DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it safe to upgrade firmware now (regarding reports of signal loss and GPS acquisition)???

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
In the last recent week (or two?) I've seen videos from reputable people complaining that after the Mini 2 firmware upgrade V01.04.0000 aircraft and V04.11.0032 remote controller firmware they had much longer than normal times acquiring GPS lock and then losing signal at far less distance than they had before the firmware upgrade. Consequently, I am holding pat with whatever firmware came before this "upgrade".

At some point it makes sense to upgrade firmware, but everything is functioning as it had been before and I'm just afraid to upgrade and get the same issues with no way to roll back the upgrade should the same maladies occur should I upgrade to V01.04.0000 aircraft and V04.11.0032 remote controller firmware.

What do you know, and what does DJI say about these issues. I note that the satellite acquisition issue was also common with the Mavic 3.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: cc_jim and keysol
Your thoughts?
I wouldn't update. Considering there aren't any new features, it's not worth it.
"Ain't broke don't fix it!"
I have seen way too many videos on the issues on mini 2 - conclusion is that it is not worth to update.
Here is a comparison of just how bad the signal of the new firmware in mini 2 is compared to mini 1:

What are the improvements of v1.04.0000?
According to DJI. "Optimized flight safety". Which safety issues?
Why not let you downgrade if something gets wrong? Because the only safety issue was the hability to installl the FCC and NFZ hacks by DH. The new firmware eliminate them.
I see no reason for upgrade.

Last edited:
I wouldn't update. Considering there aren't any new features, it's not worth it.
I have seen way too many videos on the issues on mini 2 - conclusion is that it is not worth to update.
Here is a comparison of just how bad the signal of the new firmware in mini 2 is compared to mini 1:

The test performed in the YouTube video is worthless because the tester flies at 30 metres maximum altitude beyond trees in the close foreground that are 10 to 15 metres tall. At 100 metres downrange, at 30 metres altitude, the signal definitely begins to get killed by those trees. At 300+ metres, when the aircraft presented loss of signal, the foreground foliage becomes a definitve causitive factor. Test #2, along the river/canal, the line of sight is cleaner, until the pilot turns left, puts the trees back into interference position, and than loses signal. Sure, it's a "level playing field", if the game is craps, but it's not a clinically level testing base. I regard the matter as further muddied rather than clarified.

Reactions: Yaros
Hello and Greetings from Norway! I am using a Mini 2 running firmware 01.04.000, remote with firmware 04.11.0032 and FlySafe database version 01.00.01.26. The Fly app (on my iPhone) is version 1.5.10. The whole setup is just as fast and reliable as ever. No delay in acquiring satellites, no broken connection between drone and remote. Everything works just as expected without a hitch. There either must be a bad batch of Min2s out there or perhaps GPS and networsignals are more reliable here in Norway (I don't know).

DroneTech put out a video demonstrating the issue over open country. He is pretty reliable.

But I think, with no new real features I am going to stay put. While I would never hack the firmware, DJI just shows us the length they would go to to protect themselves without regard to the drone owners. I have already mightily wrestled with geofencing and am sick of their control issues.

I am not in a hurry to trade my drones for something else, but I am going to look hard at other options when it is time.

Great video thanks for sharing - we have a couple of Mini 2's in the shop which we fly for fun. We've had them for over a year now and both have original firmware. I'll never upgrade a machine unless there is a safety issue. They are great machines, in fact we use them for pre-production shots to scout areas.

Curious how the new Mini 3 will perform and price.

Stay Safe - Mike

Reactions: stevenws and Yaros
In the last recent week (or two?) I've seen videos from reputable people complaining that after the Mini 2 firmware upgrade V01.04.0000 aircraft and V04.11.0032 remote controller firmware they had much longer than normal times acquiring GPS lock and then losing signal at far less distance than they had before the firmware upgrade. Consequently, I am holding pat with whatever firmware came before this "upgrade".

