DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is MAVIC Pro still relevant?

Old Man Grizz

Reactions
Howdy Folks,
I currently have a Mini 2, and MAVIC Air 2,(along with a Hubsan Zino).
I enjoy having a small fleet to tinker with.
My question is, is an original MAVIC Pro worth picking up?
The prices seem to be affordable, but how long do you think parts/batteries will be available?
Also contemplating a Spark, but parts etc. are already getting hard to find (and expensive!)
Just tossing this out there ....
Thanks so much for all your help and information over the years...
Be Safe....
Fly Safe.....
Old Man Grizz

Reactions: mereflyer
I have a Spark and love it. It is a great drone but as you have discovered parts, especially batteries are hard to find and expensive and as time goes on will become even more expensive. Unless you can find a complete package with the Spark and at least 3 good batteries at a good price, then I would say it is not worth it.

When I say a good price, I mean much less than what you could get the closest current DJI offering which would be the Mini SE which in Canada goes for $479.

Chris

The Mavic Pro and Spark are two totally different animals with very little to compare. I have both (2 of each LOL).

I see the Spark as a fun toy to fly around the basement or to teach new operators how to fly without risking much $$. Also have used the Spark when I had a client wanting us to fly their facility (indoors) and we had to fly down hallways and into/out of offices etc. The small formfactor worked great in tight quarters but the camera difference was painfully obvious.

We use the Mavic Pro (Platinum) as our backup system incase we have GeoFecning issues (ours has no flight limitations so it works in areas our M2P will not) and it does a good job when called upon. The camera isn't as good as the M2P but it's a lot better than the Spark. Also you can readily get MP batteries from online sources although they are not genuine DJI but the (4) we have all perform splendidly without a hiccup in over a year now.

Also, I forgot who told me, but the Mavic Pro is the only fully hackable DJI drone. I believe it was @RadioFlyerMan

Last edited:
@Old Man Grizz the relevance of the original Mavic pro and the Mavic Pro Platinum,is not so much to do with the drones themselves ,but more to do with your location ,in the world where you intend to fly them,in the UK and the EU they are going to be very restricted to where they can fly at the end of 2022 unless you have a GVC which is the equivalent of the part 107 in the US so for hobby flyers then there will be a limited time period for being able to fly them under the present rules ,i am still of the opinion that the MPP that i own and fly ,was, and still is the best all-round DJI drone of the Mavic fleet, for its build quality and longevity of flying life and apart from having to fit a new gimbal ribbon cable a few months ago, mine still fly's as reliably as it did when it was new in 2018

Still flying mine and it is a original first batch drone from the day of its release in 2016.
Absolutely no restrictions and has been a workhorse for my needs. As long as we can get batteries for it, I will keep it in the sky! ;)

In my opinion the Mavic Pro still is a very capable and reliable drone. Unfortunately, batteries are the problem since DJI no longer produces them. However, there are third party batteries available today which are very reliable but be careful to get the right ones. Other than that, the Mavic Pro is a great piece, and I am sure we will see it for a while! And as already mentioned you can load a firmware with a customized flight controller.

In my opinion the Mavic Pro still is a very capable and reliable drone. Unfortunately, batteries are the problem since DJI no longer produces them. However, there are third party batteries available today which are very reliable but be careful to get the right ones. Other than that, the Mavic Pro is a great piece, and I am sure we will see it for a while! And as already mentioned you can load a firmware with a customized flight controller.
What exactly are the "right ones"?

What exactly are the "right ones"?
Unfortunately, I cannot answer this ☹ But I am convinced that this forum will gladly help you out 😊

I disagree with @BigAl07 about the Spark being a fun toy. The Spark is a very capable drone that takes excellent photo’s especially in good lighting conditions. It’s limited to 1080p for video so if you are into video and you need more than than that and can’t deal with a 2 axis gimbal, it’s not for you. The Mavic Pro is obviously a more capable drone and at the time was much more expensive.

One other note, the Spark has powerful motors and can handle a stiff wind so I would not be flying it indoors unless you have a large house with lots of space as it can do lots of damage or hurt someone. A Tello would be a better choice for indoor flying.

