "boost" this signal?

I'm having similar issues. At the beach, it doesn't seem to be a problem as I can get out to about 1,000m but in the residential areas, I lose signal around 150m. Is there any way to "boost" this signal?
Wow 1000m sounds more like it. I will try the beach.

How high above yourself are you going? You'll get a better signal at 200m out and 30m high Vs 200m up and 30m out. The bird can't "see down" when it comes to radio

How high above yourself are you going? You'll get a better signal at 200m out and 30m high Vs 200m up and 30m out. The bird can't "see down" when it comes to radio
I have been flying between 30 and 40m. I’m afraid of clipping a tree. That is why I have been flying so high.

That makes senes... I wasn't worried about hitting anything at the beach so I was down between 45-60m max... at home though I've got power lines and tall palms so I was up around 100-120m.

I lost complete signal at 100m straight up because you're effectively in the radio blind spot but at 30-40m height you should be able to go a decent distance. Also remember to aim your antennas up. The radio transmission comes out of the side not the top.

for changing frequency just choose manual and then select a channel that's free

Reactions: Capt KO and TooTall
A Parabolic signal booster. Cheap and effective...
Any recommendations? Also is there any "best practices" as it relates to the position of the receiver antennas? I try playing with them to see if it gets better signal but I can't tell if it does anything productive.

As above have them pointed up much like the control sticks. Your radio is coming out of the long bit.

The cheap parabolic ones on eBay for £5-10 all seem the same and technically they should all be about the same.

Reactions: TooTall
Any recommendations? Also is there any "best practices" as it relates to the position of the receiver antennas? I try playing with them to see if it gets better signal but I can't tell if it does anything productive.
Flat side of stock antennas toward drone... I have no problems with this as high as the drone will go when using RTH landing. Likely the same for aftermarket antennae; point transmitting area to rad drone that is.

Reactions: TooTall
Reactions: Dmascot and TooTall
500m is about 1500ft. I was able to get 2500ft at 200ft before starting to lose signal. Near 400ft got about 3000ft out.

I might get double that with my M2. Maybe more but nowhere near specs.

As above have them pointed up much like the control sticks. Your radio is coming out of the long bit.

The cheap parabolic ones on eBay for £5-10 all seem the same and technically they should all be about the same.
Tried some...sent em back as bad fit on mini remote

Did 1000m = 3280ft over the lake signal strength 100% I just got a little worried and came back, then tried on my street beside the house, 150m I got my first weak signal warning, we have a lot of wi-fi AP points, took MM a bit higher 40m and went another 150m signal strength 100% but still came back as it felt super far...(I'm new to this so small steps)

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess there are going to be numerous threads on the range of the MM, as there have been in the past on other dji drones that dont have the benefit of occusync

to be perfectly honest the size of the MM means that it is going to be very hard to see at any sort of range and the fact that it has wi fi means that the range is perfectly adequate for flying VLOS

unfortunately the range quoted by DJI is not really going to be possible in real world situations but it all depends on where you are flying ,so whos to say that out in countryside, in perfect conditions that it could not be done

really if your bag is flying long distances beyond VLOS, then the MM is not the drone for you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus