DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is It Illegal?

BillyDrone

Reactions
Is i illegal to edit the file in DJI Mavic Pro to make your drone exceed the limits like altitude, speed etc.

No. Doing so could void your DJI warranty though.

If you don't push outside legal altitudes then doing the mod is perfectly legal.

Obviously it's only illegal when you use that mod to push past legal flight regulations in your country, or other countries you wish to fly in.
Of course some peoples comfort zones on regs are flexible, and to many risk assessment plays a part in going outside blanket rules, still illegal of course and it comes down to having an incident free flight and / or not getting caught.

Speed has nothing to do with any drone rules as far as I'm aware, not sure what other parameters might be adaptable. Changing things like speed in descent might make flight unstable.

Reactions: Galeforce1
If you don't push outside legal altitudes then doing the mod is perfectly legal.

Obviously it's only illegal when you use that mod to push past legal flight regulations in your country, or other countries you wish to fly in.
Of course some peoples comfort zones on regs are flexible, and to many risk assessment plays a part in going outside blanket rules, still illegal of course and it comes down to having an incident free flight and / or not getting caught.

Speed has nothing to do with any drone rules as far as I'm aware, not sure what other parameters might be adaptable. Changing things like speed in descent might make flight unstable.
Thanks.

Just for clarification, there is a maximum speed limitation under the FAA rules, 87 Knots or 100MPH.

There is nothing inherently illegal about "hacking" drones to remove builtin limits.

However, if there is an incident (flying in controlled airspace illegally for instance), and they FAA finds out you did remove the limits, they may use that as intent to violate.

It's your call though.

Ok thanks for your reply
NO LIMIT DRONES offers a mod, in which they modify the main board hardware of the mavic and then send it back to you. Of course its expensive, but you can modify pretty much all the settings after they do the hardware mod.

Just for clarification, there is a maximum speed limitation under the FAA rules, 87 Knots or 100MPH.
Good point on speed. I am newer but why would you need altitude modifications?? Does the drone not climb to the legal limits out of the box? If you are planning on busting regs on altitude yes that is a huge issue. Did I miss something? You had a separate thread about this and you said "I like to fly oh so high". Just curious.

Good point on speed. I am newer but why would you need altitude modifications?? Does the drone not climb to the legal limits out of the box? If you are planning on busting regs on altitude yes that is a huge issue. Did I miss something? You had a separate thread about this and you said "I like to fly oh so high". Just curious.
Think you’re misquoting me! I have a -107 Certificate and always try and fly within the rules! And I haven’t made any posts about flying “Oh so high”!

Think you’re misquoting me! I have a -107 Certificate and always try and fly within the rules! And I haven’t made any posts about flying “Oh so high”!
stealth01 SO SORRY not what I meant. I should have replied to the poster and you are right to assume. I was speaking of your point on speed which is correct. BillyDrone (poster) is who I should have been clear to state was my intended person for the rest. Note to self "think before you post", My point is why does he need to modify altitude limits? BillyDrone did have another thread in which he stated that he like to fly "I like to fly here and there and O so high".

FOR THE RECORD STEALTH01 was not my intended reply except to compliment his comment on speed restrictions. My concern again was that someone is looking to modify a set limit so as to bust altitudes. I may be off on my concern. My apology to Stealth01

I'm going to Dubai next week. I need an altitude mod to fly over the 2,716 foot, Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world. Or I could just use the Elevator. Not sure which yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Emanáku
msinger is correct, but also want to add, if you don't understand the components of a flight controller, the software and it's tons of parameters as with FPV racing drone flight controllers and others (pixhawk, great example, allows you to change the actual program, not just the parameters ), and you modify the wrong parameter, you can potentially be in a world of hurt, not only monetarily, but property and physical damage as well. Just be careful!

I have a Mavic pro alpine special edition. Yes, there are apps out their to modify the software's parameters, but you really need to know what you are doing if you decide to change parameters of the program. could be dangerous. i only modified the switch setting (norm, sport, tripod) to norm, sport, and ATTI mode. i really like the ATTI mode because I'm in control, not the computer as to what happens.

happy and safe flying

Reactions: jon.cutting
Is this mod working on the Mavic Pro 2? I would like to adjust my speed as well...
No Limit Drones Mod? They perform an actual hardware modification allowing you to change almost any modifiable firmware value. The hardware mod even lets you to continue updating firmware on the Mav 2 Pro and Zoom, while still allowing you to change any firmware values you like. The speed would change, but just to the limit of the drone's capabilities. Check there website for more info if that's what your interested in.

msinger is correct, but also want to add, if you don't understand the components of a flight controller, the software and it's tons of parameters as with FPV racing drone flight controllers and others (pixhawk, great example, allows you to change the actual program, not just the parameters ), and you modify the wrong parameter, you can potentially be in a world of hurt, not only monetarily, but property and physical damage as well. Just be careful!

I have a Mavic pro alpine special edition. Yes, there are apps out their to modify the software's parameters, but you really need to know what you are doing if you decide to change parameters of the program. could be dangerous. i only modified the switch setting (norm, sport, tripod) to norm, sport, and ATTI mode. i really like the ATTI mode because I'm in control, not the computer as to what happens.

happy and safe flying
I have been able to trick the DJI Mavic into ATTI mode by using certain software that tricks the drone and the phone into believing it is somewhere, where it is not. It worked, but I didn't like the fact that , if i needed to look at the map, it was in some place in africa, or on some 2000 foot mountain ridge.

cgmaxed. You can modify it to go the 2716', but check Dubai's laws, keep in mind airflow and speeds around the tower, battery life in accent and decent to make sure you can make it back down safely. Just food for thought.

Reactions: Capt KO
Having just done my refresher course for my 107/61 there was one module that amplified the poster's dilemma. I have a tall tower and it is over 400' I need to inspect. How does that work with the 400' limitation? Well as long as you are within 400' of the structure, you can climb to an altitude of 400' over the structure. Of course this is in the US, in Dubai it may be different. Then there are the airspace considerations on top of that. Most times a dilemma like this can be solved by applying for a waiver. If your unsure, apply for a waiver, then the horse is on them not you. I have to get "Special Flight Permits" for manned aircraft all the time. I just did one that went from India to Texas. The reason; needed a conformity check for an airworthiness certificate. BTW, the aircraft went through UAE and stopped at Ras Al Khaimah to pick up a couple of items for another aircraft.

If your unsure, ask you local authorities, then your off the hook. It is kind of what we pay them for.

I've mentioned this before elsewhere that in Canada at least it's illegal to modify a commercial drone with anything . . even add a 3 gram strobe light or FLOATs or whatever . . because Canadian Air Regs (UAV rule) CARs 901.70

Operation of a Modified Remotely Piloted Aircraft System​

901.70 If a declaration has been made under section 901.76 in respect of a model of remotely piloted aircraft system for any operation referred to in subsection 901.69(1), no pilot shall conduct any of those operations using a system of that model if the system has been modified in any way, unless
  • (a) the pilot is able to demonstrate to the Minister that, despite the modification, the system continues to meet the technical requirements set out in Standard 922 — RPAS Safety Assurance applicable to the operations referred to in subsection 901.69(1) for which the declaration was made; and
  • (b) if applicable, the modification was performed according to the instructions of the manufacturer of the part or equipment used to modify the system.
That means the manufacturer must declare the UAV meets Canadian Safety Standards and if anyone else modify's it then they, (the whoever made did or made the MOD) must seek the manufacturer's concurrence that whatever they added or changed on the system still meets the manufacturer's declaration of safety. . or read the summary Here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143