DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it safe to fly near massive metal constructions?

Proffy

Reactions
I wanna film our TV Tower, which build from metal. But after reading some topics, when drones losing flight control near a messive concrete / metal buildings i'm in doubts to do this. Any experience or suggestions highly welcomed! Thanks in advance!

I wanna film our TV Tower, which build from metal. But after reading some topics, when drones losing flight control near a messive concrete / metal buildings i'm in doubts to do this. Any experience or suggestions highly welcomed! Thanks in advance!
Do you want to film the tower, or get close-up shots of the bolts on the tower?
If you are far enough away to film a large part of the tower, (maybe 20-30 feet away) it won't have any effect on your compass.
If you want to get in to within a few feet it will give you compass problems.
If you did fly in close enough to have compass warnings and noticed directional issues, simply backing out would solve the issue.

Do you want to film the tower, or get close-up shots of the bolts on the tower?
If you are far enough away to film a large part of the tower, (maybe 20-30 feet away) it won't have any effect on your compass.
If you want to get in to within a few feet it will give you compass problems.
If you did fly in close enough to have compass warnings and noticed directional issues, simply backing out would solve the issue.

Thanks! I just wanna film 360 fly around. There's no reason to shot the bolts )) Thanks for the info! (y)

Just my experience... 'Please don't bash me on condoning or saying, 'no.''
I work at a facility that has these 2 warnings on BOTH buildings that are 50 feet apart. Not only that,... but there is also a tower that I fly the drone in its proximity.
First negative- I have ONLY flown it 3 (three) times from the depiction. (I am a GREEN HORN in that I've only had my drone for less than a month.) BUT, I have gotten some really good pics/vids, so far, without any problems... except 1 (one) time. It wasn't a major problem, but the 'RTH' (return to home) was going to land it on a building that was about 5 feet away. *** My situation- Have 4 (four) buildings that are only 'roughly' 50 feet apart. Two of those buildings have the warnings and have VERY strong 2 way radio systems in them. Auto Launching, manual take-off, etc, doesn't give me any warnings - (unless I am too close to one of the structures.) Return to Home (RTH) isn't accurate,- even with a high reflective, multi-pattern, launch pad.
Again, this is only my personal experience. (And this is ONLY with launching 3 times from the depicted location.) All 3 times had the same result, but flew "extraordinarily" and captured great pics/vids.
I hope that this helps your out. (Quick experience- I've flown in near proximity to the giant antennae, but only experienced the 'RTH' abnormality. Big metal structures- affects my 'RTH' function. Hope that this helps.
Jay

Attachments

• Work Warning.jpg
    Work Warning.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: Proffy
Just my experience... 'Please don't bash me on condoning or saying, 'no.''
I work at a facility that has these 2 warnings on BOTH buildings that are 50 feet apart. Not only that,... but there is also a tower that I fly the drone in its proximity.
First negative- I have ONLY flown it 3 (three) times from the depiction. (I am a GREEN HORN in that I've only had my drone for less than a month.) BUT, I have gotten some really good pics/vids, so far, without any problems... except 1 (one) time. It wasn't a major problem, but the 'RTH' (return to home) was going to land it on a building that was about 5 feet away. *** My situation- Have 4 (four) buildings that are only 'roughly' 50 feet apart. Two of those buildings have the warnings and have VERY strong 2 way radio systems in them. Auto Launching, manual take-off, etc, doesn't give me any warnings - (unless I am too close to one of the structures.) Return to Home (RTH) isn't accurate,- even with a high reflective, multi-pattern, launch pad.
Again, this is only my personal experience. (And this is ONLY with launching 3 times from the depicted location.) All 3 times had the same result, but flew "extraordinarily" and captured great pics/vids.
I hope that this helps your out. (Quick experience- I've flown in near proximity to the giant antennae, but only experienced the 'RTH' abnormality. Big metal structures- affects my 'RTH' function. Hope that this helps.
Jay
A unique occurrence. Haven’t seen this one
Consider reflashing your equipment.

I have not tested it and do not plan to. I have read several times in different groups that the round dome antennas are the ones that you do not want to fly in front of as they will interfere with your signal. Other than that there should not be a problem. Be extremely aware of guy wires. Have friends that fly the towers all the time with no problems.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22