DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Mavic 3 LTE Dongle Being Sold ANYWHERE Yet?

jelarv

Reactions
I just ordered the M3 and RC-Pro and was hoping to get the 4G LTE dongle, but it's not on their U.S. website. DJI replied last night to a post, saying it's not available yet in North America. My question: "is it available anywhere?" I travel a lot and would like to start using it as soon as possible even if it means using it with a friend who lives in another country. Please let me know if you see it available in any other country. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
I am not sure is this will be a Dongle itself. I guess should be an LTE card slot. I am probably wrong
Can’t you connect the SC via your phones hotspot?
My understanding is the dongle will be on the drone, not on the SC. They should just add an LTE sim slot, where we just need to add a sim card on it. Not sure if is an actual dongle where you insert the sim card.

Why though?

doesn’t the drone get connectivity through the controller?

Why though?

Yes it does. but DJI now claims that if you lose connectivity from the regular OccuSync2-3 you will be able to control the drone via LTE4 connectivity. Obviously, you will need to have an internet connection with the controller as well as probably throw your phone internet connectivity in order to work. Is my guess will do this throw the DJI account.

Why though?

doesn’t the drone get connectivity through the controlle

Why though?

The signal goes through the cell tower network rather than directly from the controller to the drone. This should reduce connectivity problems around tall trees

If the drone loses connection to the controller, it’s automatic RTH?

Or at least you can configure it that way?

If the drone loses connection to the controller, it’s automatic RTH?

Or at least you can configure it that way?
There are tons of questions... Once we have one in our hands we can start answering.

DPR are claiming the dongle won't be available in the US, the EU or the UK:

A cellular transmission dongle will also become available in the future (although we are told that it is not expected to be available in North America, the European Union, or the United Kingdom) and this will help the drone keep its connection in congested areas, especially if it's flying between buildings

Last edited:
Wow...I just received a phone call from a DJI rep (caller ID showed "Shenzhen Guangdong, China") who very kindly explained the 4G LTE Dongle is not being sold anywhere at present and there is no decision on when it will be for sale (anywhere in the world)

In response to some of the questions in this thread, Parrot has a 4G drone in the works, which is the only other one I've seen: Here’s what ANAFI Ai’s 4G LTE connectivity feature will cost you

I'm not suggesting I'll go that route (still waiting for my Mavic 3 which DJI emailed as "Shipped" 3 days ago but FedEx has only been sent the label information), but for someone who has constant signal problems due to tall oak trees, the 4G technology would be great to have.

Wow...I just received a phone call from a DJI rep (caller ID showed "Shenzhen Guangdong, China") who very kindly explained the 4G LTE Dongle is not being sold anywhere at present and there is no decision on when it will be for sale (anywhere in the world)

In response to some of the questions in this thread, Parrot has a 4G drone in the works, which is the only other one I've seen: Here’s what ANAFI Ai’s 4G LTE connectivity feature will cost you

I'm not suggesting I'll go that route (still waiting for my Mavic 3 which DJI emailed as "Shipped" 3 days ago but FedEx has only been sent the label information), but for someone who has constant signal problems due to tall oak trees, the 4G technology would be great to have.
I just watched a video from DC Rainmaker that the LTE dongle will NOT be sold in the US or UK and EU due to restrictions on the LTE bands. Totaly bummer because I was honestly looking forward to it, I live in a dense area with a lot of radio towers, cell towers and ham radio operators and thought having the LTE as a back up would of been great to have. This was one of the primary reasons I ordered the Mavic 3.....

I just watched a video from DC Rainmaker that the LTE dongle will NOT be sold in the US or UK and EU due to restrictions on the LTE bands. Totaly bummer because I was honestly looking forward to it, I live in a dense area with a lot of radio towers, cell towers and ham radio operators and thought having the LTE as a back up would of been great to have. This was one of the primary reasons I ordered the Mavic 3.....
I'm starting to think DJI threw the 4G capability into their promo video at the last minute to keep customers from defecting to other options such as Parrot's Anafi or any other competitor who may introduce this (there's speculation Autel is going to offer this option). If the Mavic 3 is like the Mavic 2, DJI's technology will need to be "cutting edge" for 2-3 years to avoid losing share to new entrants. This gives them the option to launch it if a viable competitor starts to offer it without going through the trouble of finalizing the technology (and navigating each country's cell signal regulations) before the Mavic 3 launch.

Reactions: shb and Droniac
I'm starting to think DJI threw the 4G capability into their promo video at the last minute to keep customers from defecting to other options such as Parrot's Anafi or any other competitor who may introduce this (there's speculation Autel is going to offer this option). If the Mavic 3 is like the Mavic 2, DJI's technology will need to be "cutting edge" for 2-3 years to avoid losing share to new entrants. This gives them the option to launch it if a viable competitor starts to offer it without going through the trouble of finalizing the technology (and navigating each country's cell signal regulations) before the Mavic 3 launch.
An administrator on the DJI forums mentioned, 5 days ago, that due to regulations for the 4G dongle being different in different countries, they are working on that. They are looking into whether they can release it in North America and as of now have no plans on when and if it will be released in NA.

Even without the dongle, or 4G capability, their drones are still better than the competition. However, the advantage will surely close up if they fail to further innovate.

But everything taken into account, from flight experience, to video/photo, and ecosystem, I can't imagine anyone can unseat the Mavic Pro line within the next 5 years.

They're have to get it certified with the FCC and counterpart agencies in other countries.

Then you have to find carriers offering data-only SIMs. In the US, that probably means you have to add a $10 a month item to your account.

They're have to get it certified with the FCC and counterpart agencies in other countries.

Then you have to find carriers offering data-only SIMs. In the US, that probably means you have to add a $10 a month item to your account.
Their temperature is pretty low here in the US. There is even talk of them being banned, but I don't know if there's any credibility to it.

The one thing they have going for their LTE approval is they can perhaps do RID with it.

I just ordered the M3 and RC-Pro and was hoping to get the 4G LTE dongle, but it's not on their U.S. website. DJI replied last night to a post, saying it's not available yet in North America. My question: "is it available anywhere?" I travel a lot and would like to start using it as soon as possible even if it means using it with a friend who lives in another country. Please let me know if you see it available in any other country. Thanks!
Screenshot_20220209-204053_Chrome.jpg

To me, the main advantage of the dongle would be unlimited range, even at low altitudes. I agree with the previous post, that DJI advertised it only to spur sales. So who knows when, or if, we will get it. Just buying the dongle by itself probably won't work.

There is a hidden compartment on the underside of the RC-Pro under the screws that has a snap connector in it in a wire. I suspect that is part of the 4G setup.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa