DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is LAANC Authorization always needed for Rec Fliers?

apeel

Reactions
Seems like this question would be fairly basic, but I have tried searching the forums but did not find an answer. Sorry if it is a repeat.

I am using KittyHawk on an iPhone and also at their web site at home planning a trip out west (west of Texas) and see a number interesting and remote areas that have a GREEN LEVEL 0 warning icons. There are no colored grids on the map when I zoom in and when I drop the pin (none nearby either). When you click on the 'GREEN 0' warning icon it simply says:
Let's Fly!
There are no advisories in the area. It's safe to fly.
Note: Be aware of live flights around you

As a newbie, I would assume that this means it is OK to fly recreationally without LAANC authorization (provided I stay VLOS and below 400-ft, of course). Is that correct? Or should I seek authorization through the KittyHawk App anyway (if I have internet connection at the time). I realize it is easy to do but I have heard that that the LAANC system can be known to reject a request (and not be clear about why it is rejecting it) if you request it for an area that does not have any restrictions on it (i.e. if LAANC it does not think it needs authorization, it says 'not authorized' instead of it's OK) Is this correct? Also, if I get out to a site that I previously determined is a "Let's Fly!' zone from the web site, I may not have internet connection and cannot seek authorization via KittyHawk. What do ya'll think? Do I need pre-authorization in these 'Let's Fly!" zones?

Reactions: Gindra
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fara