DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it better to have aftermarket landing gear?

justinca2013

Reactions
I just recently got my Mavic 2 zoom and got a landing pad because I didn’t want it to get dirt on/in it. But I have been reading where some people after multiple landings have a problem with a rear leg propping up to high. Just wondering if you guys are using aftermarket landing gear or just a landing pad like I have or what is the best solution to this. Might be a dumb question sorry I just now have got a Mavic I’ve always flown my p3p and p4. Thanks!!!

Hi @justinca2013 and welcome to the forum.

I’m the same as you, just using a standard landing pad with no leg extensions. Make sure you flatten the grass down first before placing your pad on the ground.

Other flyers do use leg extensions which help to raise their drone off the ground. We have a few vendors on here that sell them.

Also people hand catch taking off/landing, I’ve not tried that though.?

Here’s some threads on info about leg extensions, might help?

Reactions: Thomas B and ff22
I use the PolarPro folding landing gear on my M2 Zoom. I love them. They get the drone well off the ground and they fold up out of the way so that it fits nicely in my GPC backpack.

I also use the PolarPro folding landing gear. Always stable on the ground, and the drone arms fold without problems of any kind when the landing gear is folded, and it fits in my GoPro case easily. They accommodate my ARC2s in mountings No changes noted in any flight characteristic. I tried several others, but use the PP.

Another vote for the PP folding gear. If your drone ever has to land by itself or accidentally off the pad, they will help to keep that expensive gimbal safer from contacting uneven ground, dirt, rocks, etc..

I just recently got my Mavic 2 zoom and got a landing pad because I didn’t want it to get dirt on/in it. But I have been reading where some people after multiple landings have a problem with a rear leg propping up to high. Just wondering if you guys are using aftermarket landing gear or just a landing pad like I have or what is the best solution to this. Might be a dumb question sorry I just now have got a Mavic I’ve always flown my p3p and p4. Thanks!!!
i hand launch and hand catch my mavic every time now. it is safe and predictable - so far have had no issues at all. so, no need for extra gear of any kind.

I use the PolarPro folding landing gear on my M2 Zoom. I love them. They get the drone well off the ground and they fold up out of the way so that it fits nicely in my GPC backpack.
I just picked one of the various recommendations (yours in this case (g)) but anyone chime in - does the ONE INCH extra height really help that much?

I just picked one of the various recommendations (yours in this case (g)) but anyone chime in - does the ONE INCH extra height really help that much?
Absolutely. Especially in grass or loose soil/gravel landing/TO spots. Also protects from a random area of ground moisture.

Reactions: ff22
Since the AC tail sits almost on the ground without them, I think it does. It does depend on your launch surface though.

if you do not want to hand catch/launch - this is a better option.

but, any extra weight on the model reduces the flight time. i would rather learn how to hand handle it.

i hand launch and hand catch my mavic every time now. it is safe and predictable - so far have had no issues at all. so, no need for extra gear of any kind.

Sounds good but there may be times when you may not be close enough to do that, such as emergency landings, etc. Also, if you fumble with the drone or controller while holding it with one hand, it’s probably going to end badly.
if you do not want to hand catch/launch - this is a better option.

but, any extra weight on the model reduces the flight time. i would rather learn how to hand handle it.
I think flying technique would have a significantly greater influence on flight time than the amount of weight added by using extension legs.

Also, I noticed that my camera lens stays cleaner with less dust and wet grass touching it than before.

And also don’t forget about the cool factor, do you really want others to think you are catching a toy drone vs. landing a high tech sUAS?;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys big help!!! Coming from phantom models which hold everything up already I wasn’t sure. But as far as hand catching goes it doesn’t mess with/hurt the sensors at all? And all when you do hand catch it do you just keep holding down on your left your left joystick to kill the motors like normal? Or do you have to do the double inward emergency shut off? Thanks again just want to make sure I don’t hurt it.

you not going to hurt your drone. it may hurt you a bit if it suddenly decides to give max current to a half of its motors when you catch it - but it is very unlikely and i think may only happen in a case of some failure of the code. usually when you catch it - rpms of motors drop down, and you pull down left stick and motors die. if you try to pull drone up and down or shake it - it may try to engage motors a bit, but, usually it never happens. it takes several tries to get a hold of this, and then as you know what to expect it simply 'works'. if you not sure - wear a jacket with long sleeves first and make sure hold your grip firmly - not crashing plastic firmly, but, handling a medium size dog firmly.

code is done, i think, in the way to recognize blocking down looking sensor as a proximity of the hand. i just fly it 4-5ft in the air toward me, slide hand under the drone keeping it close - not approaching from the bottom up - that may drone to go up to avoid contact - just sliding it under it several inches under it and grabbing it across the body. works fine.

starting it is much easier - when you push the slider or move stick in to start motors - it senses it and as it pulls up slightly - you release it.

chances to get hurt here are lower as mavic uses foldable props and they do not cut skin as much as carbon or hard plastic tri-blades like these ones:

those cut like knives, pretty much, with their ends going at 30K rpm.

you not going to hurt your drone. it may hurt you a bit if it suddenly decides to give max current to a half of its motors when you catch it - but it is very unlikely and i think may only happen in a case of some failure of the code. usually when you catch it - rpms of motors drop down, and you pull down left stick and motors die. if you try to pull drone up and down or shake it - it may try to engage motors a bit, but, usually it never happens. it takes several tries to get a hold of this, and then as you know what to expect it simply 'works'. if you not sure - wear a jacket with long sleeves first and make sure hold your grip firmly - not crashing plastic firmly, but, handling a medium size dog firmly.

code is done, i think, in the way to recognize blocking down looking sensor as a proximity of the hand. i just fly it 4-5ft in the air toward me, slide hand under the drone keeping it close - not approaching from the bottom up - that may drone to go up to avoid contact - just sliding it under it several inches under it and grabbing it across the body. works fine.

starting it is much easier - when you push the slider or move stick in to start motors - it senses it and as it pulls up slightly - you release it.

chances to get hurt here are lower as mavic uses foldable props and they do not cut skin as much as carbon or hard plastic tri-blades like these ones:

those cut like knives, pretty much, with their ends going at 30K rpm.
Having the battle scars from learning hand catching with standard DJI brand props, I recommend a kevlar glove if you hand catch... if it only saves the day once it’s worth it

• Love
Reactions: JRT and Porky
Having the battle scars from learning hand catching with standard DJI brand props, I recommend a kevlar glove if you hand catch... if it only saves the day once it’s worth it
how did you manage to get your hands cut? did you try to grab it from above instead of grabbing its belly? just curious.

I'm thinking about the arris raptor skids....
Had them for my MPP, but only used them with the pontoons. Worked great! When they release them in July for the M2P I’ll be getting them. They are very large for everyday use, though some do. In their video they stamp the on the outside of a backpack due to size.

Had them for my MPP, but only used them with the pontoons. Worked great! When they release them in July for the M2P I’ll be getting them. They are very large for everyday use, though some do. In their video they stamp the on the outside of a backpack due to size.
realistically, when they needed, those extenders, they need to be large. my only concern with them - how fast is it to connect it and how reliable is the connection to the stock legs?

I have never used the extensions. I find a suitable landing spot and land it most of the time. If I am really concerned about landing like on sand etc. I hand catch it which is a simple process.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S