At some point it makes sense to upgrade firmware, but everything is functioning as it had been before and I'm just afraid to upgrade and get the same issues with no way to roll back the upgrade should the same maladies occur should I upgrade to V01.04.0000 aircraft and V04.11.0032 remote controller firmware.

What do you know, and what does DJI say about these issues. I note that the satellite acquisition issue was also common with the Mavic 3.

Your thoughts?
I've read about GPS acquisition time problems with the M3, but none of my three Mini-2s (or my newly acquired Mini-1 and Mini-SE) have shown any problem at all in this regard.

I always do the updates when Ms Fly tells me to. Updates do sometimes go bad, and I got bitten by the Failure to Climb Mini-2 Malfunction, as a number of people did, but I think doing the updates as soon as they come out is still the right course.

At least...for the Minis. For the more elaborate birds, staying current-minus-one might be prudent, unless the update purports to fix some known problem. But if I had one of the more elaborate birds, I'd probably do the updates as soon as they come out.

YMMV.

MM

Your thoughts?
How is it that DJI is allowed to throw out updated firmware to 'test' it with consumers? The consumer lays out $500... not to buy a working drone, but to be a test pilot for however long DJI wants to play with 'UPDATES'! Seems this whole 'UPDATE THING' by DJI needs looked into? I was ready to purchase a Mini 2 until I start seeing news like this. One other thing - lol ... These Crazy V, Version Numbers are insaine!!

Reactions: Jam0ne
I'm at an inflection point and have a decision to make. I've read good and bad results with V...04 firmware for Mini 2. I didn't update and have V...03. I have an email & phone inquiry into Dronelink (DL) to see I can use my use their software with my current firmware 03 version. I won't take a chance of my Mini 2 becoming a paperweight with V...04.

I also asked Dronelink if the Mini 2, IOS, now out of Beta, will be able to take advantage of all the functions and features of their Growth Package (full feature option) or if the Mini 2 will have limitations as implied in their release notes. But the release notes are unclear and maybe the limitations are only on Air 2S temporarily.

I've had my Part 107 Cert for 2+ years and would like to start a small business in my area. But part of my due diligence is to kick the tires of the Dronelink software on the Mini 2. Maybe I can use it for niche business opportunities in my area.

I don't want to spend big bucks on a new drone just now. If DL is fully functional on V...03, I can put up a website after training and experimenting with DL, which will also help me gauge demand for drone services in my area.

I looked at several market segments available in my area and is almost impossible to gain marketing information on penetration of drone services in these different market segments. I've watched numerous videos on how to start a drone business. I've heard rave reviews from DJI Mini users that they love DL. But I have the M2.

My concern is that DJI is pulling an Apple, who would slow down performance on older models to drive consumers to newer models. With the Mini 3 coming out in 3 flavors in a few weeks, was V...04 put out with some issues to push us to the Mini 3? Ok, I'm being cynical. I'm pretty sure DL is going to tell me I have to go to V..04.

Your thoughts? Has anyone heard anything that DJI is responding to the poor feedback and there might be a fix in the near future? We have beat the subject to death. I'm just looking for any new or more current information. Go ahead and beat me up for perpetuating this question. Just at a decision point. I don't want to have to buy a more expensive drone that definitely will work with DL.

If I purchase another drone it DEFINITELY won't be a dji. They ignore all negative feedback. Issues are just delayed long enough for a new model to come out. Than the same people who complained about the previous model, are dumb enough to buy the new one.

Reactions: Jam0ne and cc_jim
i DO have issues with the New Update v01.04
In open field that i have flown over for a year with zero issues, now after upgrade to 1.04 keep getting "not connected to RC" message.
Whether someone wants v01.03 so they can remove restrictions or other actions on THEIR DRONE is THEIR business,
but v01.04 is CRAP.
Any thought of purchasing any more DJI product by me has now drop to practically ZERO.

I "trusted DJI", hence the reason I "upgraded", now i am currently stuck with a drone with "unpredictable" actions ?
Is DJI going to pay for damages to a person/property if the drone with firmware v01.04 fails and fall out the sky and cause damage/injuries ?

Mini2 #GoingUpForSale

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580