Chris

I disagree with @BigAl07 about the Spark being a fun toy. The Spark is a very capable drone that takes excellent photo’s especially in good lighting conditions. It’s limited to 1080p for video so if you are into video and you need more than than that and can’t deal with a 2 axis gimbal, it’s not for you. The Mavic Pro is obviously a more capable drone and at the time was much more expensive.

One other note, the Spark has powerful motors and can handle a stiff wind so I would not be flying it indoors unless you have a large house with lots of space as it can do lots of damage or hurt someone. A Tello would be a better choice for indoor flying.

Chris

We will have to agree to disagree on this one Chris :)

The Tello is not only a toy, it's a cheap toy. I would only fly it if I knew I was going to lose it :)

The Spark handled flying indoors splendidly. We flew down long narrow corridors, in/out of offices, through single doors, double doors, up & down staircases, and out over recreational equipment (weight rooms, yoga/aerobic rooms) with ease. No prop guards or anything just the aircraft and operator. We shot over 2 hours (not all at once but in all) of footage from one end to the other of an 80,000sqft building and it operated flawlessly. I'd guess we ran through 3 dozen+ battery packs shooting for that client just with the Spark. It's a long cry from a Mavic for sure but it has a place just not "replacing" a Mavic.

In an office space, yes that would be fun with the Spark! I have always used my Spark as an easy to launch portable drone that I can take with me pretty much anywhere (hiking, Nordic skiing, etc) but now the Mini’s have that covered.

Regardless, I don’t think it is worthwhile for the OP to invest in a Spark now as it is dead end tech. There are no third party batteries available which means once the few original ones that already cost a fortune dry up, the Spark will be a paper weight. At least with the Mavic Pro you can still purchase third party batteries off Amazon at a reasonable price so that drone has some life left in it.

Chris

Howdy Folks,
The prices seem to be affordable, but how long do you think parts/batteries will be available?
Also contemplating a Spark, but parts etc. are already getting hard to find (and expensive!)
Be Safe....
Fly Safe.....
Old Man Grizz
no

• Sad
Reactions: slozukimc
Howdy Folks,
Be Safe....
Fly Safe.....
Old Man Grizz
Still a good drone. Really depends on what you're buying it for and what it comes with.
You can always Superpatch it.

Was worth it for me. 🙂

I found a good deal on an MPP kit in the classifieds here last April - love it! It came with 4 OEM batteries, 3 sets of OEM props and 1 MAS set, a nice carry case, a tablet bracket, and lots of other extras. I snagged two new OEM batteries when I found some on Amazon, so (if I don't crash it 🥴) I should be set for several years of happy flying.

The MPP is all the drone I need... handles great in tight spots, good camera, strong signal, strong power to weight ratio so it handles stiff wind very well, and GO4 is a much better app than GO3 (or FLY). I moved up from a P3P, so it was like getting out of an old truck into a Lexus. 😀

Even like that I can fly it with phone/tablet only, no controller needed... also like the idea of Super Patcher, but haven't done it yet.

Last edited:
I own a Mavic Pro and have since 2017…
This lil babe is bullet proof..
It’s been wrecked several times and I’ve always only had to repair ribbon cable..
It was lost once for 30 day’s and during that time we had several torrential rains, wind, sun, and even frost..
When it was finally found and I went to pick it up the battery was slightly swollen..
I brought it all home, swapped a different battery and my Mavic fired right up and flew just like it always had!!!!
The battery however has one bad cell but I keep it as a charger for phone..
I LOVE my MP….

Howdy Folks,
Be Safe....
Fly Safe.....
Old Man Grizz
I have a Mavic Pro and a P4P original. My go-to drone is the Mavic Pro. Very portable and quick to launch. Never had a problem with either. I now have DJI white Goggles and they wirelessly connect to the Mavic Pro. Almost like being back in the cockpit. Photos look great as well as the 4k video. I have read so many problems with the newer DJI drones, so glad I have 2 of the most stable platforms.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf