DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is anyone using iPad mini 4 with mavic air 2?

J.C.

Reactions
I need your advise here! There is someone on YouTube that posted a video do not fly mavic air 2 with iPad mini 4! He as airplane mode on but he is using screen recording during the flight and is he’s lagging like crazy and almost loosing connection and so on ....he also have to turn off ads-b because it’s worst with this on. I am not sure that ads-b is the problem? I think it is the screen recording the problem. He do not cache the video to the iPad to help. I just bought a iPad mini 4 refurbished from apple and I do not want to return it for nothing. I don’t have my air 2 now ....it’s on is way but I have few days left to send back the iPad mini! Can someone that as use the iPad mini 4 with the air 2 can tell me if you just fly with ads-b activated an screen recording turned of if It handles it or not?

thanks guys!

The iPad Mini 4 has a 5.5 year old processor which first shipped in the iPhone 6. Probably not a great purchase in 2020.

I’ve used the mini4 on the mavic mini and fly app with not one problem.
The processor on the mini4 is fine.
I do not have the MA2 and I’m not in a hurry to get one at this time.
Still in research mode.

I think possibly he is looking for recommendations for an alternative. I'm still using a mini4 with my MP2 without issues. The mini has always been the most recommended tablet as far as I am aware?

I have been using the mini 4 for all my DJI aircraft without issues including the MA2.
Although I have no reason to screen record, but have heard of reports that using screen record along with the fly app places the mini 4 at it’s limitations and sometimes causes lag when using both.

To me it makes perfect sense to use a device you own until you need to upgrade. That is very different than investing money in a ~5 year old device. The Mini 4 will not age well over the next few years.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with my Mini 5. I can screen record while flying with zero issues.

Probably the screen recording, I picked up the Mini 5 when the iPad Pro(2016) gave me a CPU Fully Loaded message while flying and screen recording, and it's processor is the A9X vs the Mini 4's A8. If you want screen recording, you're gonna need more horsepower.

To me it makes perfect sense to use a device you own until you need to upgrade. That is very different than investing money in a ~5 year old device. The Mini 4 will not age well over the next few years.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with my Mini 5. I can screen record while flying with zero issues.

This is my point. The mini 4 lte Apple sells refurbished are $400 when you add tax. That’s a ridiculous price to pay for such an old device in 2020. You could get a brand new latest model iPad WiFi for less.

Reactions: JustAGuy
No knowledge on refurbs. Lots of good used mini4’s out there for well under that 400.00 mark. I just sold one the other day for under 250.00
64gb with cell.

I paid 369$ instead of 529$ Can money... so this is a good difference between a iPad mini 4 and 5. This I why I really need to make sure that the screen recording is the problem and not the iPad mini 4. If I can keep the mini 4 for flying I will save money! Also I don’t screen record?

That is great that some people have had success with the Ipad mini 4 and the Mavic Air 2.
My application crashed without any warnings, and I landed using the controller, running "blind". But I was in visual line of sight, so no problems there in getting back safely.
The only settings I turned off was announcing my presence and letting people know where the controller is running.
No other program was running, it is a 128GB wifi model.
So, I am going to sell it so I can purchase a mini 5.

And I just this morning had the mini5 running the go4 app crash.
MP2 in the air at 4:30 this morning and not just 800 feet out.
The app crashing is not mini4 specific.

No knowledge on refurbs. Lots of good used mini4’s out there for well under that 400.00 mark. I just sold one the other day for under 250.00
64gb with cell.

Op bought it from Appel so it’s considerably more expensive.

Have used my iPad mini 4 to fly a phantom, mavic pro and spark with excellent results.
Am using it with my mini mavic now and can concur... loss of transmission, sustained video transmission lag and multiple system warnings.
I think it might have something to do with the DJI fly app as my iPad 4 is clean updated and only used for flying my drone.
Either that or the Mavic Mini is typical cheap chinese **** with a sinister master plan.

I have both, 4 and 5 w/ cellular. as for me it does seem my 5 w /celluar works better.

I’ve used the mini4 on the mavic mini and fly app with not one problem.
The processor on the mini4 is fine.
I do not have the MA2 and I’m not in a hurry to get one at this time.
Still in research mode.

SAME - I first used a Mini 2 with DJI Fly and the app ripped through the battery, which was not the case with DJI Go4 or the Parrot Anafi app. I recently upgraded to the iPad Mini 4 and I have no issues with my Mavic Mini.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada