DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is litchi a safe app to use

Reactions
Hi, I am new to the forum, and have been reading about litchi. I would like to have a better waypoint planner than Go4. However there seems to be a lot of posts both here and on the app download page relating to sudden disconnections, loss of control, or flyaways. Also one post said support was no longer available.
This makes me very wary. I have had a lost phantom as a result of a flyaway and don't want another. So are these stories due to operator error or is the app actually a dangerous app to trust with our valuable drones. I would be using it on an ipad with a standard mavic pro.

Cheers

So are these stories due to operator error or is the app actually a dangerous app to trust with our valuable drones. I would be using it on an ipad with a standard mavic pro.
Litchi has been around a long time and is very reliable (more reliable than quite a few of the people using it).
It's definitely not a dangerous app.
I would guess that the vast majority of negative reports you've run into are a result of user issues.

I have an MPP that I use Litchi only when flying. I have a 77-acre farm that I have waypoints set up so I can let it fly by its self to certain areas to check for deer or other wild animals. I save the missions so I can fly them over & over.

Reactions: TravelingMan67
Thanks everyone. If litchi is set to return home on signal loss, then I assume that if something untoward did happen, turning the controller off and back on should trigger the RTH.
Does that sound like a viable action to take?

Thanks everyone. If litchi is set to return home on signal loss, then I assume that if something untoward did happen, turning the controller off and back on should trigger the RTH.
Does that sound like a viable action to take?
For manual flight, yes, and that setting option is the same as Go4 or the Fly app - RTH, Hover, or Land. It is a specific setting in Litchi however for Manual Flight.

For waypoint missions - where Litchi really shines - there is an option to, ‘Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss’. If set as such, it defaults to manual flight and will do whatever you have set for Lost Signal behavior during manual flight. If the Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss setting is not selected, the mission will continue after signal loss per your instructions. If Smart RTH is enabled (and it’s advised to) mission or not, connected to RC or not, it will initiate RTH if remaining battery is calculated to be just enough to do so. I have found it normally seems to calculate this to allow for about 30% battery on landing.

Reactions: TravelingMan67
For manual flight, yes, and that setting option is the same as Go4 or the Fly app - RTH, Hover, or Land. It is a specific setting in Litchi however for Manual Flight.

For waypoint missions - where Litchi really shines - there is an option to, ‘Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss’. If set as such, it defaults to manual flight and will do whatever you have set for Lost Signal behavior during manual flight. If the Exit Waypoint Mission on Signal Loss setting is not selected, the mission will continue after signal loss per your instructions. If Smart RTH is enabled (and it’s advised to) mission or not, connected to RC or not, it will initiate RTH if remaining battery is calculated to be just enough to do so. I have found it normally seems to calculate this to allow for about 30% battery on landing.
Ok, thanks. Guess I will give it a go. Cheers.

Thank you for this thread, I was looking that app yesterday but why so many 1 star reviews?

Thank you for this thread, I was looking that app yesterday but why so many 1 star reviews?

I just took a look at the reviews for the Android version and many of the 1 star reviews are left by people who haven't done their research. (for example not downloading the Litchi beta version for use with the Mavic Mini, or being upset that it doesn't work with the Mavic Air 2 yet, even though that isn't an advertised drone that is supported due to DJI not releasing the Mavic Air 2 SDK yet)

I can attest to Litchi being a solid and reliable flight app. Also included with your account is the Litchi Mission Hub which is a PC or Mac based mission planning interface. You can sit in your chair at home and plan a mission and save it, and then download it into the app while in the field flying. Pretty slick. You have to maintain a high level of detail in mission planning though. One little mistake or oversight can ruin the day. Best to start with very simple missions and build in complexity from there.

I have an MPP that I use Litchi only when flying. I have a 77-acre farm that I have waypoints set up so I can let it fly by its self to certain areas to check for deer or other wild animals. I save the missions so I can fly them over & over.
Excellent idea!

Reactions: Jay241
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929